Anderson Cooper | News | Transgender

Transgender Activists Protest Anderson Cooper's 'Sensationalism': VIDEO

MandiCooper

Today's installment of Anderson Cooper's daytime talk show, Anderson Live, revolves around Mandi, a person who was born a man and claims that a hair loss treatment made him identify as a woman. Or woke a female identity. Or implanted a female identity. Something like that, maybe.

The official description of this seemingly far-fetched phenomenon reads thusly: "Mandi, who was born male, speaks out for the first time, claiming that a hair loss treatment caused him to become transgender. Mandi is joined by her ex-wife, Michelle, who opens up about how Mandi’s identity transformation has affected their son."

This scenario raises all sorts of problematic questions about transgender identity and its origins, and has definitely raised ire from the National Center for Transgender Equality. Executive Director Mara Keisling says Cooper's premise is "sensationalism" and spreads "misinformation".

Her statement:

All of us here at the National Center for Transgender Equality are surprised, saddened and disappointed that a respected show like Anderson Live would give credence to this type of sensationalism and misinformation. This segment is just another case of sensationalizing an already marginalized population plain and simple.

Kiesling continued by saying that though "Cooper and his team have earned a great deal of respect from trans people for their coverage of our issues," this latest endeavor "throw[s] all of that away." "They seem set on misinforming the public about the causality of trans identity," she said.

If you agree, NCTE is asking supporters to tweet the following message: "I share @TransEquality’s disappointment in @anderson for sensationalizing #trans lives. http://act.ly/62x #lgbt RT to #KeepAndersonHonest".

Watch a promo for Cooper's show AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Trans people are real. And they face such uphill battles even within the community (as seen by some comments on this story).

LGBT people face similar discrimination not only throughout the laws in most countries, but also bigotry and shame (as seen by the comments on this story). We need to fight for equality together because it should not matter how you identify. It is about being yourself, being proud of that, and having the same rights as the privileged class of cisgender heterosexuals that have oppressed us for many many generations. Discrimination is discrimination and should be fought against by everybody!

It's HUMAN rights, people!!

Cisgender: birth sex matches gender identity; transgender people have their birth sex not matching their gender identity.

Posted by: Suj | Sep 14, 2012 7:30:14 AM

2. First of all, I agree with Mara Keisling and NCTE. Anderson Cooper should know better than to give a forum for such a ridiculous story. I was hoping his show might be an opportunity discredit this nonsense and to educate the public on the neurobiological etiology of Gender Variance and possibly Sexual Orientation, but it turned into a Jerry Springer-like freak show. It would have actually been useful to have a medical expert in embryology and neurobiology to scientifically refute this lunacy.
    I do not believe Mandi is gay. She may be bisexual but she seems happily attracted to women. I do believe she has legitimate gender conflict that has probably been repressed since childhood. I also think she is confusing her sexuality with her gender issues. I'm not even sure if she know whether she is a cross dresser or transsexual. Somehow the medication, which is a Testosternoe blocker, may have allowed her to process and explore subconscious issues that had previously been repressed but I certainly do not believe it made her Trans. It may have made her less agressive and lowered her sex drive. If that's what she describes as being Trans then she is confused.
    Lastly, I am saddened by the rude comments made by a couple of gay men regarding Trans people. As a Trans person who evolved out of the gay community, I have had a rare taste of gay bigotry towards Trans folks and effeminate gay men. Fortunately, most gay men and lesbians are very much in solidarity with the Trans Community.
    The few jerks who make such rude comments are probably insecure about their own gender presentation and are threatened by those of us who dare to express ourselves honestly. There are certainly some Trans people whom I dislike just as there are some gays and lesbians I do not like. I would not try to generalize about the entire community based on a few bad apples.

Posted by: Nicole H | Sep 14, 2012 2:54:02 PM

3. First of all, I agree with Mara Keisling and NCTE. Anderson Cooper should know better than to give a forum for such a ridiculous story. I was hoping his show might be an opportunity discredit this nonsense and to educate the public on the neurobiological etiology of Gender Variance and possibly Sexual Orientation, but it turned into a Jerry Springer-like freak show. It would have actually been useful to have a medical expert in embryology and neurobiology to scientifically refute this lunacy.

Posted by: Nicole H | Sep 14, 2012 2:54:03 PM

4. @ Rick: If it wasn't for the drag queens who revolted at Stonewall, your ass would probably still be getting put in jail for being in a gay bar. You can thank the Gender Community for helping start the Gay Liberation Movement. You might want to remember that aspect of history.

Posted by: Nicole H | Sep 14, 2012 2:57:59 PM

5. @ Rick: If it wasn't for the drag queens who revolted at Stonewall, your ass would probably still be getting put in jail for being in a gay bar. You can thank the Gender Community for helping start the Gay Liberation Movement. You might want to remember that aspect of history.

Posted by: Nicole H | Sep 14, 2012 2:58:00 PM

6. There's not a lot of scientific evidence for what causes a person's sexual orientation or gender identity; furthermore, sexual identities and gender identities can look different in other countries and cultures.

I find it hard to discount this person's experience. I don't think trans activists should abandon one of their own just because her reasoning does not fit some acceptable standard.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 14, 2012 6:30:09 PM

7. To receive more information concerning this subject the subsequent . fantastic work Use this page to your friend told you. Thanks

Posted by: Food Poverty | Jan 19, 2013 7:02:59 AM