Comments

1. Javier says

How is using the vulgar phrase “c-monster” gonna help win mainstream, moderate, and undecided Minnesota voters? The campaign should focus on winning the large middle of voters who are conflicted about the issue, but are fearful of the changes in society that marriage equality would herald to them. Using vulgarity or sexually explicit language is not the way to persuade, even if you think it is lampooning the other side. Kluwe might think the phrase is funny, but a lot of people would find it offensive and repulsive to use it in public discourse.

2. Javier says

3. Caliban says

Javier, if you clutch your pearls so tight you pass out, I’m not going to hold your feet up until you come to!

It’s made for a youthful audience and it’s funny and effective.

4. Xavi says

While my namesake and fellow FOD, Javier, fears MN voters may find Kluwe’s ad “offensive and repulsive”, I absolutely love it!

I believe the ad is witty, original and effective. Oftentimes, a bit of humor and even a naughty word or two, can do wonders convincing people to do the right thing.

5. Don says

These are the exact kind of ads we need. The ‘feel good’ ads aimed at the undecided HAVE NOT worked 30 straight times! I wish people would understand that and produce more of these ads so we can actually win once. The few undecided need to be told in this kind of language what is going on and THAT will sway them to vote the right way.

6. t says

Emmett Johnson is a lawmaker from Maryland, not Minnesota.

Kluwe was responding to Johnson’s rebuke of Baltimore Ravens’ Ayanbadejo’s support of marriage equality in Maryland.

7. Dave says

I wish that I’d had heroes like Chris Kluwe and Ben Cohen when I was young and struggling with being gay. And I’m so very happy that this generation does have them!

8. Brad says

Yes, if you had taken the time (javier) to read who the “target” audience is for the ad you might understand. The ad is going to be pretty effective among a group that has been left out. Kluwe has been the game changer in this entire thing. An ad with an old white guy sitting there talking to the screen is not going to be effective at all – not when there are a million other political ads on the air. The radio ad w/humor will and already is playing well!

9. Xzavier says

I for the life of me can not understand why we in the GLBT community have to be cynical of a straight ally using the phrase C@@K monster when allot of gay folks cant get off their F’ing bar stool and get out there and fight. Its more important to look pretty for the club and have the rich car then to fight for equality. The ilk of NOM are winning this fight because were taking there C@@k monster and not saying a word.

10. Butch says

Mark, I was going to comment on the same thing. I don’t think anyone who reads this site is going to be offended by the term, so what’s with the needless censorship?

11. Billy Crytical says

A heterosexual can say whatever he or she wants yet don’t show a gay couple in any gay marriage ad because that will turn heterosexuals off. Gay people don’t appreciate other gay people that’s why gay people don’t want to stick their necks out for other gay people because it would be in vain. Threads about heterosexuals saying whatever good or bad about gay people get more comments than threads about gay people actually progessing gay people’s environment.

12. Brian says

Marriage is defined as one man and one woman. if you yall want to legalize your union…go for it. But the term marriage is defined as one man and woman. why would anyone want to bully us from that. Do it and call it what you will to make it happen. I think this all is a way to bully the definition of marriage to include this union. Shame on you all!!

This could have been done simlply and easy by not calling or trying to change the defition of marriage…stop already!