2012 Election | Barack Obama | Israel | Mitt Romney | News

Romney Trashes 'Unsolvable' Mideast Peace Process, Obama's Foreign Diplomacy in New Clips: VIDEO

Israel_romney

Some new clips are out today in the series posted by Mother Jones in which Romney trashes the two-state solution for Israel and the Mideast peace process in general.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Says Romney:

And so what you do is you say, "You move things along the best way you can." You hope for some degree of stability, but you recognize that this is going to remain an unsolved problem. We live with that in China and Taiwan. All right, we have a potentially volatile situation but we sort of live with it, and we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately, somehow, something will happen and resolve it. We don't go to war to try and resolve it imminently. On the other hand, I got a call from a former secretary of state. I won't mention which one it was, but this individual said to me, you know, I think there's a prospect for a settlement between the Palestinians and the Israelis after the Palestinian elections. I said, "Really?" And, you know, his answer was, "Yes, I think there's some prospect." And I didn't delve into it.

Romney also talks about Iran's nuclear ambitions and the prospects they could produce a dirty bomb, though Mother Jones notes that "Romney didn't appear to understand that a dirty bomb—an explosive device that spreads radioactive substances—does not require fissile material from a nuclear weapons program. Such a bomb can be produced with, say, radioactive medical waste."

Says the GOP nominee:

If I were Iran, if I were Iran—a crazed fanatic, I'd say let's get a little fissile material to Hezbollah, have them carry it to Chicago or some other place, and then if anything goes wrong, or America starts acting up, we'll just say, "Guess what? Unless you stand down, why, we're going to let off a dirty bomb." I mean this is where we have—where America could be held up and blackmailed by Iran, by the mullahs, by crazy people. So we really don't have any option but to keep Iran from having a nuclear weapon.

Finally, Romney trashes Obama's foreign diplomacy:

The president's foreign policy, in my opinion, is formed in part by a perception he has that his magnetism, and his charm, and his persuasiveness is so compelling that he can sit down with people like Putin and Chávez and Ahmadinejad, and that they'll find that we're such wonderful people that they'll go on with us, and they'll stop doing bad things.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

On the Mideast conflict:

On Iran's nuclear goals:

On Obama's foreign policy:

Comments

1. Dear Mr. Romney:

Thank you for your observations.

Now, please sit down and shut up.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 18, 2012 8:45:04 AM

2. Would any of this actually affect the opinions of people already supporting him?

Posted by: Pyre | Sep 18, 2012 8:56:54 AM

3. Drip, drip, drip....Romney does't care, he's doubled down on every stupid mistake. Maybe this is a brilliant strategy turn off as many voters as possible, insult everybody, by election day Obama will be so far ahead the Democrats will be too complacent to show up.

Posted by: Gilbert | Sep 18, 2012 9:10:10 AM

4. What a babbling idiot. Does he know anything about world politics?

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 18, 2012 9:15:48 AM

5. Romney seems very jealous of Obama's charm and ability to connect with people. As he should be!

Posted by: Tanoka | Sep 18, 2012 9:37:11 AM

6. LOL, he has Obama's foreign policy down pat.
    "It's the movie! The movie! They LOVE me!"

Posted by: MarkUs | Sep 18, 2012 9:38:22 AM

7. @MARKUS, I don't think Obama charmed Bin Laden into killing himself, or charmed his way to the end of the War in Iraq.

