Baseball | Basketball | Chris Kluwe | News | Sports

ESPN Poll Finds Baseball Players Oppose Marriage Equality, Abortion

SportsMarriage

With athletes like The Minnesota Vikings' Chris Kluwe, The Phoenix Suns' Steve Nash and even entire teams like the San Francisco 49ers coming out for LGBT equality, ESPN magazine decided to include a gay marriage question in a recent poll of professionals from all four major U.S. sports, baseball, basketball, football and hockey.

The findings show that a majority, 59.3%, of the 62 anonymous players asked support same-sex marriage, most of whom are in the National Hockey League. A majority of baseball and basketball players, however, voted no.

On a related "culture wars" note, baseball players are the only group in which a majority said they are pro-life.

SportsAbortion

Comments

1. No surprise. Most MLB players are someone's "baby daddy"

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Oct 13, 2012 2:29:13 PM

2. 62 divided by 4 equals 15.5. Still an awfully small sample but we may as well argue with correct numbers. This is a prime example of how statistics can be used to convey "facts" or conclusions that may well be erroneous.

Posted by: KC | Oct 13, 2012 2:55:21 PM

3. The racism and generalizations going on in this article are anything but surprising.

Gotta love white gays and their double-standards.

Posted by: Lance | Oct 13, 2012 3:16:47 PM

4. Baseball and NBA players often come from poor backgrounds. Baseball and NBA players often have little education and don't complete or even go to college. NFL players are definitely more educated on the whole and tend to come from better backgrounds. MLB fans as well, tend to be less sophisticated. Baseball has a "boys club" mentality, that is the culture, and thus it tends to attract conservatives.

As for NHL players, the Canadian factor is in play, most US players are from the North/East coast, which are more enlightened areas. And hockey players tend to come from better backgrounds, including the Eastern Euros. The Russians, Czechs, they've been residing/playing in the States/Canada for a long time in most cases. Many probably become enlightened by education and awareness. And Patrick Burke's efforts as well cannot be ignored and the many NHL players who actively support the You Can Play Project. Chris Kluwe, Brendon Ayanbadejo, and other NFL stars cannot be ignored. There is Brandon McCarthy for baseball but that's it. Grant Hill and Steve Nash for the NBA, but they are the only players in that sport who has been outspoken in their belief of equality. So it's clear some leagues have a de-facto DADT policy going on. Whether you believe the poll is valid or not, the results are very unsurprising.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 13, 2012 3:39:53 PM

5. Isn't it somenthing good?; I mean baseball players are not einstein's material, I would worry if an elite of scientists oposse to it, but this people, what kind of authority or degree of knowledge have to say anythig? I like them being ignorant

Posted by: MArk | Oct 13, 2012 4:18:55 PM

6. Yeah, these guys all should be the biggest flag waving supporters of abortion considering how many of them are going to be bankrupted by payings 100's of thousands of dollars in child support for all their funbabies.

Posted by: aneas taint | Oct 13, 2012 4:27:16 PM

7. There are more black men in basketball. That's the reason basketball is more homophobic and more anti-women's choice.

Religion is still dominate in the black community and black religions are the ones who are the most anti-gay and anti-women.

Until that changes the black community in the US will remain backward on both issues.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 13, 2012 4:30:21 PM

8. It's interesting to not that the two more violent sports are more forward thinking. I would have thought basketball would have had them all beat. And Hockey! Wow!

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Oct 13, 2012 4:32:01 PM

9. KC,

I think I started using 12 as the number. I just took a quick glance at the chart, which has five lines, and divided 62 by five. But you're right, the fifth line is for total, so it should be 15. my main point still holds, of course, which is the poll is meaningless.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 13, 2012 5:05:09 PM

10. Real poll results: ESPN shouldn't be allowed to conduct polls.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 13, 2012 8:29:55 PM

