Brendon Ayanbadejo | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Matt Birk | News

BigGayDeal.com

Brendon Ayanbadejo on Teammate Matt Birk's Anti-Gay Advocacy: His Kids Will Disagree with Him One Day

Ayanbadejo

TMZ asked Baltimore Raven Brendon Ayanbadejo how he feels about his teammate Matt Birk's recent column and video advocating for the protection of marriage

Birk“We had a conversation about other things, about him and our relationship, not about us being on different sides,” Ayanbandejo told TMZ.

Brendon says his family and Matt’s family spend time together socially, and their kids like to play together.  That won’t change. But Brendon says he hopes to have a deeper discussion about the issue with Birk sometime in the future.

“Of course I disagree with his stance, but I’m not gonna tell someone how to raise their kids,” Ayanbadejo tells us.  “He wants the world to be a better place for his kids."

“I think just from where we’re heading, his kids will grow up to have a different opinion from him, I’ll just leave it at that.”

Comments

1. .....if Birk's potentially-gay kid(s) live long enough

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 2, 2012 12:35:36 PM

2. These football players are really earning my respect. What a thoughtful, measured response. And the best part is, he's right. Now if politicians would follow their lead, we might have a rational discussion about important issues.

Posted by: Smartypants | Oct 2, 2012 12:38:02 PM

3. Remember that Birk has 5 or 6 kids. He needs to learn something about probability.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 2, 2012 12:44:58 PM

4. EXACTLY, Diogenes. between his kids, the palins, the santorums, the bachmanns, brian brown's brood, romney's collection of sons.... there are gays. GAYS. it's the simple law of numbers.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 2, 2012 12:49:11 PM

5. OH MY DEARS, DON'T YOU JUST LOVE IT, MORE AND MORE OF THESE BEAUTIFUL BUTCH MEN, BUTCH MANLY MUSCULAR JOCKS PROMOTING HOMOSEXUALTY IT JUST SENDS ME INTO A VERITABLE TIZZY. WILL WONDERS NEVER CEASE. PERHAPS IN THE FUTURE WE SHALL SEE AN ENTIRE FOOTBALL TEAM PROMOTING "BACK DOOR" ANTICS. I SEE A CALENDAR IN THE WORKS DON'T YOU?

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Oct 2, 2012 1:15:21 PM

6. Just because it's grating on me, but those who are seeking to deny marriage are not "protecting" it. The silliness of "protecting" marriage from people who want to get married should be obvious.

Those who seek to deny marriage are not "protecting" it any more than those who seek to stop gay people from having happy homes are "pro-family."

Let's not buy the pig swill they're selling.

Posted by: Rrhain | Oct 2, 2012 2:14:04 PM

7. I wish I could have Brendon all to myself...^_^ Sexiest football ally i've ever seen. DAMN SEXY!!!

Posted by: Alexander | Oct 2, 2012 2:24:29 PM

8. I'M NOT REALLY A SOCK PUPPET ACCOUNT FOR RICK, NO REALLY, I'M NOT. I TOTALLY SWEAR, YOU GUYS!
    I SWEAR ON THE GRAVE OF MY MOTHER WHO I HATED SO MUCH BECAUSE SHE MADE ME WEAR DRESSES AND HAVE SEX WITH STRANGERS WHILE SHE WATCHED. I DIDN'T WANT TO DRINK THAT GUY'S PEE FOR $20 BUT MY DADDY NEEDED THE MONEY TO SUPPORT HIS CRACK HABIT.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Oct 2, 2012 2:24:31 PM

9. @Diogenes: "Remember that Birk has 5 or 6 kids. He needs to learn something about probability."

Not to mention birth control.

Posted by: This Message Sponsored by TROJAN | Oct 2, 2012 2:24:48 PM

10. Yes, they have yet to explain how "protecting marriage" from people who WANT to get married works. How exactly is it that MORE people seeing marriage as a desired ideal harms the institution of marriage?

It seems to me that those gay people who want to be married have far more respect for marriage than those who claim it can be ruined. I'm pretty sure that if marriage can withstand Newt Gingrich's shenanigans it's pretty much bullet-proof. Do you know what the current record is for number of marriages by a living person? 23. TWENTY-THREE separate and legal marriages by one person. When I looked that up she was divorced and looking for number 24 so maybe the number is higher now.

But gay people are going to somehow "ruin" marriage? F*ck you. If it isn't broken already it can't BE broken!

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 2, 2012 2:41:21 PM

11. What's fascinating about this is that Brendon has taken upon himself a burden none of us here can.

To BE friends with those we disagree with, and to patiently and respectfully listen to them, be there for them, and never, ever, give up hope that someday they'll change their mind.

There's something almost biblical about that. Just sayin'.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Oct 2, 2012 3:31:21 PM

12. well i aint allowing a Klan member into my life. there's patience and respect, and then there's enabling.

there is no "agree to disagree" when it comes to facts.
    there is no "agree to disagree" when it comes to the prejudice and bigotry at the core of these anti-gay beliefs and ideals.

for too long people have been outcasts and social pariahs for being LGBT. the time is now to turn the tables, the anti-equality bigots deserve to be pariahs.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 2, 2012 3:43:04 PM

13. The final piece of the puzzle.....

Brendon and Birk and their families spend time together. I bet Birk's other family and friends were making fun of him for spending time with someone who supports gay rights so Birk, like the usual dumb straight man, felt threatened and embarrassed so decided to issue a statement against gay rights to show his other friends that he's a "real man".

TRULY PATHETIC. He's just another dumb sports player who would be in a minimum wage job if he wasn't lucky enough to be picked to play football.

Oh well, in a few years time he will be too old to play football and all his money will be gone. That's karma.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 2, 2012 4:15:42 PM

14. Kiwi, you missed the point entirely.

There's instant gratification, and there's working towards a goal.

"they can redeem themselves by simply making the great mental leap from the dark ages."

Thanks for just proving my point.

And see what I did there ? I actually quoted something that was actually stated, not something I badly paraphrased, and then argued against. That would be called integrity.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Oct 2, 2012 7:25:44 PM

15. Matt Birk is on the wrong side of history on gay rights. His children or more likely his grand children will look at him the way we all look at George Wallace and the Southern segregationists today.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 3, 2012 2:23:56 AM

16. THE OTHER COMMENTERS LEAVE OUT "THE CATHOLIC THING" which is pretty much the key to understanding this.
    NOM is in there someplace, too -- conservative catholics in the front, mormons in the rear.

Posted by: Bob | Oct 3, 2012 4:18:01 AM

17. @Bob: "THE CATHOLIC THING"
    Yes. Why else would he have 5 or 6 children? I'm also amazed that he takes the hierarchy seriously.

@Icebloo: Remember he was listed as the sixth smartest athlete (out of twenty) by Sporting News. For some reason Kluwe isn't on the list.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 3, 2012 1:37:31 PM

18. The amazing thing is that on Birk's facebook pages the flood of "supporters" are LITERALLY outright anti-gay bigots. "They choose to be gay, why uh'we gots ta accept them choosing a sin?"

no joke.

the stunning reality is that for many people, the Birks of the world, they'd rather have a dead kid than a gay one.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 3, 2012 1:41:40 PM