Gay Marriage | News | Polls

New Poll Says 60 Percent of Latinos Support Marriage Equality

Nbc_latino_poll

A new NBC Latino/IBOPE Zogby survey reveals that a solid majority of Latinos support marriage equality:

"Thirty eight percent said they disagree and 31 percent said they did so strongly...The statistics don’t mean there is complete acceptance of gays by Latinos, however. When it came to the biggest disappointment a parent would feel regarding their children, 43 percent said it would be if their child became a drug addict. Going to prison was the biggest disappointment for 33 percent of those surveyed. But 10 percent said having a gay child would be their biggest issue, while only 5 percent said a teen pregnancy would be their greatest disappointment."

(h/t zack ford)

Comments

1. You had me going until I saw it was a Zogby poll.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 3, 2012 11:25:39 AM

2. This is no surprise at all. Every poll taken in recent times has indicated that Latinos are much more supportive of gay equality than the national average. The only demographic that is VERY SLIGHTLY more supportive of gay equality than Latinos is white ethnic Catholics. As shown by polls in Maryland, especially Prince George County, African-Americans are moving rapidly in this direction. This leaves white evangelicals as the very worst demographic regarding gay equality. By some uncanny coincidence, would this happen to be the demographic of some of Towleroad's very own trolls and their STUPID RELATIVES? Just asking.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 11:28:01 AM

3. Just asking… again… and again… and again.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 11:29:32 AM

4. [Sound of crickets.]

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 11:31:04 AM

5. Zogby?

I think the poll is basically accurate. I'd be curious to see a side by side of 'whites', 'Hispanics', Blacks and Asians.

No question the black southern based evangelical churches are the primary cause of fierce African American homophobia, IMO. I bet lack of support among Asians is high also, but I could be wrong.

'Hispanics' is tricky, you must differentiate between native born and raised and new immigrants, and where they come from, their socioeconomic status, etc. Evangelical churches are becoming VERY popular in the 'Hispanic' community in America, and they are generally far more stridently anti-gay than mainstrean American Catholic thought, minus the churches attempt to demonize gays among church officials, most American Catholics are not highly religious and take church teachings and pronouncements with a big grain of salt.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2012 11:37:37 AM

6. @ Ratbastard,

I agree with you that the Zogby poll is basically accurate. The breakdown in my comment above simply relies on the polling percentages of various demographics, especially in states which have marriage equality amendments this year. Your own comment highlights only specific instances of what will make Latinos and African-Americans look bad and completely ignores the wretched obstacle to equality which is white Evangelicals. Why the skew, Ratbastard? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 11:52:41 AM

7. You don't have an "inquiring mind", Artie. You are a typical Northeastern liberal Jew with all the biases and prejudices that come with that kind of a background....and those biases and prejudices are no better or more valid than the biases and prejudices of other demographic groups.

So there is the answer--probably not the one you were looking for, but an honest one, nonetheless.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 3, 2012 11:59:15 AM

8. And Rick takes some time out from hating women and non-butch gays to hate on Jews! Seriously Andy, how much bigotry does one have to spew to get banned around here?!

Posted by: ChristopherM | Oct 3, 2012 12:11:23 PM

9. @ Rick,

(1) Plenty of gentiles are named Artie. You seem to have some obsession with Jews. I can't answer to that because I'm not Jewish.

(2) You aren't contesting the polling results that I'm talking about because you can't. White ethnic Catholics and Latinos score consistently highest concerning gay equality, and they always have. African-Americans were behind, but those numbers are moving quickly, especially in Maryland. I think the attitudes of black voters were dependent on the REGION of the U.S. where they lived. Obviously, in the Deep South, blacks attitudes reflected the Southern whites who control their society. Blacks in Northern states, and Maryland, reflect a more progressive society.

Rick, that still leaves your stinking homophobic, trailer trash relatives (the ones you're always kissing up to) as the biggest impediment to civil rights equality today. Please tell your Uncle Zack and your Aunt Hattie to piss off. Thanks.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 12:16:36 PM

10. @ Rick,

You've mentioned your suspicion that I was Jewish before, and I think I can see the misunderstanding. Fort Lauderdale has a fairly representative population of Americans of Northern heritage. You're thinking of Boca Raton, a Florida city just to our north, which has a majority Jewish population. Glad I could clear that up for you. Please get to know South Florida better before you comment.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 12:22:35 PM

11. @ Rick,

I just noticed the other "horrible" insult you hurled at me in your comment. You called me a liberal, which you clearly equate with being a bad person. Hannity, Limbaugh, et al decry liberals as people who support gay equality. You smell like a closet case to me. Maybe you'd be more comfortable on "Free Republic"?