11. Baseball has a lot of Latino players which means they are probably Catholic

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 13, 2012 9:13:31 PM

12. Oh Towleroad why post this. You know the number of people polled isn't large enough

Posted by: Billy | Oct 13, 2012 11:09:46 PM

13. SO IT LOOKS LIKE BASEBALL IS ONE OF THE LAST BASTIONS OF BUTCHNESS IN OUR GREAT NATION. I SORTA GET ALL KIND OF SHUDDERY AND VERKLEMNT WHEN I THINK OF THOSE BIG BUTCH FOOTBALL PLAYERS WAVING THE BANNER FOR GAY MARRIAGE. ARE THEY PLANNING A GAY WEDDING? PERHAPS THERE IS SOME BLUSHING YOUNG GAY BRIDE WAITING IN THE WINGS. AH THOSE FOOTBALL JOCKS IN THEIR TIGHT JERSEYS, BENDING OVER IN THE HUDDLES SO YOU CAN SEE THEIR HAIRY CRACKS AND SOMETIMES GET A NICE GLIMPSE OF BUTTHOLE TOO. YES, WE CAN BE ASS FREAKS BUT WHERE ON EARTH DID SOME HETTIES GET THE IDEA THAT WE EAT FECES? VERY STRANGE. FOR RIMMING AND EATING ASS IS NOTHING LIKE THAT. YES I'M AN ASS MAN AND PROUD OF IT. ANYWAY, I DIGRESS. AND I'VE LOST THE TRAIN OF MY THOUGHT. NEED SOME MORE COFFEE I THINK. CONSUELO! MORE COFFEE PLEASE. HAVE A LOVELY SUNDAY MY DEARS. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Oct 14, 2012 8:22:53 AM

14. I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective.

Around half of the sample (adequate or not, but probably made up of those on both sides who felt strongly enough to respond to the survey) are in favor of marriage equality. And right to abortion.

Fifty years ago, a sports network could never have even held the survey. It was off the social screen entirely.

I'm 64, and very comfortable in my sexuality. I watched the World Series forty years ago, during the dark times. I'll watch the World Series now because I like baseball.

If I boycotted every event, activity or place where I might encounter a homophobe, I'd have to stay hidden in my apartment. Who knows what monsters might live just down the hall, let alone outside in the big bad world?

Posted by: Lloyd Meeker | Oct 14, 2012 2:54:59 PM

15. More than the other sports, baseball draws its players from small town America, and is still dominated by small town "Americana" values.

Posted by: Guy | Oct 14, 2012 4:25:53 PM

16. Small samples work, they give a distribution just like large ones. I'm shocked at the amount of gays who don't know the significance of the distribion of the t curve. Not really, lots of people are ignorant these days. Simple statistics aside, I'm going to wash my hair now.

Posted by: PostPonyPhase | Oct 14, 2012 5:04:21 PM

17. For your troubles, lovelies.

Posted by: PostPonyPhase | Oct 14, 2012 5:12:13 PM

18. Proud to be Canadian! The NHL players have now lived in a country where same-sex marriage has been legal for almost 8 years! Shows what happens when a controversial issue becomes the law of the land!
    When my partner of 33 years and I were married in Toronto in 2007, almost all my sister-in-law's neighbour's showed up for the after=party, -almost all were European Catholics--they couldn't have cared less that 2 men were celebrating their marriage.

Posted by: Colin | Oct 14, 2012 6:16:45 PM

19. LOL....

Oh yeah, those so enlightened and superior Canadian hockey players. Do Canadians ever get tired of their BS superiority complex? I understand you want to differentiate yourself from your big neighbor to the south, and need something to stir up nationalism, but spare me the endless BS. The average Canadian is no more morally, ethically superior or tolerant the average American or the average Brazilian or Mexican.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 15, 2012 8:17:36 AM

20. And this poll is lame and poorly done.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 15, 2012 8:20:12 AM

21. And this poll is lame and poorly done.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 15, 2012 8:20:13 AM

22. And this poll is lame and poorly done.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 15, 2012 8:20:19 AM

23. What on earth has abortion got to do with homosexuality? Moreover, the extremely low number of respondents makes a mockery of the notion that this is a poll. Towleroad's standards appear to be dropping.

Posted by: jason | Oct 15, 2012 8:48:02 AM