Earlier Today on Towleroad: Bill Clinton and Homophobic Football Fans

_ylt=AvDncsIXSozCCTGsnXYVfVoavMB_;_ylu=X3oDMTFka3BkYnE0BG1pdANCbG9nIEJvZHkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQmxvZ0JvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTM3dGM1YzNvBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDNjg1YmQ5N2YtNzJkMy0zNTZhLWFhMzMtZGQ1OGM1NWRiZjAwBHBzdGNhdANtb3JlfHJpdmFs

While tonight was all about the Convention, there was plenty of news earlier today.

Bill Clinton created must see television at the Democratic Convention last night. The former President gave a fiery and impassioned plea for Obama's re-election. If you missed the speech and want a recap of some important points, check out this link. Halfway around the world, Hillary was moved by her husband's words. Who else misses Clinton's presidency?

This will probably come as news to pretty much no one but Alabama doesn't seem like the best place to be gay, at least judging by the gay bashing going on at high school football games. Pretty gross guys. Needless to say everyone had pretty strong opinions about this heavily commented-upon post. In other disturbing news, the four U.S. Marines arrested for beating up a gay man were released on bail today. It was very disturbing that an Australian Christian leader said that being gay was worse for your health than smoking, but at least the Prime Minister's response was appropriate

Great news! Chloe Sevigny just made a new video about what she likes to read.

Downton Abbey is about to return (finally), along with some gay intrigue. Just when it seemed they had forgotten about Thomas' storyline it's been resurrected. Lady Gaga showed off her new "ArtPop" invention on YouTube.. Also an odd accent. Remember Chris Daughtry? Well he got ripped!

Lastly, if you're gay and like to skydive, do it like this!

Comments

1. "Gay bashing going on at high school football games" and "Hoist homophobic banner". Get real! Talk about overkill. You are an expert. What you saw at that football game was not "gay bashing" nor was it "homophobia".You are like the boy who cried wolf too often. Grow up. Get the chip off your shoulder.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 6, 2012 11:33:11 PM

2. Andrew, YOU dont get to decide what is offensive to our community. You are not qualified considering your complacency and indifference toward all gay topics here.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Sep 7, 2012 4:39:11 AM

3. Andrew, and yet anytime someone makes any comment about black people, you pull out a race card and act like a ghetto fool on here. That's rich that YOU are telling gay people to 'get over it' when you having playing the race card down to an art. It's people like you that create a friction for some gays toward black people. The only injustice you can see is your own.

Posted by: Dallas | Sep 7, 2012 4:41:13 AM

4. Dallas-
    Ignore Andrew. His Chik Fil A support and how he vocally supports all anti gay forces and stories and wants us to be as indifferent as he is tells you all you need to know. Now seeing he's a rabid Obama supporter tells me he's a plant here who can't stand our community, yet is getting paid to promote Obama . I'm assuming he's southern baptist as well. Always fun to see the pattern in posting of bigots.

Posted by: Art Smith | Sep 7, 2012 4:43:37 AM

5. @ Andrew
    If you want to play dumb, that's on you, but don't you dare tell gay people that anti gay language they witness isn't anti gay.

Saying "thats gay!" in a manner thats meant to make being gay have a negative connotation attached to it is heavily homophobic, downright vile and will ALWAYS be called out and challenged by the 30+ million LGBT in this country. Know that. And know that people like you on the sidelines only fuel our fire more when you try to redefine what we know is homophobia. If people were saying "eww thats's so African American" you would be the first in line protesting on the streets. So save your angelic Mother Teresa bull about how the phrase 'thats gay' has nothing to do with gays. You just want free reign to be able to use it without getting called out for it. So long as self respecting gays like me exist, that day will never come. And there's millions of gays out there like me.

Posted by: 2 Dads | Sep 7, 2012 4:48:45 AM

6. Andrew
    Arguing that a statement that clearly puts the word gay as a pejorative is not offensive and is perfectly fine makes me start to believe what other posters are saying about you may be true. Something about your posts and writing style actually remind me of Rick and Ratbastard, and your views and wording don't seem very distant from theirs either. Hmmmm....

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Sep 7, 2012 4:51:14 AM

7. Andrew:
    you are too ignorant to dignify a response; but I will say, good luck in trying to get gays to be as careless about respect as you seem to be. The 25,000 gay rights organizations in this country and hundreds of thousands of GLBT members and allies of those organizations will never stand by idle as they get directly disrespected with sayings like -that's gay- uttered in their presence. They will stand up and speak up an challenge such ignorance, today more so than ever before.
    It makes me thrilled to know, your silent little voice does nothing to get GLBT to be careless toward their self respect. Today, we care more than ever and that passion infuriates people like you. Here's to hoping it causes you a speedy aging process, cuz baby, we ain't going to go nowhere, and neither is our loud unified voice demanding our equal respect.

Posted by: Dancer4Life | Sep 7, 2012 5:11:55 AM

8. On another topic, great speech by Clinton explaining disastrous republican policies. But Let's not forget he signed nafta, dadt, doma, and the repeal of post depression era regulation which allowed the banking debacle to take place.

Posted by: rick scatorum | Sep 7, 2012 5:16:21 AM

9. I was that kid that used the phrase 'that's gay' in school and I can tell you it absolutely DOES mean gay = lame and is meant to indirectly insult gays. Most peeps who use it usually do know exactly what they mean and are doing when they say it. Every and any honest and not fake person will tell you that. People usually don't say it past high school because as you grow, you begin to be more considerate of those around you. But at 14, you are uncomfortable with gays and saying something is gay means it is either stupid, lame or bad. It's derived from homophobia and to even suggest otherwise is pretty lame itself. Keep it real.

Posted by: CityBeats | Sep 7, 2012 5:45:37 AM

10. @Durantion&Convexity,

I am not 'Andrew' or 'Rick'.

And I think the banner is mocking gays and is so-called homophobic or anti-Gay.

Posted by: Ratbastard | Sep 7, 2012 10:07:24 AM

11. Hey, DALLAS,

you just caused me 20 minutes going through the Towleroad archives to look up postings by Andrew. You assume he is Black. I can't find him saying that he is. He is an ardent supporter of President Obama, but I can't find saying that he is Black. I thought he was White.

You played the race card when you called him "ghetto"--as though Black and "ghetto" are the same. He uses no inner-city slang in his postings. I do. Call me a name. I'll answer you, DALLAS.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 7, 2012 10:07:58 AM

12. LOL @ anyone who attempts to sell us on the hogwash that the saying "that's gay" has nothing to do with gays and isn't homophobic. Just LOL at that foolishness. Get the hell outta here with that. You must thinks gays are as smart as Paris Hilton

Posted by: Yellow T | Sep 7, 2012 11:07:16 AM

13. @Dallas and Art and all the knee jerk posters. For the record, I am an old white guy and an agnostic ex-Catholic or as we say "a fallen away Catholic" I never play the so called race card, although I am a strong supporter of racial equality. In fact, as a college student in D.C. in the middle 60's I was in civil rights demonstrations sponsored by the SCLC. Just because I am not a thin skinned cry baby, like some of you, looking for hurt and insult everywhere doesnt mean that I am not a stong, out and proud gay man. I am a life long liberal democrat. One of the reasons I support Mr. Obama is because of his progressive positions on gay and most other issues. To be called homophobic etc by a bunch of cry babies is hysterical. OH, I also volunteer at the local LGBT Community Center. Many of you are as intollerant of contrary views and opinions as the wing nuts on the right.
    In closing, you cry babies can kiss my GAY a$$.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 7, 2012 12:57:06 PM