DOMA | John Boehner | Massachusetts | News | Republican Party | Richard Tisei

BigGayDeal.com

DOMA Defender John Boehner Campaigns for Gay Republican House Candidate Richard Tisei in Massachusetts

John_boehner

For House Speaker and DOMA-defender John Boehner, ousting a House Democrat in favor of a Republican trumps differences of opinion on gay rights.

TiseiThe HuffPost reports:

Boehner spent Tuesday morning raising money for Republican candidate Richard Tisei, who is openly gay and supports same-sex marriage.

Tisei, who is running against Rep. John Tierney (D-Mass.), seemed to indirectly address the fact that Boehner opposes gay rights in a statement ahead of their joint breakfast event in Boston.

"The Speaker understands that he and I do not agree on absolutely everything, and that I will often be a voice of independent leadership -- particularly if it is not in the interests of the Sixth District," Tisei said. "I look forward to working with the Speaker as a voice of reason and moderation in Congress to help solve our nation's problems."

Comments

1. Wait. A Republican sells his soul for power and money? You're shi##ing me.

Posted by: David R. | Oct 9, 2012 2:16:50 PM

2. So what? I wouldn't vote for a gay GOPer no matter who's campaigning for them - period!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 9, 2012 2:22:22 PM

3. Tisei is doing very well here in MA, and being projected to win. His last political race was as the Republican Lt. Gov. candidate, losing out to Democratcic Gov. Deval Patrick's [the only black governor in America] ticket.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 9, 2012 2:23:43 PM

4. How awkward must that be to share a stage with someone who thinks you shouldn't be allowed to get married, adopt kids, serve in the military or be protected in the workplace. Anything for power and money I guess...

Posted by: KP | Oct 9, 2012 2:24:18 PM

5. Interesting, But if elected Tisei will vote for Boehner as leader and guarentee that DOMA will continue to be defended and that no other LGBT legislation will reach the floor of the House. How does he look himself in the mirror and justify doing that?

Posted by: Peter Rosenstein | Oct 9, 2012 2:30:20 PM

6. What?! So what's the real back story on this? It all stinks - and always does - of strategic numbers games, which doesn't surprise me at all, but Boehnhead and the Rethuglicans are really playing this one up. First with mittens and the great lie machine and now on to supporting anyone, just as long as he or she is wearing that stupid elephant @sshat. I'd like to know just how effective Tisei was in his previous position, Wikipedia kudos notwithstanding.

Posted by: ESA | Oct 9, 2012 2:35:12 PM

7. boehner wouldnt understand
    "reason and moderation" if it hit him in the face...

ah, the company you keep....

Posted by: andrew | Oct 9, 2012 2:36:41 PM

8. Great to see the Republican leadership endorsing an openly gay candidate without flinching and great to see an openly gay candidate demonstrating to Republicans that they have nothing to fear from gay people but everything to gain from embracing us.

Progress, to be sure.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 9, 2012 2:42:12 PM

9. I'm a registered Independent and happen to be in Tisei's district and have voted for his opponent (Tierney) every election year. This year, I can no longer do that. Tierney is a corrupt politician who is lying on a daily basis, even the Globe is tearing him apart. Tisei fought for marriage equality on Beacon Hill and helped defeat a proposed measure to ask the voters to repeal gay marriage. I vote the person, not the party, and intend to do vote for Tisei (and Warren/Obama) this time around.

Posted by: bay_stater | Oct 9, 2012 2:46:43 PM

10. Of course, he's only been endorsed because he's not standing up against the bigotry of the GOP, but as a closeted adult I admire that because I don't stand up to bigotry either.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 9, 2012 2:50:13 PM

11. John Boehner terrifies me. He has a look of evil & anger about him. He gives me goosebumps every time I see his horrible face.

If there really was a God this "man" would lose his seat at the election....

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 9, 2012 3:03:12 PM

12. I live in Kennedy's potential district [should be another close race] but yeah. Tierney should have resigned in shame.

