Ellen DeGeneres | Macklemore | Music | News | Ryan Lewis

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Sing Their Marriage Equality Anthem 'Same Love' on Ellen: VIDEO

Ellen

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis performed an amazing, showstopping rendition of their marriage equality anthem "Same Love" on Ellen. Ellen called them "my new heroes."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

And if you've somehow missed their unbelievable music video, watch it HERE.

Comments

1. This is a nice song but it won't get played on American radio. American DJ's (both men and women) are extremely homophobic when it comes to male homosexuality. They are far more liberal when it comes to lesbianism.

In fact, I'd say that American radio is probably the most male-homophobic form of media in America. There have been rumors that Clear Channel - which owns many radio stations - discourages the playing of songs that might be construed as "encouraging homosexuality between men".

Posted by: jason | Oct 31, 2012 8:49:26 AM

2. Fuckoff, Jason! No one here cares what you think.

Posted by: endo | Oct 31, 2012 9:08:01 AM

3. What a heck of a song, lyrics, tune, video, manner of presention. Hip hop is usually "meh" to me but this can reach most anyone and feels not so race based, ignorant, or down-low pandering. It's almost classy, stands up level to the crowd, and the melody, tune has pain.

Posted by: uffda | Oct 31, 2012 9:14:17 AM

4. Beautiful! It makes me warm and a little weepy.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 31, 2012 9:14:34 AM

5. How far we've come in my 59 years. I never thought I'd see anything like this in my lifetime; this and every other step of progress that we're seeing lately.

@Michael, it doesn't make me a little weepy; it brings absolute tears of joy and not a few sobs.

Posted by: fritzrth | Oct 31, 2012 9:36:00 AM

6. When I first heard it, when it was posted by Andy, it made me cry. It is still so beautiful....and that was a powerful performance.
    The song really speaks the words we have all felt through our lives, the treatment as second class citizens, not being as good as others and so on.
    So it's just wonderful to see us all up off our knees, unapologetic, political, activist, demanding equality......and not allowing ourselves even to be regarded as in any way less than equal citizens. That has taken a long time....and we are not at the finish line, but I think we have made incredible progress......and it's in no small way due to heroic activists like ACT UP.
    But where ever the song is played it remains our song....and to quote Siegfried Sassoon;
    "The song was wordless, the singing will never be done."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 31, 2012 9:36:52 AM

7. It's great... one more brick in the wall going up against discrimination & in favor of Marriage Equality.

It may not get radio-play, but that's not entirely the way music gets around these days anyway.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Oct 31, 2012 9:44:37 AM

8. Thank you, Ellen, for showcasing this.

Posted by: K in VA | Oct 31, 2012 10:10:07 AM

9. It's a beautiful song.

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to this song and sung along with the Mary Lambert bits despite having a woodchuck-in-a-blender singing voice. My singing voice is truly heinous but I sing along anyway. In my car, at least.

After this I looked up more songs by Macklemore and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked them. Smart, liberal, and funny. What's to lose?

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 31, 2012 10:36:26 AM

10. Ellen reminds me of Ken Mehlman, the Republican activist who originally engineered bringing gay marriage to the polls as a "wedge" issue and then came out and is now a friend of the gays.

Ellen didn't give any money (you can look it up it's a matter of public record) to defeat Prop 8. Then she got married herself and now she's a big marriage equality booster.

Boo for Halloween!

Posted by: Not Impressed | Oct 31, 2012 10:38:29 AM

11. @Not Impressed

WTF? Here's another fact about Ellen. She's done more for gay rights than you'll ever do even if you live to 100.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 31, 2012 10:48:14 AM

12. endo, I care about what Jason has to say.

Posted by: kevin | Oct 31, 2012 10:50:12 AM

13. Please, Not Impressed, regale us with your tale of how you came out as gay and changed hearts and minds.

I'm sure it's a fascinating tale.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 31, 2012 10:55:27 AM

14. Not Impressed = Jason (You can tell by the diction and tone)

Ellen spent $100,000 to broadcast ads opposing Prop 8. It was widely reported, including here on Towleroad. Put that up your public record, Jason.

Posted by: endo | Oct 31, 2012 10:59:20 AM

15. Jason, honey, I really try to give you the benefit of the doubt among the many who post here regularly (as I hope that others may do for me).

But, really, Jason, this is one of those days when I can't.

Jason, please, sit down and shut up.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 31, 2012 11:16:12 AM

16. Not impressed does not equal Jason -- I don't know Jason, but you comment Nazis should stop trying to silence him - I'm sure towleroad welcomes diverse opinions provided the commentator follows the rules.

The claim that Ellen supported ads is untrue and lame. Ellen went cheap on support of Prop 8 and she could have made a difference.

She's no saint - ask her "ensemble" cast from her first sitcoms.

As for what she does for gay rights, Ken Mehlman's on the out 100 list now too.

Posted by: Not Impressed | Oct 31, 2012 11:27:03 AM

17. That's exactly what Jason would say.

Posted by: endo | Oct 31, 2012 11:35:14 AM

18. Facts are facts - personal attacks do not negate them.

Posted by: Not Impressed | Oct 31, 2012 11:41:11 AM

19. LOL, that's nearly word-for-word what Jason posted in another thread today. It's like you're not even trying to conceal the fact that you're a troll using multiple usernames.

And you've provided no "facts" to prove that Ellen didn't spend $100,000 on ads.

Posted by: endo | Oct 31, 2012 11:48:27 AM

20. @Endo

You're the one who claims she did spend the money on the ads - which she didn't -- the burden is on you

Calling someone a "troll" whoever this Jason is doesn't make him wrong - it just means you're a comment bully.

Me, personally, I oppose the beatification of Ellen.

Posted by: Not Impressed | Oct 31, 2012 12:01:13 PM

21. Plus $100K even if it were true is chump change when it comes to California proposition.

At the time, I think many people couldn't believe Prop 8 would pass. I think Ellen sat out that campaign, and she shouldn't have.

Posted by: Not Impressed | Oct 31, 2012 12:04:38 PM

22. @Jason: Ellen brought gay marriage to the polls as a wedge issue? Who knew! And, the public record is clear that she gave $100,000 against Prop 8--not that that has anything to do with the post or the song. Your slip is showing, dear.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 31, 2012 12:07:59 PM

23. Please, Jason. The onus is on you to support a wildly different claim than what was reporting in the media including this very site.

Posted by: endo | Oct 31, 2012 12:17:32 PM

24. So what! This is just Ellen's PR people getting busy -- btw, they are also active in the comment sections of posts about her.

Ellen's annual salary is estimated to be

$45,000,000.

That's right - 45 million per year.

When it comes to California propositions and the costs of the campaigns, my Uncle Maury did more on a relative basis.

Posted by: Not Impressed | Oct 31, 2012 12:33:51 PM

25. So what? So you admit you lied.

Nothing else you say can be taken seriously.

Posted by: endo | Oct 31, 2012 12:39:20 PM