Ben Gibbard | Gay Marriage | Music | News

Death Cab's Ben Gibbard Discusses Support for Marriage Equality, Joy at His Sister's Wedding

Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie talks about his support for marriage equality, and the joy he felt at seeing his sister marry, in a Daily Beast post:

GibbardIt was at Capitol Hill out here in Seattle. My sister was in this beautiful dress and her wife was wearing this great suit. It was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen. I was tasked with playing a few songs during the wedding and I just couldn’t get through it. I was bawling. It was just too much joy.

At some point over the course of the evening, I remember talking to my dad and he told me, “This is more wonderful than anything I could have expected for my daughter ... This is it.” My sister found this amazing human being and it was the same joy, the same love, and the same experience as any straight wedding I’d ever been to. For me, it was much more emotional because it was my sister—and also just being there and seeing my parents overwhelmed with pride and joy. When she came out they initially thought, Our daughter’s life is not going to be what we thought it was, but it turned out to be greater than anybody could have possibly imagined.

My familial ties are one of the many reasons that I’ve become involved in raising money to help push through Referendum 74 (R-74), to approve the February 2012 bill that would legalize same-sex marriage in the state of Washington. If Washington State can pass this referendum, we’d be the first state to pass gay marriage by a popular vote. The opposition is very strong but the thing that gives me hope for the future is that marriage equality is polling at about 80 percent among people under the age of 25. This issue isn’t going to go away; support is only going to get stronger and the voices will only get louder. I would just feel so much pride for my state if we could pass it by a popular vote and show the rest of the country that this is the direction we are going in.

Comments

1. Ben - You rock. hahahaha. Great statement about his sister and may she and her partner have many wonderful years together.

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 31, 2012 2:22:47 PM

2. I wonder if Ben Gibbard would be effusive in his praise if it was his brother marrying a guy. Straight men are often less happy if it's two men marrying as compared to two women. There's a double standard.

This is why I don't trust straight guys and nor do I trust lesbians who exploit this double standard.

Posted by: jason | Oct 31, 2012 4:25:06 PM

3. jason: why do you have to question this guy's motives when he has said absolutely nothing to even suggest anything other than his whole-hearted support?

Posted by: jenn | Oct 31, 2012 5:17:09 PM

4. Jenn: because he's a homophobic, misogynistic, femmaphobic troll who comes on here only to froth up reactions and send the comments section off on a tangent. He does it every day and it's tiresome. Please do not address him/it as it will only encourage him to keep posting. He's one of Towleroad's most notorious trolls. And he's pathetic.

Posted by: MateoM | Oct 31, 2012 5:24:28 PM

5. ^^Jason'd. Always check the username first. Especially on posts like this.

Posted by: Soledad O'brien | Oct 31, 2012 6:06:10 PM

6. lovely lovely LOVELY :-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 31, 2012 6:12:28 PM

7. I have never seen a straight guy refer to two gay men together as beautiful. Straight guys seem to reserve their praise for two women, not two men.

Don't deny that this hypocrisy exists in straight guys. It proves what I've said all along: straight men are phonies. Women also need to be criticized because they exploit this hypocrisy to further their anti-male and anti-male-to-male agenda.

Posted by: jason | Oct 31, 2012 7:06:00 PM

8. Everyone ignore Jason/Rick, infamous troll of Towleroad.

Posted by: MateoM | Oct 31, 2012 8:31:57 PM

9. @Mateom, I guess he's anti straight men as well, so that means he hates everyone.

Posted by: RJ | Oct 31, 2012 10:13:30 PM

10. When neo-grunge hooks up with hipster. Nice flannel shirt,Ben.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 1, 2012 7:58:12 AM

11. When neo-grunge hooks up with hipster. Nice flannel shirt,Ben.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 1, 2012 7:58:12 AM

12. Rainbows!

Posted by: Deenah | Nov 1, 2012 3:41:33 PM

13. Maybe they are only dirt regarding gummed report kept because of the company every time they rip along the retail cost tag.

Posted by: imitation chanel | Nov 4, 2012 4:58:09 AM