Gay Marriage | Maryland | News

Southern Baptist Pastors Speak Out for Marriage Equality in New Ads Supporting Question 6: VIDEO

Hickaman

In new ads from Marylanders for Marriage Equality, two African-American pastors speak out in support of the Question 6 ballot measure, which would put Maryland's legislatively-passed marriage equality law into effect.

Watch the ads, AFTER THE JUMP...

Recent polling has shown that 49 percent of voters support the marriage equality measure.

The Baltimore Sun reports: "The ads are designed to counter an organized push by black churches to preach opposition to same-sex marriage from the pulpit this month. Both sides are wooing black voters this year; they made up about 25 percent of the electorate in 2008, and are expected to come out in similar numbers for this year's election."

Says Hickman: "As a pastor, my support for Question 6 is rooted in my belief that the government should treat everyone equally."

Says Coates: "This law does not force any church to perform a same-sex marriage if it's against their beliefs. Protecting religious freedom and protecting all Marylanders equally under the law. That's what this is about."

This week, the NAACP's Julian Bond recorded a radio ad supporting the measure. The anti-gay Maryland Marriage Alliance is also running ads against it.

Watch the ads, AFTER THE JUMP...

Coates

Comments

1. Are these pastors "Southern Baptist" in the sense of the Southern Baptist Convention? The "Southern Baptist Church" here looks like it might be a black Baptist congregation, which can be to some extent dogmatically different. As nicely surprising as it is to have these pastors' support, I would be very surprised if they were part of the SBC and saying this.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 10, 2012 1:46:17 PM

2. Brian is right. It's an easy mistake to make, but "Southern Baptists" isn't the same as "Baptists in the South". "American Baptists" are the slightly more liberal version of the Baptist faith...probably where these men are in the Baptist Spectrum. "Southern Baptists" as a whole are generally against gay marriage as a belief, although there are exceptions in every congregation.

Posted by: Terry | Oct 10, 2012 2:20:05 PM

3. I know I will get slammed for this but where is the clip on the bible justifying slavery or the one on the Story of Hamm which clearly explains whites are the superior race? I am sure they, as bible thumpers, would feel obligated to partake in explaining those aspects.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 10, 2012 2:32:40 PM

4. I know I will get slammed for this but where is the clip on the bible justifying slavery or the one on the Story of Hamm which clearly explains whites are the superior race? I am sure they, as bible thumpers, would feel obligated to partake in explaining those aspects.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 10, 2012 2:32:40 PM

5. @Michael: Well, the promotion of anti-black doctrine was the whole point of the establishment of the Southern Baptist church to begin with, and Southern Baptists were the backbone of the Klan. I've always found it ironic that anyone gay, black or female chooses a church whose history is so ugly with anti-black, anti-female and anti-gay suppression.

Posted by: GregV | Oct 10, 2012 3:36:28 PM

6. Gee I thougt if churches urged their comgregants to vote a certain way hey would lose their tax exempt status. I mean this does work on both sides but....... I am getting tired of all the ignorantce I am reading out one the web. Has anyone here seen the rant and rave section for Baltimores Craigslist page? Marriage should be between two adult who love each other period, gender should have no bearing to make it legal or illegal!

Posted by: Walter Fletcher | Oct 10, 2012 8:50:05 PM

7. @Walter Fletcher. A religious organization can take a position on an issue, but cannot endorse or support a candidate. So a church or pastor can say "We support marriage equality and you should too." They cannot say "We support marriage equality, you should too, and you should vote for Candidate X because she supports it as well."

Posted by: james | Oct 10, 2012 9:01:53 PM