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 12:29:14 PM

12. Another math problem gone wrong. We can't depend on "maybes".

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Oct 3, 2012 12:30:50 PM

13. As a Latino who is out to his parents, I can tell you that there is a difference between believing that same-sex couples should have the right to marry and being disappointed that your child is gay. Family and grandchildren are especially important to Latinos (not that they aren't to most cultures, but I'm just saying that while my parents are very supportive, they are still disappointed that I probably won't be having a child.) Also, my parents are for gay marriage, because the California Supreme Court said we should be able to marry. Minorities can be very sensitive to the idea of a "mob" being able to take away Constitutionally granted rights. It is something that should be emphasized more in the debates about gay marriage, I feel.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Oct 3, 2012 12:33:20 PM

14. I hate Jews and blacks and women and liberals because I masturbate to my extensive collection of Nazi paraphernalia.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 3, 2012 12:47:15 PM

15. @Artie,

I've strongly condemned 'white' and all other evangelicals for their brutal homophobia in many TR posts. I've NEVER shied from condemning 'whites' for bad behavior. So spare me your outrage. I said in the case of many [NOT ALL!] black Americans rooted in the south, the southern based evangelical so-called black church is mostly to blame for widespread homophobia, as the evangelicals are likewise responsible for widespread homophobia among white, Hispanic and Asian [YES! There are many Asian evangelical Christians] in especially the south, but all regions of the country.

As for the NY 'Jew' liberal comment by another poster: Artie [and others], you can hardly blame some people for thinking the worse since NY based 'progressives' of Jewish background are often at the forefront of loudly mocking southern whites as racist hicks and neo Nazis just itching to round up Jews and other 'minorities' into concentration camps. It's of course ridiculous and quite bigoted to stereotype and think such things [even worse, hypocritical, when those who loudly condemn engage in the same behavior they are condemning]. It is open season on all people of a certain demographic by 'progressives' in America, and you can get away with saying things about these mocked people that you'd be roundly condemned, even censored and ostracized, if you made similar sweeping statements about the 'protected' class of 'minorities' in our country.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2012 12:50:58 PM

16. I hate Jews and blacks and women and liberals because I masturbate to my extensive collection of Nazi paraphernalia.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 3, 2012 12:47:15 PM

===============

Lil Canadian,

Stop acting like a child and grow up.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2012 12:52:04 PM

17. LET'S PLAY "CONNECTING THE DOTS WITH RICK"

You spew hatred toward "Northeastern liberal Jews." Why is that I wonder? Let's connect the dots. The Northeast of the U.S. is by far and away the region where marriage equality (and gay rights equality) has advanced the furthest. Hence, Northeasterners are the bad people. People who identify as politically liberal are also overwhelmingly in favor of marriage equality and general civil rights. They are, therefore, also the bad people. And your obsession with Jews? Jews also poll MUCH higher than the national average regarding gay rights and marriage equality. So they are another example of the bad people. Are we connecting the dots?

And tell me, Rick, who are the good people? "Conservative" white evangelicals… wait! YOUR STUPID RELATIVES. So you really think that Towleroad readers are too dense to connect the dots? I think they've already connected the dots: You're a closet case (unsuccessfully closeted, that is) that your relatives hate because they think you're just too goddamn girly-acting.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 12:53:55 PM

18. @ Ratbastard,

I can't really answer to any complaints about whether Jews unfairly demonize other groups because I'm not Jewish. I was simply pointing out that, when it comes to election time, white evangelicals are much more of a problem than white ethnic Catholics, Latinos, and yes, I suppose Jews. Polls bear this out. I did note that I agreed with your first statement about the Zogby poll. The only thing I meant to add was that white evangelicals are the biggest roadblock to equality right now. As far as blacks in the Deep South, I suppose they share the same prejudices as their white neighbors, but on a national scale, they just don't have the same political clout (especially in the Republican Party) as their white evangelical neighbors in the Deep South. I'm just trying for a balanced assessment of what the obstacles to equality are.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 1:02:59 PM

19. 'And tell me, Rick, who are the good people? "Conservative" white evangelicals… wait! YOUR STUPID RELATIVES.'

==============

Thank you,Artie, for proving my point.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2012 1:03:49 PM

20. @ Ratbastard,

"Conservative" white evangelicals are overwhelmingly homophobic zealots who will stop at nothing to thwart equality. I've proven your point? What exactly was your point again?

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Oct 3, 2012 1:09:44 PM

21. Gracias amigos.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | Oct 3, 2012 1:17:06 PM

22. As long as they are the dry-backed voting kind of Hispanicanierdos, this matters.

Posted by: Jackson | Oct 3, 2012 1:19:33 PM

23. I live vicariously through an anonymous internet handle.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2012 1:33:57 PM

24. Wow! only rick could use his prejudiced reasoning to say that Jews are prejudiced and equate it to being bad and still fight to think that he's not a prejudiced bigot. Talk about height of hypocrisy.

Posted by: Pommie | Oct 3, 2012 1:54:59 PM

25. btw I lovew Latinos, they are really emerging out as a strong group.

Posted by: Pommie | Oct 3, 2012 1:57:00 PM