Chris Kluwe | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News | Sports

Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe Records Lustful C*ckmonster Ad for Minnesotans for Equality: AUDIO

Chr_kluwe

Riffing off the letter to Minnesota lawmaker Emmett C. Burns that vaulted him into the marriage equality spotlight, Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has recorded a radio ad for Minnesotans for Equality in which he argues against the proposed ballot measure that would constitutionally ban same-sex marriage. The ad takes the form of a conversation between Kluwe and "the government" and references his famous "lustful c*ckmonster" phrase.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. How is using the vulgar phrase "c-monster" gonna help win mainstream, moderate, and undecided Minnesota voters? The campaign should focus on winning the large middle of voters who are conflicted about the issue, but are fearful of the changes in society that marriage equality would herald to them. Using vulgarity or sexually explicit language is not the way to persuade, even if you think it is lampooning the other side. Kluwe might think the phrase is funny, but a lot of people would find it offensive and repulsive to use it in public discourse.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 24, 2012 7:19:03 PM

2. How is using the vulgar phrase "c-monster" gonna help win mainstream, moderate, and undecided Minnesota voters? The campaign should focus on winning the large middle of voters who are conflicted about the issue, but are fearful of the changes in society that marriage equality would herald to them. Using vulgarity or sexually explicit language is not the way to persuade, even if you think it is lampooning the other side. Kluwe might think the phrase is funny, but a lot of people would find it offensive and repulsive to use it in public discourse.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 24, 2012 7:19:04 PM

3. Very well done. Where can I get my "Lustful Cockmonster" t-shirt?

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Oct 24, 2012 7:26:44 PM

4. Javier, if you clutch your pearls so tight you pass out, I'm not going to hold your feet up until you come to!

It's made for a youthful audience and it's funny and effective.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 24, 2012 7:32:55 PM

5. Lustfull Cockmonster T-shirts here

Posted by: KevInPDX | Oct 24, 2012 7:51:08 PM

6. While my namesake and fellow FOD, Javier, fears MN voters may find Kluwe's ad "offensive and repulsive", I absolutely love it!

I believe the ad is witty, original and effective. Oftentimes, a bit of humor and even a naughty word or two, can do wonders convincing people to do the right thing.

Posted by: Xavi | Oct 24, 2012 7:56:09 PM

7. The phrase "lustful c*ckmonster" is no more offensive and repulsive than people actually voting to deny civil rights to their fellow Americans.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 24, 2012 8:02:45 PM

8. WOW!!!

Posted by: JeffNYC | Oct 24, 2012 8:29:38 PM

9. Uproarious radio spot.

Thanks, TR, for finding a much better picture of Kluwe.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 24, 2012 8:30:48 PM

10. These are the exact kind of ads we need. The 'feel good' ads aimed at the undecided HAVE NOT worked 30 straight times! I wish people would understand that and produce more of these ads so we can actually win once. The few undecided need to be told in this kind of language what is going on and THAT will sway them to vote the right way.

Posted by: Don | Oct 24, 2012 8:42:02 PM

11. Emmett Johnson is a lawmaker from Maryland, not Minnesota.

Kluwe was responding to Johnson's rebuke of Baltimore Ravens' Ayanbadejo's support of marriage equality in Maryland.

Posted by: t | Oct 24, 2012 8:55:49 PM

12. Outsports has a nice explanation from Minnesotans for Equality about the ad's intended demographic - which hasn't been reached yet.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 24, 2012 9:05:34 PM

13. I think it's terrific and Kluwe is a hero in my book.

Posted by: Evan_LA | Oct 24, 2012 9:47:44 PM

14. I wish that I'd had heroes like Chris Kluwe and Ben Cohen when I was young and struggling with being gay. And I'm so very happy that this generation does have them!

Posted by: Dave | Oct 24, 2012 9:51:21 PM

15. Yes, if you had taken the time (javier) to read who the "target" audience is for the ad you might understand. The ad is going to be pretty effective among a group that has been left out. Kluwe has been the game changer in this entire thing. An ad with an old white guy sitting there talking to the screen is not going to be effective at all - not when there are a million other political ads on the air. The radio ad w/humor will and already is playing well!

Posted by: Brad | Oct 24, 2012 10:26:17 PM

16. Go Here to donate and keep the ad on the air:

Posted by: Brad | Oct 24, 2012 11:23:58 PM

17. Are we so timid that we can't say "cockmonster?" WTF?

Posted by: Mark | Oct 25, 2012 2:14:58 AM

18. Why, I have been called the very same thing, in my finer moments, I might add! :) Yes, I am an OUT and PROUD lustful, cockmonster. :)

Posted by: millerbeach | Oct 25, 2012 4:55:23 AM

19. Emmett C. Burns is a Maryland (not Minnesota) state lawmaker. I like the ad.

Posted by: Noah | Oct 25, 2012 7:06:02 AM

20. I for the life of me can not understand why we in the GLBT community have to be cynical of a straight ally using the phrase C@@K monster when allot of gay folks cant get off their F'ing bar stool and get out there and fight. Its more important to look pretty for the club and have the rich car then to fight for equality. The ilk of NOM are winning this fight because were taking there C@@k monster and not saying a word.

Posted by: Xzavier | Oct 25, 2012 7:46:05 AM

21. Mark, I was going to comment on the same thing. I don't think anyone who reads this site is going to be offended by the term, so what's with the needless censorship?

Posted by: Butch | Oct 25, 2012 9:02:30 AM

22. America needs more heterosexual men like Chris Kluwe!
    He's awesome!

Posted by: Kucklehead | Oct 25, 2012 10:56:40 AM

23. Kluwe is a good guy and it's a good ad. Chris and his wife sound like great parents.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 25, 2012 12:21:02 PM

24. I love this guy!

Posted by: JP Colter | Oct 25, 2012 1:15:54 PM

25. A heterosexual can say whatever he or she wants yet don't show a gay couple in any gay marriage ad because that will turn heterosexuals off. Gay people don't appreciate other gay people that's why gay people don't want to stick their necks out for other gay people because it would be in vain. Threads about heterosexuals saying whatever good or bad about gay people get more comments than threads about gay people actually progessing gay people's environment.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Oct 25, 2012 2:35:58 PM