Baseball | Derek Holland | Gay Slurs | News | Sports

Texas Rangers Pitcher Derek Holland Doesn't Know How Someone Posted a Homophobic Slur on His Twitter Account

Someone with access to Texas Rangers pitcher Derek Holland's Twitter account tweeted the message "ur a fag" at a heckler on Sunday after the heckler directed a tweet at Holland calling him a "waste of space."

The AP reports: Holland

Major League Baseball is investigating the post, which was quickly taken down. Holland, a Newark High School graduate, said Monday in Oakland he was either pitching at the time or in the dugout and he didn’t do it. He added that his fiancée, Lauren, is the only person he knows has access to his account and she told him she was not involved. He also checked with family members, who said they knew nothing about it.

“I honestly don’t know. I know it wasn’t myself,” Holland said. “I’ve talked to my family and my fiancee and they all said the exact same thing: It wasn’t them. I have no idea. All I know is MLB is taking care of it and they’re going to help me out and figure out who it was. I was blindsided by it. I had no idea.”

Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels called it unacceptable: "It’s not a term or a sentiment we endorse in any way. We asked Derek about it. He was not aware of it happening. He had been out during the game. We alerted MLB about it so while we’re doing our own investigation they can do one as well. We continue to follow up on that at this time. Derek says he didn’t do it. He’s not sure how it got out, obviously. That’s what we’re looking into.”

Last month Toronto Blue Jays player Yunel Escobar faced a three game suspension and was ordered to pay lost salary to GLAAD and the You Can Play Project, as well as undergo sensitivity training after he took the field wearing an anti-gay slur in his eye black.

Comments

1. Goes to show that homophobia with sports fans is a very severe issue. But if there is anything good that comes out of things like this, it puts the issue of homophobia in sports out there and, hopefully, creates dialogue and eventually some change.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 2, 2012 2:05:46 PM

2. why would anyone, even his girlfriend, have access to use his account?

Posted by: Tim NC | Oct 2, 2012 2:06:48 PM

3. That's a lot of BS.

Posted by: Kip | Oct 2, 2012 2:06:50 PM

4. Well it was probably his wife who sent the tweet and now she's lying. Derek was pitching in a game when it was sent so I doubt it was him.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 2, 2012 2:15:46 PM

5. Twitter's terms of service forbid sharing your password (with anyone), this is why.

When you share your password, YOU are responsible for what others tweet.

Posted by: StarGem | Oct 2, 2012 2:22:39 PM

6. It may be unlikely, but it could have a hacker. I have friends whose Twitter and Facebook accounts were hacked.

Posted by: JeffH | Oct 2, 2012 2:26:50 PM

7. And what jury would believe this defence ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 2, 2012 2:33:22 PM

8. They need to get their stories straight. The player says he was either pitching or in the dug out when it happened. The general manager says he had "been out" during the game. So, which is it?

Posted by: Tim NC | Oct 2, 2012 2:40:05 PM

9. Maybe it was Yoni Escobar.

Posted by: Jackson | Oct 2, 2012 3:01:47 PM

10. Innocent until proven guilty; however, I do find it suspicious that he didn't express any disagreement with the nature of the comment...just that he didn't do it.

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER I | Oct 2, 2012 3:03:58 PM

11. Most of these mysteries end the same way -- the butler did it.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Oct 2, 2012 5:37:12 PM

12. Yes! He should not only deny he did something he did not do, he should be fired for not coming out and saying how very awful the post was, even if he did not see it or know what it said exactly.

You silly queens sure have thin skins.

Posted by: ted baldwin | Oct 2, 2012 8:24:52 PM

13. Taken from the article that it seems few commenters bothered to read:

"Daniels called it a “serious issue — it’s an unacceptable term to use.”"

Posted by: OddBet | Oct 2, 2012 8:52:36 PM

14. @oddbet Daniels is not the player you idiot. Did you read the article?

Posted by: JNJ | Oct 2, 2012 9:15:35 PM

15. Delivering it is in reality unique leather-based therapies moreover preferences, some a few some people's mulberry hobo totes tend to be regularly ideal for day-to-day reaching use.

Posted by: mulberry handbags | Oct 12, 2012 3:28:59 AM