Mika | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mika Talks Coming Out, 'The Origin of Love': VIDEO

Mika

British singer-songwriter Mika paid a visit to CNN's Starting Point this morning to speak with Soledad O'Brien and Richard Socarides about his new album The Origin of Love. He also talked about his recent decision to come out of the closet.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He never made a splash in the United States. He is virtually unknown here apart from some hipsters.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 16, 2012 11:19:40 AM

2. Oh WoW!
    I thought he was STRAIGHT all this time!
    Boy, did he fool me!

Posted by: fazal deen | Oct 16, 2012 11:29:19 AM

3. If that's the case, Javier, last night's PACKED show at NYC's Webster Hall where everyone knew all his lyrics, sang along, etc. would mean that "virtually unknown" means pretty damn popular.

Posted by: Ozmosis | Oct 16, 2012 12:04:10 PM

4. I do not think that he is not unpopular in the US, it is more because of homophobic radio DJs and music suits that prevent airplay. (Just ask Adam Lambart). Homophobia is alive and well in the music industry especially at the radio-play level. Most of the talk about being tolerant, etc. is just talk.

Posted by: RK | Oct 16, 2012 12:19:05 PM

5. If you listened to "Billy Brown" from his first album and watched his wrists closely, you knew he was a Mo. Perez only promoted other queens back in the day before he got too big for his britches.

Posted by: Kissyfur | Oct 16, 2012 12:35:01 PM

6. I am going to see him in LA this Sunday!!! Love him.

Posted by: andypharmer | Oct 16, 2012 1:14:09 PM

7. Too bad the new album sucks.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 16, 2012 1:19:41 PM

8. I wonder why now. Oh right.... Because he has an album to promote which has had zero buzz around it.. My issue is that he WAS open about his sexuality before his first album came out in the UK (and some of those songs were pretty obvious), but then allowed Tommy Mottola (exec from Sony and Mariah's ex) to push him back into the closet to crack the American market. In a way I'm glad it backfired- otherwise he would've predated even Lambert as being "a bit' of a trailblazer in the teen pop market.. Alas it wasn't meant to be and now he's falling back on his sexuality to do the trick and somehow bring him back to relevance....

Posted by: Girl Please | Oct 16, 2012 1:41:06 PM

9. "If that's the case, Javier, last night's PACKED show at NYC's Webster Hall where everyone knew all his lyrics, sang along, etc. would mean that "virtually unknown" means pretty damn popular."

And you think a Webster Hall crowd in NYC is mainstream America? Perhaps, you should get out NYC and see this huge country.
    "

Posted by: Javier | Oct 16, 2012 2:18:52 PM

10. I was listening to the new album this morning and I'm as confused as ever why he isn't more popular in the US. His songs are loaded with hooks and he's so talented. I don't agree with Matt who thinks the new album "sucks". There are a few clunks but on the whole it's glorious and if you don't like the title track, I don't think there's hope.

The new Miguel Bose is also very good and worth checking out.

Posted by: Steve Sando | Oct 16, 2012 4:29:21 PM

11. I loved the first two albums. I hope the new one is as good.

I find his fake American accent very childish. I wish he would just talk naturally.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 17, 2012 12:46:05 AM

12. Icebloo: Yep, it's definitely pretension, nothing at all to do with his American father.

Posted by: BT | Oct 17, 2012 3:41:34 PM