Crime | News | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Texas Couple Wakes Up to Find 'Leave Or Die Fags' Painted on Their Front Porch: VIDEO

Leaveordiefags

Joshua Harrison and Jeremy Jeffers, a gay couple in Clarendon, a town of about 2,000 people in the Texas panhandle, say they woke up to find a message reading "Leave or Die Fags" painted on their front porch. The couple says they noticed a change in town attitude toward them after an inflammatory ad about the "homosexual movement" written by a pastor appeared in the local paper, ProNews 7 reports:

ClarendonpaperThe couple said that after a newspaper advertisement ran in late September, residents started treating them differently.

"It's funny that two weeks after this article comes out in the newspaper that people in town are starting to be rude to us and then we get out front porch vandalized," Harrison said.

The newspaper advertisement was published in the Clarendon Enterprise. Written by Clarendon Church of Christ Pastor Chris Moore, the ad depicted the alleged platform of the 'Homosexual Movement.' In the ad, Moore used the National Coalition of Gay Organizations as his source. A Pronews 7 investigation found virtually no information on the coalition other than it was a convention from 1972 -- 40 years ago.

The ad listed seven bullet points that warn residents about the homosexual movement, including a line that said "Folks, don't be fooled, the 'gay' agenda isn't about 'equal' rights for gay couples. Their agenda would force everyone to compromise their values, make our children legal prey for pedophiles."

The couple says they are now fearing for their lives and are considering moving away.

Watch an interview with the couple and the pastor, AFTER THE JUMP...

Clarendon_couple

And here's raw video of the couple's interview:

Comments

1. My advice is LEAVE! We had "Move or die" spray painted on our patio door last year. We decided we liked the "move" part more. We are now living in Gulfport, Fl...a great community with is very tolerant of all people.

Posted by: Chris Spencer | Oct 3, 2012 9:34:18 AM

2. Superior reporting.

Posted by: trees | Oct 3, 2012 9:37:11 AM

3. Arm yourselves! Shoot anyone that comes on your property! STAND YOUR GROUND!

Posted by: d | Oct 3, 2012 9:42:49 AM

4. The pastor is a trip. "Oh, I don't apologize for my hateful anti-gay rant, but you know, I never told anyone to vandalize the home of those queers, how un-Christian of the person who did that."

I am so sorry Joshua and Jeremy are having to deal with this, but moving is the best idea. Let a cesspool be a cesspool and get out with your health and sanity intact. You both are worth so much better than these evil bigots.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 3, 2012 9:46:08 AM

5. Nice couple. Get some home surveillance equipment installed, indoor/outdoor camera, that kind of stuff, so you have a better chance of identifying vandals in the future.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2012 9:52:14 AM

6. @D,

Absolutely; if you're unarmed, get armed.

There are of course more gay-friendly places to live, but maybe they're comfortable there and otherwise like it. Many gays don't want to live in a big city or gay ghetto.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2012 9:54:32 AM

7. When do we start filing defamation of character suits against people like this pastor?

Posted by: RHR IN TN | Oct 3, 2012 9:56:42 AM

8. I wouldn't presume to offer advice to these men. But if there are not enough good people in this community to support them and stand up to the evil result of the utterances of an unchristian minister, then they may have no choice. Is there a black or minority community in Clarendon that might be supportive? Who are their allies? Also, publicity may help.

With the exception of a few laws in the larger cities, Texas has historically been a black hole when it comes to civil rights for LGBTs.

Posted by: My2cents | Oct 3, 2012 10:07:41 AM

9. This post is awesome! Thanks to the author.

Posted by: termpapermonster | Oct 3, 2012 10:07:49 AM

10. I was raised in the Church of Christ and these people are total nut jobs. They believe their church predates all other Christian churches. No historical record, that's just what they believe. All other religions are going to hell, even the Baptists. They do not allow musical instruments in the church because the Bible does not specifically say to play instruments. Women are not allowed to address the church. I remember a minor controversy in our church over the vocal arrangement of certain songs which gave prominence to womens voices on certain verses. Some folks thought this counted as addressing the church. Leadership is limited to "husbands of one wife."

Posted by: Biff | Oct 3, 2012 10:20:53 AM

11. I read about this on reddit two days ago. My suggestion is the same. Use this hateful act as a catalyst to start some sort of campaign. Get out the word that you are having a huge gay rights fundraiser to fight hate at your house. Flood that d@mn neighborhood with supporters. Raise a ton of money to fight organizations like the church that did this. In the end, it might be better to move anyway, but use this as something positive. If every gay person out there that was threatened like this automatically turned it into a way of getting as much support as possible, it would stop being a hateful act and start being something positive. Don't let the haters win.