Romney keeps finding ways of politically stabbing himself in the leg. My only hope is that people for Obama don't think its so much of a done deal that they don't show up.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 18, 2012 9:48:58 AM

8. @MARKUS, I don't think Obama charmed Bin Laden into killing himself, or charmed his way to the end of the War in Iraq.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 18, 2012 9:49:04 AM

9. @MARKUS, I don't think Obama charmed Bin Laden into killing himself, or charmed his way to the end of the War in Iraq.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 18, 2012 9:49:06 AM

10. @MARKUS, I don't think Obama charmed Bin Laden into killing himself, or charmed his way to the end of the War in Iraq.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 18, 2012 9:49:08 AM

11. @MARKUS, I don't think Obama charmed Bin Laden into killing himself, or charmed his way to the end of the War in Iraq.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 18, 2012 9:49:08 AM

12. @MARKUS, I don't think Obama charmed Bin Laden into killing himself, or charmed his way to the end of the War in Iraq.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 18, 2012 9:49:08 AM

13. @MARKUS, I don't think Obama charmed Bin Laden into killing himself, or charmed his way to the end of the War in Iraq.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 18, 2012 9:49:12 AM

14. @MARKUS, I don't think Obama charmed Bin Laden into killing himself, or charmed his way to the end of the War in Iraq.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Sep 18, 2012 9:49:13 AM

15. What I don't get is why he's so honest with this crowd when he won't say anything of substance to the press or general public. To what end does this serve? Why are they so special? And, as he found out, what's to stop them spilling the beans?

Posted by: anon | Sep 18, 2012 9:51:02 AM

16. It used to be that a Republican candidate could rattle around the old bones of Osama bin Laden, "he's still out there, he's coming to get you, be afraid, but I'll protect you" but Obama has taken away that ploy by doing what the Republicans said was "not that important."

Now the skeleton to shake out at public speeches is Iran and their nukes. Did you ever think what difference it would make if Iran had a nuke? What are they going to do with it? Besides ensure the destruction of their own country? You can't nuke Israel without killing a whole lot of Arabs.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Sep 18, 2012 9:51:26 AM

17. LOL After saying such things so vehemently he for one, sure has lost the election.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 18, 2012 10:07:03 AM

18. I'm not saying there isn't some opening to criticize Obama's foreign policy decisions -- generally speaking -- but Mittens is absolutely the last person with any authority to do so.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 18, 2012 10:07:49 AM

19. Well Romney won't discuss about civil rights issues because he has more important issues to discuss. Now we know what are these issues.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 18, 2012 10:10:58 AM

20. Markus - Obama has had some success with his negotiating skills. Prior to Obama, it had been some time since a president or secretary of state did any real negotiating - so maybe you're just not used to it. It's worked very well for America when presidents have used those skills. More importantly - how would you characterize Romney's foreign policy plans? The net result of his comments is an admission that he has none - literally none. I just hope you don't vote - ever.

Posted by: Markt | Sep 18, 2012 10:11:39 AM

21. Obviously all these revelations regarding romney are not going to stop the red zombies from voting for him, but he needs the independents to win and he is frightening them away with his incompetence!

Posted by: Blake | Sep 18, 2012 10:13:12 AM

22. NOT an eloquent speaker whatsoever!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!!! Can you imagine him addressing the general assembly @ the UN!!!!???? He would be laughed off the podium!!!! They should sell tickets to the debates- hottest ticket in town!!!!!

Posted by: ToddA | Sep 18, 2012 11:00:58 AM

23. @I COULD GO ON, BUT I WON'T

Well, all of those Arabs living in Israel proper - especially in Israel's North - haven't prevented Shi'ite Hizballah from firing rockets from Lebanon. Of course, it's possible that Shi'ites in Lebanon don't care, because the vast majority of Israeli Arabs are Sunni. But in that case, why should Iranian mullahs care - they're Shi'ite too. And on top of that, vast majority of Iranians are not Arabs. (These issues of religion and ethnicity don't make much difference in the US, but they play quite large in the rest of the world.)

Posted by: Victor | Sep 18, 2012 12:01:45 PM

24. " Why are they so special? "

Because he trusts them. The American public, not so much.

Posted by: BobN | Sep 18, 2012 2:27:29 PM

25. Is Towleroad so money hungry that they have to post anti-Obama ads on this post with homosexual tendencies? Shame on you Andy Towle. Our freedoms depend on an Obama victory. Did you get 30 pieces of silver to post that ad?

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 19, 2012 4:23:07 AM