Chris Kluwe | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Matt Birk | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

NFL Player Matt Birk Makes Anti-Gay Ad for Catholic Church and Equality Advocate Chris Kluwe Responds: VIDEO

M_birk

In a video for the Minnesota Catholic Conference, Baltimore Raven center Matt Birk doubles down on the anti-gay sentiment he expressed in an op-ed for the Star Tribune this week in support of Minnesota's upcoming ballot measure that would constitutionally ban same-sex marriage.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

C_kluweMinnesota Viking and equality advocate Chris Kluwe responds with six reasons on his blog, this being the last one:

The only impact same-sex marriage will have on your children is if one of them turns out to be gay and cannot get married. What will you do (and I ask this honestly) if one or more of your kids ends up being gay? Will you love them any less? What will your actions speak to them, 15 years from now, when they ask you why they can’t enjoy the same relationship that you and your wife have now? And if your response is “We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it”, well, for a lot of people that bridge is here right now. They’re trying to cross it, but the way is barred, and I will do my best to tear those barricades down any way I can because I believe that we are infringing on the free will of other human beings by denying them their basic right to live free of oppression. I love my daughters for their minds and their personalities, not for who they love as adults. That’s none of my damn business, and I will support them in life no matter who they want to marry.

Ultimately, while your letter is respectful and polite (and I’ve tried to keep mine the same way, no SPARKLEPONIES in this one), I remain unconvinced by any logical reasoning you have so far brought to bear on the subject. I encourage you to keep speaking out, as we should never be afraid to espouse our views, but from a rational standpoint I simply cannot agree with discrimination against a subset of our citizenry.

Read Kluwe's full statement here.

And watch Birk's video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well said Chris.

Posted by: Phil | Oct 2, 2012 7:45:20 AM

2. Mr Kluwe has earned my respect, not because he supports my "subset", but because he is a fine American who aligns himself with the principles of freedom, responsibility and the pursuit of happiness.

There is no need to be afraid of an open, just and inclusive society. Love doesn't redefine itself.

Posted by: Rafael | Oct 2, 2012 7:46:17 AM

3. The ONLY argument he made against marriage equality was that children deserve to have both a mother and father. But, he gave no explanation as to how allowing committed same-sex couples to marries stops committed hetero couples from marrying, having and raising children. The reason he gave no explanation is because there is no explanation.

Most same-sex couples don't raise children. And, those couples who do, don't get those children by stealing them out of loving hetero families that were raising them.

Does he believe that by not allowing same-sex couples to marry eventually they will enter into heterosexual relationships? And, even if some do, is that good for anyone involved?

His real argument seems to be that government recognition of marriage equality would set a bad example for children by teaching them that there is nothing wrong with "teh gay".

Posted by: Tim NC | Oct 2, 2012 7:57:11 AM

4. wow if anyone could make me become a football fan it's chris kluwe. so beautifully stated. thank you thank you!

Posted by: matt | Oct 2, 2012 7:57:59 AM

5. You can tell that Birk had no part in writing what he was reading. He's just parroting Catholic dogma.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 2, 2012 8:00:25 AM

6. I LOVE Chris Kluwe!

Posted by: DanSwon | Oct 2, 2012 8:06:14 AM

7. He's just a mouthpiece for NOM, you can smell their BS a mile off.

Posted by: Sylvatica | Oct 2, 2012 8:08:18 AM

8. Well stated! I wonder if Chris will enter politics after he retires from the NFL.

Posted by: Albert | Oct 2, 2012 8:11:49 AM

9. My respect for Chris Kluwe grows. His arguments are rational and well written. I will never understand why people find it necessary to try and make everyone conform to their particular religious ideology. This is about civil rights. All citizens are equal. Simple.

Posted by: Tammy | Oct 2, 2012 8:12:37 AM

10. Matt Birk is such a bone-head. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's a closeted bisexual guy at the very least. The closeted ones are always the worst.