Posted by: AJ | Oct 3, 2012 10:24:36 AM

12. Why I am passionate about freedome os speech, when people lie about us or use junk science they should be sued. Not that I had anything vandalized but when the whole prop H8 campaign was happening in
    California in 2008, noticed some "church folk" sort of backed away from me. The pastor of this church needs to be looking at the sin in his own life, or spend his energy helping people.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Oct 3, 2012 10:27:59 AM

13. I wrote a letter to both the newspaper and the pastor of the church. I encourage others to do the same.

Posted by: Tish | Oct 3, 2012 10:30:53 AM

14. One other thing: For the life of me I do not understand what sort of moral compass a human being has that makes an act like this okay. I just don't. I know it's fear and ignorance, but seriously: What the eff goes through your head while you are doing it? Here in MN a bunch of homes with Vote No signs in Blaine were vandalized and male and female genitalia were spray-painted on their garages. What goes through your head? Seriously!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 3, 2012 10:33:11 AM

15. One other thing: For the life of me I do not understand what sort of moral compass a human being has that makes an act like this okay. I just don't. I know it's fear and ignorance, but seriously: What the eff goes through your head while you are doing it? Here in MN a bunch of homes with Vote No signs in Blaine were vandalized and male and female genitalia were spray-painted on their garages. What goes through your head? Seriously!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 3, 2012 10:33:57 AM

16. One other thing: For the life of me I do not understand what sort of moral compass a human being has that makes an act like this okay. I just don't. I know it's fear and ignorance, but seriously: What the eff goes through your head while you are doing it? Here in MN a bunch of homes with Vote No signs in Blaine were vandalized and male and female genitalia were spray-painted on their garages. What goes through your head? Seriously!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 3, 2012 10:33:59 AM

17. What kind of message does it send if a gay couple moves from their home simply because a crackpot (or probably a 12 year-old child) painted a "warning" on their porch? This couple should stay put and install surveillance cameras if they think the vandals will return.

Posted by: Perry | Oct 3, 2012 10:45:27 AM

18. What a nice, thoughtful and articulate couple. I wish them well.

I wonder what moved the pastor to write his article at this point in time. He obviously is ignorant, quoting some non existent "National Coalition of Gay Organizations" from some event that happened 40 years ago, and spreading the lie that gay people are pushing a pedophile agenda. And he seems to be oblivious to the fact that words have consequences.

Posted by: john patrick | Oct 3, 2012 10:56:02 AM

19. That Christian pastor is an evil scumbag, and while it's easy for him to sit back in his comfy chair and say he doesn't condone this crime, he is still at fault because he deliberately sought to incite hatred with his advertisement. The same goes for the newspaper that published it.

And notice that I didn't use scare quotes when I called him a Christian. That's because what he did and what the vandals did were totally, 100% Christian.

We've been the victims of violence and persecution at the hands of Christians for more than 1,700 years, and we're kidding ourselves if we think that Christian violence and persecution against us today is some anomaly or new phenomenon. In truth, it's gay-affirming Christians who are new, not gay-hating Christians.

Gays shouldn't just leave bigoted small towns. They should leave the Christian religion as well. The sooner that cult dies - along with its sister cult, Islam - the better.

Posted by: AJD | Oct 3, 2012 11:03:36 AM

20. Pastor Chris Moore should be locked up for inciting hatred against these people.

Posted by: DanSwon | Oct 3, 2012 11:10:14 AM

21. And they wonder why people go on mass killing sprees in America...

Posted by: DanSwon | Oct 3, 2012 11:11:15 AM

22. Agreed with Perry. Indeed, at what point in time is it ever okay to allow religious zealots to rule a town using intimidation tactics, especially a death threat. Granted, it's not a simple matter of buying a gun. Just because you own one, doesn't mean you can go brandishing weapons every time some nut job decides to vandalize your personal property. If anyone knows what the law is considering this matter, I'd be interested to know and it would definitely be helpful for these guys. I'd damn sure use whatever means necessary to protect my home and family from intruders, but violence isn't going to solve the problem without a tremendous number of additional complications to follow.

I hope that a surveillance company with a superior product will be willing to step up to the plate and assist this couple in having their home monitored. Their other concern should most definitely be for their pet(s). Any person that shows such a lack of judgement and considers threatening vandalism acceptable, certainly won't have any more respect for the life of an animal.

These are two very well-spoken and educated young men that chose to live a quiet life in a town they know and understand. They shouldn't have to fear their neighbors and be run out of town, so to leave does indeed send a very poor message to the local taliban. Unless they're just looking for a reason to leave and this was the catalyst (which I doubt very seriously), then what they really need is a show of numbers - people willing to drive to and show up in Clarendon to let the sick minded individuals of the local so-called "church" know that this kind of behavior won't be tolerated.

Posted by: ESA | Oct 3, 2012 11:12:07 AM

23. Seriously, get out of Texas. Best decision anyone can make (gay or straight).

Posted by: Randy | Oct 3, 2012 11:12:22 AM

24. Scary experience for a nice couple, but I hope they will not be intimidated into leaving. For a lot of GLBT folks the battles aren't in the big cities but in home towns across middle America. Jeremy touches on that when he talks about expecting the place where he grew up to be "sanctuary" after time in the big cities. A surveillance system seems appropriate.

Gotta say I'm impressed that a little TV station in Amarillo, one that apparently can't afford lights for their remote interviews, did such an even-handed report, and even released raw footage.

And I'd be more impressed with this church if they sent out a work crew to clean the graffiti off Josh and jeremy's porch. Now that *would* be Christian!

Posted by: SC David | Oct 3, 2012 11:31:24 AM

25. Religion is poison, it poisons everything. Religion thrives on hate, ignorance and intolerance. The antidote is reason, something that is in ever diminishing quantity in this country.

My advice is to move out of the sewer called Texas, where critical thinking is outlawed in schools but creationism is taught as science. I think Phil Sheridan said it best: "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent Texas and live in Hell."

If you foolishly decide to stay, I would do as some other posters recommend, get surveillance cameras and arm yourselves and learn self defense. But, since you're just renting and one of you has already lost their job, I'd move to a more tolerant place, far away from Texas and the south. Life is short, choose a happier and more inclusive environment.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 3, 2012 11:38:34 AM