2012 Election | Arizona | Crime | Immigration | Paul Babeu | Republican Party

Sheriff Paul Babeu Cleared Of Wrongdoing

Gay sherriff paul babeu

Things are suddenly looking good for Sheriff Paul Babeu, of Pinal County, Arizona. Recall: He's the famed immigration hawk who was considered a rising star in the GOP, with appearances on FOX News, cameos in John McCain campaign ads, and a Romney campaign chairmanship -- until the Phoenix New Times broke the story of his long-term gay fling with an illegal immigrant named Jose Orozco, whom it appeared Sheriff Babeu had promised to deport if the young man divulged details of his and Babeu's relationship.

After the story broke, Babeu immediately came out of the closet, canceled his scheduled run for Congress, cut his ties to the Romney campaign, and recomitted himself to Sherififng. On Tuesday he handily won his primary election, and yesterday he was cleared of wrongdoing in the  Orozco flap.

From Reuters:

"The Attorney General's Office will not file charges against either Babeu or Orozco," Solicitor General Dave Cole said in a statement released on Friday.

"The investigation determined that Babeu did not commit any criminal violations and further concluded that, although Orozco conducted himself in a manner that may constitute a violation of the law, there was no reasonable likelihood of conviction on anything more than a misdemeanor charge."

Sheriff Babeu was pleased that the "truth has won out," and blamed the whole scandal on election-year-politics.

Comments

1. You can't villify a dude because his boyfriend, who other stories say had a sketchy past himself, came out against him during a messy break up. If all my exes who I had a messy break up with were to create fake stories about me, or even share real stories about our heated arguments, and an employer were to actually use that against me, many of us wouldn't be able to find a job ever. I'm not saying the ex boyfriend lied, but I hav no reason to believe he didn't either. This dude will hopefully become a better human being now that he's openly gay, and as someone above noted, exercise better judgment in picking better boyfriends.

Posted by: Cali Greg | Sep 1, 2012 5:23:53 PM

2. A-- Although I think anyone Gay who stays in the present version of the repub party is BATSHIT, this is a free country.

B- He was always out, never hid, just did not announce it. For a Sheriff, that seems reasonable to me.

C- Notice that the bf is the one proven to break the law. At the time the story first hit here, I wanted to post that it is NO shock at all for a Gay man born in Mexico to tell mean stories about an ex bf, but I thought I would get landed on for saying it

Posted by: Bob | Sep 1, 2012 5:32:07 PM

3. It amazes me, all gay people are expected to tow the liberal democrat line in these issues. Democrat: Good, Republican: Bad.
    He is a conservstive so he MUST follow ALL the conservative platform. He is law enforcement so he must be a stormtrooper. He has been cleared, Arpaio has been cleared, get over it. He has come out or should I say forced out.
    There are many conservative gays, myself included. I am a conservative because I am first and formost a man. Being gay is only part of me. I plan on retiring soon, and I don't want my retirement income to be given over to failed government programs for non producers and illegal immigrants. Does that sound selfish, well too bad.
    Do I support gay rights aand marriage ? Yes. Do I support them to the exclusion of my freedom to keep what I eaarn? No.
    In conclusion, Babeu is a brave public servant and he deserves our respect.
    I realize I will be stoned for this post, its okay I've been pilloried before.
    Babeu is still a hotty!

Posted by: I wont grow up | Sep 1, 2012 7:45:04 PM

4. He threatened his boyfriend with deportation. He's a scumbag of the highest order.

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 1, 2012 8:41:08 PM

5. To the self-righteous and conceited liberals who frequent Towleroad, all I can say is, Suck It Up! Your perceived moral authority on all things gay gets weaker by the day. You can leave the plantation anytime you wish, though many of you suffer from Stockholm Syndrome, which will require years of therapy.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 1, 2012 10:02:37 PM

6. Bravo Matt, I couldn't say it better. In fact I wish I'd said it.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Sep 1, 2012 11:35:18 PM

7. Bravo Matt, I couldn't say it better. In fact I wish I'd said it.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Sep 1, 2012 11:35:19 PM

8. @Matt: It was Republicans who killed Babeu's Congressional campaign because he's gay--i.e. they forced him off the national plantation, so if the Stockholm Syndrome applies here, it applies to those who suck up to the party that believes Paul and you deserve zero civil rights.

Liberals may disagree with Babeu's immigration stances but they're not his constituency and not the ones who stopped funding his dreams of higher office. Thank the conservatives for that. CPAC loved him only till he came out. Gay liberals had nothing to do with his downfall, yet gay conservatives can't seem to let go of the absurd idea that his boyfriend woes were some kind of liberal plot.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 1, 2012 11:52:44 PM

9. Good luck Sheriff Paul Babeu in living your life as an out gay man. I am sure it has taken a lot of courage to face the ordeals that you have had to face during this last year. You should check out the democratic party. It is a much friendlier home for gay folks like us.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 1, 2012 11:58:38 PM

10. This officer exploited the relationship with the Mexican guy. Because of homophobia in America he felt the need to keep the relationship a secret. In a perfect world, gay couples would have immigration statues in America by now anyway.

Posted by: James | Sep 2, 2012 2:28:45 AM

11. SO, SEXY Sheriff Paul Babeu "GETS-OFF!" YEAH, BABY!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 2, 2012 7:40:21 AM

12. Yes Little Kiwi says the Sheriff has no balls. Where are Little Kiwi's balls when he is terrified of condemning Muslim atrocities against the little Christian girl in Pakistan.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 4, 2012 1:29:19 AM

13. Again Little Kiwi charges this sheriff with having no balls while Kiwi remains silent in the face of Muslim atrocities against that innocent Christian girl in Pakistan. Who is it that are testicle deficient? LITTLE "BALLLESS" KIWI.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 4, 2012 2:08:57 AM

14. Again Little Kiwi charges this sheriff with having no balls while Kiwi remains silent in the face of Muslim atrocities against that innocent Christian girl in Pakistan. Who is it that are testicle deficient? LITTLE "BALLLESS" KIWI.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 4, 2012 2:08:57 AM

15. Little Kiwi rants against this "right-wing white" Sheriff, yet not a word against the Muslim bigots who are persecuting that Christian girl in Pakistan. We know who the testicle deprived one is.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 4, 2012 4:24:32 AM