If Birk is so concerned about the stability of marriage, he should be welcoming gay marriage with open arms. Gay marriage affirms monogamy. It affirms stability. It affirms every value that is held dear by Catholics.

Posted by: jason | Oct 2, 2012 8:16:20 AM

11. Should we anoint Chris Kluwe as an "honorary gay"? OTOH, perhaps the mere mention of "SPARKLEPONIES" already puts him in that category!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 2, 2012 8:19:19 AM

12. I don't want honorary gays, I want real gays and bisexual men. Honorary sucks. I've had enough of honorary. Step up to the plate - simple as that.

Posted by: jason | Oct 2, 2012 8:25:13 AM

13. Funny thing about this guy who wants us not to "stop talking". Comments are disabled on his video. Imagine that.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 2, 2012 8:36:47 AM

14. The other thing I noticed about Matt Birk's article is that it adopts the "killing with kindness" approach to gay people. This attitude is typical of the Catholic Church and involves stressing how polite and considerate we all must be in considering this issue. Do NOT fall for it.

It's a clever way of being polite to those whom you intend to oppress. Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly....

Posted by: jason | Oct 2, 2012 8:38:22 AM

15. @HADENOUGHBS Chris Kluwe is fantastic! Let's definitely give him lifetime "honorary gay" status. It is the least we can do. If the gentleman has any charities or causes he supports, then maybe we could donate to them.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 2, 2012 8:40:43 AM

16. I heart Chris Kluwe. What a stand-up guy. I'm glad he's on my side and he plays for MN. As for this creepy "We love you while we oppress you" BS it really concerns me. And it's clearly the work of NOM. If you are going to spit in my face do. DOn't spit in my face and wring your hands about how bad it is that people spit in my face.

Posted by: AJ | Oct 2, 2012 9:09:57 AM

17. He was given money by NOM to speak up against Marriage in Minnesota...what a tool

Posted by: Josh | Oct 2, 2012 9:18:53 AM

18. Even Harvard graduates bigots whom cannot think for themselves. A true Catholic brainwashing through and through.

Posted by: JT | Oct 2, 2012 9:39:59 AM

19. What's next for Mr. Birk? A video guide in allowing child molestation to fester in 10 steps or less? A how-to book in convincing yourself you're not gay at all?

Posted by: Michael | Oct 2, 2012 9:46:28 AM

20. Kluwe's response is very well done. The reason he can't find evidence of logical reasoning in Birk's various blathing is that Birk is responsible for one of the most internally inconsistent statements of a viewpoint I have ever read. Logic doesn't inform any part of it, and when your basis is Catholic dogma, or really any other religious justification, you have left logic (and compassion) at the door.

Birk's "justification" is so weak and his points simply don't hold water, such that it essentially proves the point of marriage equality advocates.

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Oct 2, 2012 10:10:19 AM

21. Odd opinion from a guy who makes a living bending over and letting another man place his hands on his genitals.

Posted by: dcinsider | Oct 2, 2012 10:27:13 AM

22. @SoLeftImRight: "or really any other religious justification" closes the door to vibrant pro-LGBT efforts among many religious groups which should be encouraged and not mocked.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 2, 2012 10:27:22 AM

23. I couldn't help but notice that the comments section of the video is disabled. What is this Catholic group afraid of, decent? Also, likes/dislikes are disabled as well. Looks like they're afraid of people's opinions being against them.

Posted by: ROBfromVA | Oct 2, 2012 10:35:08 AM

24. @Jason: Thanks for making several good comments.

Posted by: Stefan | Oct 2, 2012 11:05:41 AM

25. The Catholics worked with Hitler and the Nazis so this is no different than when they parade out their anti-gay Christians to spew propaganda about people they hate, they learned from the best hater there was Hitler and his Nazis so they know how to spew propaganda. If the anti-gay Catholics had their way they would be rounding up LGBT people and the people they hate and put them in concentration camps to murder them, just like they did to the Jews and Homosexuals in Nazi Germany.

Posted by: Bob | Oct 2, 2012 11:49:13 AM