Bullying | GLAAD | Honey Boo Boo | News

BigGayDeal.com

Honey Boo Boo Child and Her Uncle Poodle Speak Out Against Bullying on GLAAD's Spirit Day: VIDEO

Poodle

Alana Thompson, aka Honey Boo Boo child and perhaps the youngest advocate for gay people on reality TV, released a statement in support of GLAAD's anti-bullying Spirit Day today, and her gay uncle Lee Thompson (aka Uncle Poodle because Alana calls all gay people "poodles") released a video talking about being bullied in the South.

HoneyboobooWrites Honey Boo Boo on Facebook:

well today is GLAAD (gay and lesbian alliance against defamation) spirit day and we and the GLAAD r asking u to wear purple in support of antibullying and also shows u support gay and lesbian community cause they have alot of hate crimes in that community its sad so if u join us in this spirit day post pics on here thanks sorry if we offended anyone by supporting the gay and lesbian but they r ppl too and u can't change the way u r or who u fell in love with...and we support uncle poodle and all the other poodles in the world too

Watch Uncle Poodle's message, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. And here I was offended by this "Poodle" nonsense. But damn, he is super femme-y. If the pink Chanel, rhinestone-studded collar fits.

Posted by: Artie | Oct 19, 2012 6:53:05 PM

2. You think he's super femme-y? And I take it you mean this as in insult... Seriously, get over yourself.

Posted by: Zydrate | Oct 19, 2012 7:01:16 PM

3. When Honey Boo Boo makes more sense and shows more empathy than a good portion of our elected officials, it's officially time to course-correct.

Posted by: Mikey | Oct 19, 2012 7:02:12 PM

4. You're all class, Artie. Way to encourage everyone to be who they are. In that spirit, I fully support you as you embrace your identity as a Web troll.

Posted by: Bakeley | Oct 19, 2012 7:03:09 PM

5. Where's your video, Artie, to show how butch you are?

He's an out guy where it's not easy being out, pretty much the definition of manhood in my book. Good for him for speaking out and for his family for standing by him--classier than many.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 19, 2012 7:16:25 PM

6. How sad that we rely on TV personalities for out shout-outs. What on earth have we come to?

Posted by: jason | Oct 19, 2012 7:17:02 PM

7. His video is fine. He isn't asking for your approval.

But Alana's statement? It's great that she loves her uncle, her family supports him, etc. but I do NOT like this "poodle" business. Lee Thompson is an individual and if he's a little on the effeminate side that's his business, who he is, and I don't have a problem with that. But that's entirely different from referring to ALL gay men as poodles. If that gets picked up by others I'm going to be p*ssed because it's just another gay stereotype.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 19, 2012 7:26:08 PM

8. "super femme-y"? Not even close. You obviously haven't been to the South, Artie, where probably a third of the straight men are like that.

You know the game "Gay or English"? It used to be "Gay or Southern" but it was too hard so they had to change it.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Oct 19, 2012 8:40:55 PM

9. UNCLE POODLE LIKES IT DOGGY-STYLE!!!

Posted by: FUDGE PAC | Oct 19, 2012 9:21:16 PM

10. Keepin' it classy, Fudge Pac.

Posted by: MateoM | Oct 19, 2012 9:43:38 PM

11. I'm a Yankee transplanted into the Deep South. I came here with my share of prejudices. Some of them were borne out, but most of them were inaccurate, as prejudices are wont to be. Lee is beautiful and strong. He might have saved a child's life with his message. What have you accomplished today?

Posted by: Harrison | Oct 19, 2012 10:38:31 PM

12. "How sad that we rely on TV personalities for out shout-outs. What on earth have we come to?"

@Jason Most minorities, which we are, anywhere in the world "rely" on TV personalities for shout-outs. As for "what have we come to"? Speaking as someone that's almost 50 years old, I think we've come a hell of a long way, at least in the US. I'm sorry you feel so much contempt and cynicism.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 19, 2012 10:39:21 PM

13. Progressive, accepting rednecks! I love it to death

Posted by: Sam A | Oct 19, 2012 11:51:20 PM

14. I love Uncle Poodle. I would take him as he is.

Posted by: Gregoire | Oct 19, 2012 11:55:58 PM

15. Out of the mouths of redneck babes comes wisdom that many who lead this land haven't gained over their long years. Can I just say I love Honey Boo Boo? Sometimes it's like watching a train wreck, but other times you get some priceless lines. I, personally, have nothing against her calling all gays "poodles." In fact, I intend to start using it myself.

