Patriots Linebacker Brandon Spikes Compares Fear of Spiders to Fear of Homosexuals: VIDEO

Spikes

New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes is receiving a barrage of feedback on Twitter for a Tweet he posted yesterday that he insists was "a joke."

Brand_spikesSaid Spikes in the tweet:

I’m homophobic just like I’m arachnophobic.I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders but I’d still scream if I found one in my bathtub !

HuffPost reports:

Spikes then received a slew of criticism from those who said his comments were insensitive and served as a bad example for children who look up to him.

"Gay jokes, how clever...remember you are a rode model for kids around the world. October is also anti-bullying month," tweeted one user. "Your homophobic jokes make me as a New England Patriots fan for most of my life ashamed. I hope the Patriots suspend you," responded another. "Gotta hand it to @BrandonSpikes55 for crafting a tweet that makes him sound simultaneously like a tough guy homophobe AND a complete weenie," wrote another.

Watch a report from FOX25 Boston, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few seconds to load...

Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Comments

1. Out of context, it's funny. And so is the flip side that Tessie Tura mentioned.

But he might need to explain his true views.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 11, 2012 5:46:29 PM

2. LOL@me. I waited all day long to read the comments here because I thought the racists might have a field day. I didn't feel like trading racial slurs. Well, it wasn't that bad. There were a couple of ignorant b.tches that blamed ALL BLACKS for the stupid comment of one homophobe....but it wasn't that bad.

But, of course, who would get me to laughing with his foolish-azz remarks? Why, Rick, of course:

"Of course, I am probably not telling you something you don't already know.....and I think it accounts for a lot of the anger black gays feel towards non-black gays."

LOL...who the f.ck do you think would crave your 54 year old pale, pimpled azz? Not us n-words, and that's for sure. And NOT 14 year old Arab boys! Not anymore, Miss Rick. (you monster). LOL :-)

Silly ol' cow.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 11, 2012 5:49:19 PM

3. @Derrick: tell me about it!

RICK is an old, wrinkly, shriveled-up, SINGLE, white M-Fer who misses the glory days of the good ol' (WHITE) boys club and can't deal with the (increasingly socially recognized) beauty and worth and intelligence of black brown yellow men and women.

he is also busy over at today's "Paul Ryan Flexes Muscle..." TR post, getting down on his hands and knees and grovelling at the shrine of paul ryan b/c, you know, ryan is white so RICK has no further questions.

Posted by: redball | Oct 11, 2012 6:07:31 PM

4. Now now fellas... Rick has a right to say what he feels. His reply to my comment put it down pretty sharply and made me rather sad but non the less he didn't hurl insults or disparage anyone's character. He just stated what he feels is his truth.. . Let's hope he's wrong, but let's not call names.

Posted by: cdubois | Oct 11, 2012 6:18:16 PM

5. ... Also, I haven't encountered many gay blacks who are angry about the racism within our community. It's more about dissapointment in the blatant hipocrisy of it all. We have enough crap to deal with without getting more crap slung at us from our own gay brothers and sisterz

Posted by: cdubois | Oct 11, 2012 6:24:53 PM

6. Heh, I lol'd... Seriously, there are so many examples of actual homophobia, this should be a non-issue.

Posted by: DavyJones | Oct 11, 2012 6:31:51 PM

7. @CDUBOIS, welcome. have you been here long? if not, my guess is that after a while RICK's racism will start to wear on you too. RATBASTARD's as well (assuming they are different people, which some of us seem to be highly suspicious about).

Posted by: redball | Oct 11, 2012 6:34:48 PM

8. (...b/c their comments are often all too similar in tone if not actual wording)

Posted by: redball | Oct 11, 2012 6:35:36 PM

9. Don't worry sugar, I'd find you about as much of a turn on as the corpse of Phyllis Diller.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 11, 2012 7:47:24 PM

10. Btw - not because he's black, but because he's really unattractive to me - stupid attempt at joke and childish fear of spiders inclusive.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 11, 2012 7:51:49 PM

11. @CDUBOIS

I was just making an observation. I don't think it is 100% social construction as Redball suggested before he went off the deep end with his later comments (Derrick is permanently off the deep end, so.....), but I am sure that there is SOME cultural element to what is considered attractive.

On the other hand, physical and sexual attraction is, on some level, so visceral that I think there is a limit to how much cultural pressure can influence it......which is why, of course, it is almost impossible for any of us to deny our attraction to men rather than women, despite the enormous pressure society has placed on us to do so.

It is a touchy, explosive topic--I understand that--I was just trying to answer you honestly.

For what it is worth, I personally have had sex over the years with guys of all races, including black guys (although Derrick and Redball won't believe it).....they tend to think I am "racist" because of my candor about racial matters, as opposed to the dishonesty that so many others engage in.

I guess maybe I got into that habit from having spent a lot of time in Africa, which is not nearly as race-obsessed as America is.....which, incidentally, is why I think Barack Obama was able to transcend race so easily in a way that I doubt many other African-Americans could....he just never absorbed the poisonous effects of American history, given his background, so it has never disabled him the way it does some others.

Peace.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 11, 2012 7:55:55 PM

12. @redball Thanks for the welcome! I've frequented this website for years but rarely comment. I'm not familiar with Rick or Ratbastard but I don't find him offensive (thus far lol) I actually appreciate his candor despite the fact that his views don't seem to line up with my own. Only time will tell I guess

Posted by: cdubois | Oct 11, 2012 8:29:24 PM

13. RICK, it's at the very least MOSTLY socially constructed. i dont have time to parse it out any further than that with you.

Posted by: redball | Oct 11, 2012 9:30:37 PM

14. It might not sound nice but I think what Rick said is true.

Posted by: James | Oct 11, 2012 11:14:36 PM

15. Hey..... If I fouund a woman in the bathtub I would let out a shriek as well.

Posted by: Louis | Oct 11, 2012 11:15:37 PM

16. Some of y'all need to tone down the righteous indignation. Seriously, you're coming off as ignorant at best, and way too delicate at worst.

Posted by: RJ | Oct 12, 2012 12:11:07 AM

17. Some of y'all need to tone down the righteous indignation. Seriously, you're coming off as ignorant at best, and way too delicate at worst.

Posted by: RJ | Oct 12, 2012 12:11:08 AM

18. I'm going out on a limb, but I think what he actually was trying to convey is being misinterpreted. An interesting but clumsy comment on his part, and who doesn't on occasion F up? Who?

I'd cut the guy slack on this.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 12, 2012 7:44:46 AM

19. If I found a random homosexual in my bathtub, I'd lock the door from the outside and call the police. If I find a spider, a gently take it outside.

Now what does that make me?

Posted by: Lee | Oct 12, 2012 8:12:29 AM