BigGayDeal.com

Patriots Linebacker Brandon Spikes Compares Fear of Spiders to Fear of Homosexuals: VIDEO

Spikes

New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes is receiving a barrage of feedback on Twitter for a Tweet he posted yesterday that he insists was "a joke."

Brand_spikesSaid Spikes in the tweet:

I’m homophobic just like I’m arachnophobic.I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders but I’d still scream if I found one in my bathtub !

HuffPost reports:

Spikes then received a slew of criticism from those who said his comments were insensitive and served as a bad example for children who look up to him.

"Gay jokes, how clever...remember you are a rode model for kids around the world. October is also anti-bullying month," tweeted one user. "Your homophobic jokes make me as a New England Patriots fan for most of my life ashamed. I hope the Patriots suspend you," responded another. "Gotta hand it to @BrandonSpikes55 for crafting a tweet that makes him sound simultaneously like a tough guy homophobe AND a complete weenie," wrote another.

Watch a report from FOX25 Boston, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few seconds to load...

Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Comments

1. If I found him in my bathtub I'd throw up, so maybe we're even.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 11, 2012 2:36:44 PM

2. I actually find that quite tame, personally. His syntax might be a little off, but I don't find it damning. I think we're getting a little oversensitive in our old age.

Posted by: Beau | Oct 11, 2012 2:37:01 PM

3. It 's okay, Brandon. I feel the same way about black people, so we're even.

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Oct 11, 2012 2:37:56 PM

4. He DESPERATELY needs some gay people in his life to help him with that HIDEOUS hair. YUCK. No gay man would touch that fugly dumbass.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 11, 2012 2:42:03 PM

5. He does realize that screaming at a spider makes him gay, doesn't he?

Posted by: Gregoire | Oct 11, 2012 2:43:44 PM

6. The guy is like 25. I know he's in the spotlight in New England I guess, but we shouldn't get too worked up over his comments. Young people say dumb things, and don't fully know who they are. Let see how he feels in 5 or 10 years.

Posted by: Billy | Oct 11, 2012 2:45:34 PM

7. Maybe I'm just missing the whole concept here. I actually found his comment to be pro-gay. He would scream if he found a homosexual in his bathtub. I would too if I didn't expect them to be there.
    It's what he would do after the scream that would or would not make him homophobic or arachnophobic. If he would kill both after the scream, then he's homophobic.

Posted by: Brendan | Oct 11, 2012 2:52:22 PM

8. So...what you're saying is....you're a pussy?

Posted by: Jack | Oct 11, 2012 2:53:19 PM

9. I do not find that comment insulting at all. It sounds like a lame joke to me. Are we that untouchable/sensitive that we won't take a stupid joke for what it is?

Posted by: ElCid | Oct 11, 2012 2:53:28 PM

10. Personally . . . I find it kind of funny. I cannot really tell from the joke if he is a homophobe. Worse things have been said.

Posted by: Ricco | Oct 11, 2012 2:54:01 PM

11. Oh, come on. It's kind of funny! And pokes fun at how stupid it is to call it "homophobia"... Like the internet meme says "you're not afraid of gay people, you're just an ass hole"

Posted by: Rich in DC | Oct 11, 2012 2:54:38 PM

12. So, he has an irrational fear of gay people and spiders? What a maroon.

Posted by: Sam Armstrong | Oct 11, 2012 2:55:38 PM

13. What kind of comedians are these people watching? This is absolutely not a joke, and someone who makes millions being in the public eye should be accountable for this.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Oct 11, 2012 2:57:18 PM

14. I have to admit, I laughed over this. We have so much worse things to get angry over, this isn't even an annoyance. It's a joke. That's all. Hell, I'D scream if I found a random homosexual in my bath tub. What KIND of scream would depend on said random homosexual. ;-)

Posted by: Steve | Oct 11, 2012 2:59:11 PM

15. What a sissy this Brandon Yikes is, right?

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Oct 11, 2012 2:59:30 PM

16. I would scream too to find you anywhere let alone in my bathtub and If only spiders could speak....
    Btw do you guys really think he needs a bathtub? Doesn't look like he bathes.

Posted by: Markus | Oct 11, 2012 3:00:53 PM

17. Oh, yeah. Brandon is so, so butch!

Posted by: fritzrth | Oct 11, 2012 3:06:31 PM

18. Hmm, let me try that joke formula: "I'm blackophobic like I'm arachnophobic. I don't have anything against blacks or spiders, but I'd still scream if I found one in my classroom." For those who don't think his tweet is offensive, I guess you don't find this offensive either.

Posted by: belo | Oct 11, 2012 3:09:09 PM

19. Belichick will put a gag on him and beat him up. He gagged ochocinco last year which is unheard of. Even trash talking other players is not tolerated. Very unpatroitic.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 11, 2012 3:10:41 PM

20. Please change your name Brandon.......I live there and it is an honourable name,(after the god Bran,) which you only besmirch with your ignorant musings.

Not every dumb thought has to come out your hole.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 11, 2012 3:10:42 PM

21. For guys like this, I usually say, "Replace the word gay with black and see if you feel the same way".

Posted by: CMLion | Oct 11, 2012 3:17:15 PM

22. Well....I know...SOME gays can be rather spidery...

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 11, 2012 3:20:29 PM

23. Another black homophobe. What a surprise. And he's ugly. Ditto, ditto.

Posted by: Bob | Oct 11, 2012 3:20:30 PM

24. Why do gays so often not like blacks? It makes me sad. It is difficult because as a black person I am dumbfounded by the fact that so many minorities who have been wrongly judged for the color of their skin can then turn around and be homophobic. But the opposite side is that the gay community is becoming more and more discriminitory itself... idk.... It seems that as a minirity you haven't fully assimilated until you can start discriminating against another group. If true, i think it is safe to say we gays are well on our way to becoming an accepted part of american society.

Posted by: cdubois | Oct 11, 2012 3:22:18 PM

25. I'm not defending him, but there is some truth in what Billy (above) says. I'm pretty sure I said stupid (unrecorded) things until age 25.

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 11, 2012 3:24:11 PM