For those wondering how a GOP could be winning, well, Tierney's brother-in-law ran an offshore gambling boat that his wife received some benefits from. Course MA has a history of electing truly corrupt politicians.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 9, 2012 3:04:26 PM

13. Here's hoping every gay voter within Tisei's district either abstains or votes for his opponent, good or bad. There is no justification for being gay and a Republican. Not a one.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 9, 2012 3:17:00 PM

14. Note that at this time Tisei is not protected by a Federal law protecting him from harm as a gay man but if/when Tisei gets elected to the House of Reps. his is automatically protected as a official of the Fed Govt. Talk about "special rights".
    Thank Obama & his DCCC for continuing to support Tierney when they could have dumped him. The Dem Party machine supports crap candidates, ie Martha Cloakley and the citizenry pays the price.

Posted by: mikeflower | Oct 9, 2012 3:17:48 PM

15. Thus proving my point that there is no such thing as a "good Republican." The way our system of politics works, it's a winner-take-all method. By voting for Tisei, you are voting for Boehner. When it comes time to vote for Speaker of the House, will Tisei vote against Boehner? How will Tisei stop Boehner from advancing the agenda of stopping all things Obama while ignoring everything else?

And to BAY_STATER, you don't have to vote for the Democrat in order to not be a Republican. By all means, vote the man rather than the party, but don't think that your vote for Tisei stops at just him.

Posted by: Rrhain | Oct 9, 2012 3:26:00 PM

16. @RRHAIN: Literally every non-partisan org out there is saying that the GOP will retain the House. Having one more vote for Boehner won't affect whether or not he takes the majority.

I'd rather not have a corrupt/lying Congressman represent me down in DC. I find it shocking that people (mostly outside of the district) would say they'd vote for a corrupt guy, just because he'll vote for Pelosi as Speaker. Vote the person, not the party...so I'm going Obama/Warren/Tisei.

Posted by: bay_stater | Oct 9, 2012 3:34:08 PM

17. @RRHAIN: Literally every non-partisan org out there is saying that the GOP will retain the House. Having one more vote for Boehner won't affect whether or not he takes the majority.

Posted by: bay_stater | Oct 9, 2012 3:34:10 PM

18. There's that "gay Republican" phrase! Can we agreee never to use it again? It gives me the creeps.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 9, 2012 3:34:45 PM

19. Strange bedfellows...

Posted by: Graphicjack | Oct 9, 2012 3:37:39 PM

20. @BAY_STATER: You need to keep reading: Where did I say who I would vote for? You don't have to vote for the Democrat in order to not vote for the Republican. The only reason the Republicans might keep the House is if people keep voting for Republicans.

Every Republican you vote for at the lower level only feeds into the power structure at the top. That's simply how it works. If you vote for a Republican, you vote for Boehner.

Let's repeat it a third time in case you missed it: You don't have to vote for the Democrat in order to not vote for the Republican.

Posted by: Rrhain | Oct 9, 2012 5:52:28 PM

21. "Here's hoping every gay voter within "Tisei's district either abstains or votes for his opponent, good or bad. There is no justification for being gay and a Republican. Not a one."

I am sure that the vast majority of gay men in his district will vote for him, as they should. Fortunately, most gay people are not the unreasonable extremists that most Far Left activists are.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 9, 2012 7:47:25 PM

22. I can't see why anyone takes that crying Oompa-Loompa seriously.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 9, 2012 8:08:03 PM

23. Truth be told: Both parties will support almost anyone in order to get a majority of seats in the House and Senate. For those not old enough to remember: prior to the 1960's and 70' the National Democratic Party supported racist and segregationists southern members of congress in order to keep control of Congress.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 9, 2012 11:22:14 PM

24. What do Republicans that are,gay,Jewish,or black have in common? They are rich! I have never met a poor Republican... and I'm 75 years old!

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Oct 10, 2012 8:57:48 AM

25. I can here the LogCabinettes sighing right now as their sugar-daddy Boehner gets out the vote for their man Tisei. The GoProudGirls are on a white-party cruise right now but will celebrate with a self-pleasuring circle when they get into port this Sunday.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 10, 2012 12:34:55 PM