Posted by: bruce | Oct 20, 2012 12:14:13 AM

16. Go Uncle Poodle - Woof Woof!!

Posted by: max | Oct 20, 2012 4:54:54 AM

17. I don't find Uncle Poodle necessarily femmy at all. I find him necessarily loveable. Imagine surviving his childhood! Dislocated arms, broken jaw etc. What a nightmare. Can any amount of voting or education or protestation ever put an end to it? I was raised in the Northwest and never in my life saw anything like the mistreatments I read about here and in the usual media.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 20, 2012 5:09:16 AM

18. He's very articulate. I wish I was that good at getting my message across.

Posted by: Nancy Horrigan | Oct 20, 2012 5:31:46 AM

19. what have we come to? We've come to a point where someone on television or another type of mass media will speak about gay issues in a positive sense instead of being silent/invisible or extremely negative.

And please give me a break- we have someone giving a kindhearted display of affection and acceptance (not tolerance, acceptance) and people get hung up on the "poodle" thing. I'm going to assume these opinions come from younger people in more accepting areas that don't have real gay problems to deal with or have dealt with in the past.

Watch a movie or read a book about life pre-stonewall and you'll realize that endorsements from reality TV personalities and getting called a poodle is really negligible in comparison. Don't be so ignorant

Posted by: MaddM@ | Oct 20, 2012 8:10:07 AM

20. It is somewhat ironic that Honey Boo Boo's family is probably the least judgmental, while they are judged so harshly by others. The Uncle Poodle nickname is a term of endearment, and probably meant to take ownership of an otherwise insulting term. My mother used to call gay men "enchanted" because they thought the word gay was derogatory.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Oct 20, 2012 8:40:59 AM

21. Yeah. That's what I am. An enchanted poodle. Love it!

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 20, 2012 10:13:08 AM

22. Uncle Poodle sounds like Gomer Pyle. The other poster is right, a lot of dudes in that part of the country sound like that.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 20, 2012 10:33:52 AM

23. Whether this guy is femme or not is completely beside the point. The fact that you all are debating the issue just underscores how much internalized homophobia is still out there in the world. He is who he is, mannerisms and all, and to label him as being "femme", to defend him by saying "no he's not", and to attack the labelers by implying they're probably not so butch themselves, are all equally discordant with the whole objective of Spirit Day. As far as her calling him "Uncle Poodle" goes, I have to say I didn't like it at first, but it's obvious from her post on Spirit Day that there's absolutely no malice behind it, only love, and it has to be taken in that spirit. I love this family.

Posted by: Don | Oct 20, 2012 10:36:01 AM

24. Honey just proves that kids are not born prejudice. They are raised to be a bigot or raised to embrace everyone. Kudos to Honey's parents and Cheers to her Uncle for being out in a small town with a church on every corner.

Posted by: Chadd | Oct 20, 2012 11:36:41 AM

25. Whatever lee Thompson sounds like, looks like or acts like is irrelevant to the message he is helping to spread; one of tolerance and acceptance. If he can't get that from other gay people, how can we expect it from the rest of the world?

And from an earlier post - The term "poodle" comes from HBB's pageant coach.

"We were at practice one day, getting ready for a pageant. Her coach was talking about her gay friends, and she said, ‘I love all my poodles.’ Alana thought she was really talking about dogs. She wanted to know how many poodles she had, and what were their names,” Thompson said in his sit-down with Topher Payne. “And I said, ‘No, Alana, she’s talking about gay people.’ Well, that did it. All gay people are poodles to her now, and I’m her number one poodle.” Boo Boo would then use the p-word to describe Anderson Cooper, who was at that point about a month away from officially coming out.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/honey-boo-boo/#ixzz29r0UQRCm