Atlanta | Gay Pride | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lesbian Couple Says Two Men Attacked Them in Hate Crime Over Gay Pride Weekend: VIDEO

Atlanta

A lesbian couple says they were attacked by a couple of men during Atlanta Pride over the weekend, FOX5 reports:

Kathryn Katalinich and Brooke Creef tell FOX 5 News that the attack was disturbing by its very nature and its timing.

They say that two men targeted the couple early Saturday outside a popular Atlanta hotel because of their sexual orientation. They said the men grabbed and pushed them to the ground. The men ran after the couple say they started to scream for help.

They are hoping surveillance video from the hotel will help investigators find the two men.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Comments

1. Atlanta, the city to busy to hate, my ass. I live in Atlanta. I know it has plenty of time to hate. I am sure there were plenty of people around during Pride Weekend who could have helped, but I am just glad that they had the strength and courage to scream or it may have been worse.

Posted by: TruthHurts | Oct 15, 2012 3:02:30 PM

2. This is really sad to me because when I heard it was pride weekend in Atlanta, I halfway expected something like this to happen.

Atlanta may have a high LGBT population but unlike many others, it has a very high hate crime rate. Kathryn and Brooke are brave for coming forward and hopefully the attackers are caught.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 15, 2012 3:04:36 PM

3. Sorry, I meant to say "unlike many other similar cities." Atlanta is still the South and there is still much hate and ignorance. Most important thing now is the attackers are off the streets.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 15, 2012 3:07:18 PM

4. I feel for these women. So sorry they had this terrible experience!

Posted by: rhea | Oct 15, 2012 5:04:01 PM

5. A lesbian was surrounded and threatened by transgender activists in NYC this year. Video is on Youtube. Still waiting for Towelroad to cover that story, just as we are waiting for it to cover all the other instances of trans activist violence directed at lesbians and gays.

Posted by: Sharon | Oct 15, 2012 5:08:56 PM

6. If it were two men, everybody on here would be blaming the victims.

Posted by: dh | Oct 15, 2012 6:20:49 PM

7. DH - don't be silly. Lots of people here think it's cool for two men to be kissing passionately on a street corner anywhere they choose. No one would ever suggest that such men were asking for it. They were just "expressing themselves" and ought to be free to do so. Don't you agree.

As for these two unfortunate women, lesbians do make certain kinds of men extremely angry. Of course they're louts - but a lot of men feel left out or wounded by women, add to that outright sexual rejection and tensions rise. This is certainly not to suggest that violent men have any good reason to be so.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 15, 2012 6:56:13 PM

8. DH - don't be silly. Lots of people here think it's cool for two men to be kissing passionately on a street corner anywhere they choose. No one would ever suggest that such men were asking for it. They were just "expressing themselves" and ought to be free to do so. Don't you agree.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 15, 2012 6:56:14 PM

9. These women are lying.

Posted by: Y | Oct 15, 2012 7:30:40 PM

10. Prove it, Y.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 15, 2012 9:45:54 PM

11. They were drunk. I was a by stander, their story is flawed, they did not tell the story in entirety in how they were being racists, calling others derogatory names, getting in peoples faces and starting conflict. This is why no one helped, because they started throwing blows, they were not beaten and that is a fact.

Posted by: Y | Oct 15, 2012 9:53:36 PM

12. I hope the tapes are reviewed carefully, these women were heavily intoxicated and out of line in their conduct, now they want to play victim when they showed first signs of discrimination towards OTHER WOMEN, but they didn't mention that in the story. Flawed.

Posted by: Y | Oct 15, 2012 9:56:01 PM

13. If I was there I would have stood up to them. I have enough anger in me from bigots I can't even see straight. I'm also sure if I would have intervened you would have helped me. I'm so sorry this happened.

Posted by: Kini Cosma | Oct 15, 2012 11:12:47 PM

14. I just had to comment on how beautiful those women are! I couldn't even focus on the story thanks to their faces lol. The one on the left looks like Jenna Marbles. <3 :)

On to the report...

Posted by: Shaunie | Oct 16, 2012 6:53:53 AM

15. OK, Y, if that is all true, you should contact Atlanta police. But if men did attack these women and use a slur that isn't OK regardless.

I have to ask, Y, are you gay? Because a lot of straight folk lie and say they are gay and create a sympathetic story for the bashers in these hate crime incidents.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 16, 2012 9:23:31 AM

16. How much drinking, drug taking and partying was going on in Atlanta? We all know [if I may presume] what happens when people 'Party', don't we? The atmosphere can get pretty ugly.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 16, 2012 9:26:09 AM