Comments

1. Brian says

Are these pastors “Southern Baptist” in the sense of the Southern Baptist Convention? The “Southern Baptist Church” here looks like it might be a black Baptist congregation, which can be to some extent dogmatically different. As nicely surprising as it is to have these pastors’ support, I would be very surprised if they were part of the SBC and saying this.

2. Terry says

Brian is right. It’s an easy mistake to make, but “Southern Baptists” isn’t the same as “Baptists in the South”. “American Baptists” are the slightly more liberal version of the Baptist faith…probably where these men are in the Baptist Spectrum. “Southern Baptists” as a whole are generally against gay marriage as a belief, although there are exceptions in every congregation.

3. Michael says

I know I will get slammed for this but where is the clip on the bible justifying slavery or the one on the Story of Hamm which clearly explains whites are the superior race? I am sure they, as bible thumpers, would feel obligated to partake in explaining those aspects.

4. Michael says

5. GregV says

@Michael: Well, the promotion of anti-black doctrine was the whole point of the establishment of the Southern Baptist church to begin with, and Southern Baptists were the backbone of the Klan. I’ve always found it ironic that anyone gay, black or female chooses a church whose history is so ugly with anti-black, anti-female and anti-gay suppression.

6. Walter Fletcher says

Gee I thougt if churches urged their comgregants to vote a certain way hey would lose their tax exempt status. I mean this does work on both sides but……. I am getting tired of all the ignorantce I am reading out one the web. Has anyone here seen the rant and rave section for Baltimores Craigslist page? Marriage should be between two adult who love each other period, gender should have no bearing to make it legal or illegal!

7. james says

@Walter Fletcher. A religious organization can take a position on an issue, but cannot endorse or support a candidate. So a church or pastor can say “We support marriage equality and you should too.” They cannot say “We support marriage equality, you should too, and you should vote for Candidate X because she supports it as well.”