Crime | Kentucky | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Man Sues Kentucky Jail After Inmate Bites Off Part of Nose

Brandon Milam, a gay man incarcerated in Kentucky for violating his probation for a guilty plea to felony theft, is filing a lawsuit against the Warren County Regional Jail after he was placed into a cell with 14 other men where he was subject to a week of homophobic harassment before he was pinned down by fellow inmate Timothy Schwartz who bit part of his nose off.

A photo of Milam's injuries (warning: graphic), AFTER THE JUMP...

JailGayNZ.com reports:

Brandon Milam claims he was disfigured, lost his sense of smell and remains in pain from the July attack in the Warren County Regional Jail.

“Other inmates made it well known that they did not approve that I was gay,” he says in a statement.
“I remember hearing my nose getting ripped off my face and seeing him spit it on the floor. They all four started in yelling ‘kill the faggot’ and ‘beat that lil’ ho fag’.”

He is seeking unspecified damages. He has sued the jail, its top official, the county and the accused attacker, Timothy Schwartz.

The AP adds:

Milam was attacked while sitting on his bed, the suit said. Schwartz pinned Milam against the wall and punched him in the face, then bit off part of Milam's nose, according to the lawsuit. Bartley Hagerman, another attorney for Milam, said jail guards were slow to respond.

"You would think with all of the commotion they would have gotten there quicker," Hagerman said.

Milam has since been placed on house arrest, Mehr said. Kentucky Equality Federation, a gay rights and civil rights group that has offered assistance to Milam, has urged federal authorities to pursue a case against Schwartz as a hate crime.

A photo of Milam's injuries (warning: graphic), AFTER THE JUMP...

Milam

Comments

1. Yeah part of an ear is one thing, but a nose?! He's gonna need that. It's gone now.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Oct 17, 2012 10:02:27 AM

2. Horrible. The bastards put him in a holding with 14 men to be tortured. If he was openly Gay (or thought to be so) he should have been segregated from the violent offenders.

He's disfigured for life because of the cruelty of some sadistic county jail guards. My God, I wish him the best in his law suit.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 17, 2012 10:18:30 AM

3. I hope he wins. Millions. I hope he ends up owning Warren County before he's done. As for the Schwartz creep, I hope he never gets out of jail.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 17, 2012 12:32:36 PM

4. Um, don't steal?

Posted by: nicknick | Oct 17, 2012 2:59:32 PM

5. As horrific as much of society is towards LGBT people, jail/prison is ABSOLUTE hell. The prison guards obviously sought to do harm to Brandon by putting him in a cell with 14 other men. Brandon will almost definitely win this case. Hopefully we see stiff punishment levied against everyone being sued.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 17, 2012 3:43:41 PM

6. bath salts. just sayin'

Posted by: johnny | Oct 17, 2012 6:45:23 PM

7. Um, Nick, were you in the courtroom when the plea agreement was reached? I understand he committed a felony in the eyes of the court, but I do not know what led up to that plea agreement, and unless you were in that courtroom, neither do you. Can you agree that this man has suffered unjustly? Most felons, gay or not, should be able to retain their body parts during incarceration. This strikes me as cruel and unusual punishment by the jail guards. I hope he sues that county blind, then spits on their grave. He is now disfigured for life...don't you agree he has paid the price for his crime? Oh right, his only crime is that he is gay. Chew on that for a while, Nick. (no pun intended)

Posted by: millerbeach | Oct 18, 2012 3:11:43 AM