News | Pageants | Reality TV

Does One of These Men Have What it Takes to be the U.S. Ambassador for Gay? - VIDEO

Americangay

A forthcoming reality series follows a group of gay men vying to be represent the United States in the 'Mr. Gay World' competion and are tested for "hotness, strength, knowledge, leadership and much more."

Check out the teaser, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via boy culture)

The Next American Gay Sizzle from Humanity Pride Productions on Vimeo.

Comments

1. So these men are piggy backing on those real gay men who tirelessly fought for decades. But now they are too old and absless to be seen on television?

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Oct 8, 2012 10:18:36 AM

2. "Hottness" lol, someone needs spell check.

Posted by: homer | Oct 8, 2012 10:25:36 AM

3. This is a parody, right?

Posted by: Mike | Oct 8, 2012 10:28:02 AM

4. No, bambino: the judges and others you reference just lend credibility to the contest; why trash them like that?

This looks like a fun contest to me. I know a lotta y'all will squack against it, but I see it as HUGE PROGRESS actually:

How many times before have we seen a fun affirming show that prizes young gay men's character to a remarkable degree---and doesn't send the message that mere attractiveness is all that matters?

This is the first one that I remember. Bravo.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Oct 8, 2012 10:37:52 AM

5. worst. tv show. ever. ...though the cub in the blue t-shirt is kinda hot.

Posted by: stephen | Oct 8, 2012 10:39:32 AM

6. ... seriously?

Posted by: reality | Oct 8, 2012 10:42:41 AM

7. Bad tv. Bad for the gays. Bad for the world.
    This is just too, too bad for everyone.

Posted by: Nathan | Oct 8, 2012 10:49:32 AM

8. Yuck.

But ya it might be progress, kind of.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 8, 2012 11:00:56 AM

9. This is a joke right?

Posted by: Gast | Oct 8, 2012 11:02:17 AM

10. This is what assimilation looks like. We're here, we're thoroughly co-opted, get used to it.

Posted by: melvin | Oct 8, 2012 11:24:00 AM

11. This is what assimilation looks like. We're here, we're thoroughly co-opted, get used to it.

Posted by: melvin | Oct 8, 2012 11:24:01 AM

12. Despite Wikipedia and useless online dictionaries, gay is solely an adjective. If you can't use the singular...

Posted by: John | Oct 8, 2012 11:24:06 AM

13. My vote is for the one with the biggest yanker. Whip 'em out boys, let's see our winner!!

Posted by: RJP | Oct 8, 2012 11:28:55 AM

14. Yulk. Pathetic Jersey Shore!

Posted by: Pommie | Oct 8, 2012 11:31:12 AM

15. Any of them pediatricians, or molecular biologists studying cell signaling pathways or viral receptor site structure?

Posted by: Jersey | Oct 8, 2012 11:40:06 AM

16. If this is "progress" please count me out.

Posted by: Rafael | Oct 8, 2012 11:58:04 AM

17. Really? That has to be the worst idea ever, if not an outright joke. The only thing that would redeem it would be a cast of ivy leaguers, financial wunderkinds, and a neuro-scientist or two. Tired.

Posted by: Brad | Oct 8, 2012 12:13:58 PM

18. simply pathetic

Posted by: john | Oct 8, 2012 12:17:12 PM

19. That looks horrible. Beyond horrible.

Posted by: Jerry | Oct 8, 2012 12:19:57 PM

20. Fabulous!

And I means that in the worst possible way.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 8, 2012 12:28:42 PM

21. I disagree with y'all. It's ok to have a run of the mill show that is playful like this.

Maybe your insecurities make you uncomfortable with it? (I'm half kidding; I'm not claiming this is great TV...just as-worthwhile "reality" TV at least, maybe more.) Am I hearing commenters hooked on gay exceptionalism who are uncomfortable looking at normal gay guys in a playful reality show??

Sure beats "A-list gays that aren't" or "real house-husbands who are catty" whatever that silliness was. Am I wrong on at least this last point? :)

Posted by: just_a_guy | Oct 8, 2012 12:35:25 PM

22. I disagree with y'all. It's ok to have a run of the mill show that is playful like this.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Oct 8, 2012 12:35:27 PM

23. Why should heterosexuals have a monopoly on tacky reality shows?

Posted by: Stan D | Oct 8, 2012 12:35:27 PM

24. Ask yourself this: if in the 1960s or even more recently we had a Miss America pageant for only Black women, would that count as "progress" or "assimilation"? No. The only time we support "separate but equal" in this country is by biological sex and sometimes by age with regard to living environment. I can't figure out why so many gay men are okay with being defined primarily by their sexual orientation, and a stereotypical vision of what the lived experience of that orientation is.

Posted by: Stefan | Oct 8, 2012 12:45:28 PM

25. @Stefan: Actually there used to be a Miss Black America pageant, which seemed to whither once we started to see black Miss America winnners.

Posted by: Albert | Oct 8, 2012 1:08:44 PM