Anderson Cooper | Honey Boo Boo | News | Television

The Tao Of Uncle Poodle: Honey Boo Boo's Kinsman Speaks Out

UnclePoodleTLC reality show Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is having far more pro-gay cultural impact than most people anticipated.

Who could have predicted that 7-year old beauty contestant Alana and her family would use their televisual platform to celebrate LGBT inclusion, as they have with Alana Boo Boo's openly gay "Uncle Poodle," Lee Thompson?

Now Thompson himself is speaking out, and his remarks are actually quite profound.

In an interview with the Georgia Voice last week, Thompson, 29, first explains the origins of "Uncle Poodle," telling the paper it all started with Boo Boo's pageant coach.

"We were at practice one day, getting ready for a pageant. Her coach was talking about her gay friends, and she said, ‘I love all my poodles.’ Alana thought she was really talking about dogs. She wanted to know how many poodles she had, and what were their names,” Thompson said in his sit-down with Topher Payne. “And I said, ‘No, Alana, she’s talking about gay people.’ Well, that did it. All gay people are poodles to her now, and I’m her number one poodle.” Boo Boo would then use the p-word to describe Anderson Cooper, who was at that point about a month away from officially coming out.

Thompson later discussed how he and long-time boyfriend Josh married in August, surrounded by friends and family, something many may assume would cause a stir in the deep south. It didn't. Not in Midgeville, at least, and Thompson says all the acceptance he has experienced comes from the fact that he accepts himself.

"I’m gay, but I’m as redneck as I can get," he says. "f you want people to accept you, you have to show you don’t have a problem with yourself and just be up front about who you are. If you do, you earn people’s respect. If everybody would just go on and do that, ignorant people couldn’t cause so many problems. I know this is how I was born and I don’t need to explain it to anybody. I live my life for who I am. That’s why ‘Born This Way’ is gonna be my next tattoo."

If anyone has a problem with him or the other few dozen LGBT people in the area, he doesn't know about it: "If there’s people who have a problem with [homosexuality], they keep it to themselves, just like if I have a problem with them, I keep it to myself.”

Uncle Poodle isn't the only LGBT person on a Georgia-based reality show. AMC's Small Town Security, which takes place in Ringgold, Georgia, features Dennis Croft, a transgender man who is the force's Lieutenant and another example of how being open and honest about ourselves can help open other people's minds and hearts.

Comments

1. They love us so much in the south. I saw that just this past year when S. Carolina banned gay marriage for the second time.

That's what I call respect for gays!

Posted by: Randy | Oct 14, 2012 2:15:50 PM

2. I am not a poodle.
    I am a border collie.
    Learn it.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 14, 2012 2:24:40 PM

3. No matter how you slice it, this guy's a class act. Lucky Honey Boo Boo to have him for an uncle.

Posted by: David J | Oct 14, 2012 2:26:12 PM

4. @ RANDY :

I'm more a Boxer.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 14, 2012 3:45:51 PM

5. his strongest point is the one every Out person has been making for ages: if you don't treat your being gay as something to be ashamed of and you don't apologize for it you give folks no ammo to use it against you.

live Out and command respect. pussy-foot around it and you show yourself to be weak.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 14, 2012 3:49:03 PM

6. I think it's appropriate that he's a poodle- it is a hunting dog anyway. It'll gladly swim through a body of water and go get a dead duck or whatever for you. The standard poodles also can get pretty big.

He's obviously comfortable with himself and if he's a gay redneck poodle then more power to him.

Posted by: MaddM@ | Oct 14, 2012 5:39:56 PM

7. He's cute.

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Oct 15, 2012 12:00:33 AM

8. How much more insecure could you possibly be, than to get upset when a 7 year old has an endearing and naive nickname for you ?

How much more of a hypocrite could you be, than to say this guy's "strongest point" is "outness". No, that's not what he's saying, he's a gay redneck, someone YOU wouldn't want to be seen with, and who wouldn't want to hang with you, you shallow fake makeup bruise wearing gay ghetto hypocrite.

He's real. You find him attractive because he lacks the "gay" affectation, which has always been a FAKE creation born out of shame, self loathing, and a dire need to hide in your stupid bars and clubs, away from the real world.

Posted by: FrankieLaughs | Oct 15, 2012 1:58:50 AM

9. For anyone keeping score, JASON/RICK has stereotyped the following with his drivel:

Effeminate gay men
    Women
    Feminism
    Blacks

And now:

The north
    New York
    gay bars (straight bars exist, I guess they can have bars but not us-whatever I don't go to either?)

Must be pretty lonely in his pathetic, sad, sad world.

Posted by: BEN | Oct 15, 2012 2:10:56 AM

10. "The whole point is that real "diversity" isn't about "acting gay enough", it's about being who you are, and not some phony gay media creation of what "gay" is.

Stupid queens, acceptance isn't something that can be given to you, it's something you create by BEING a person, and not some fake fag ideal other fake fags made up FOR you."

That was worth repeating.

Posted by: Francisco | Oct 15, 2012 5:15:59 AM

11. I can only assume that Frankie and Francisco are the same person, repeating their own horsesh*t assertion as if that would make it valid. It didn't.

Most obviously, the "gay redneck" you're pointing to as some paragon of traditional masculinity helps train his niece for beauty pageants, teaching her how to act like a cross between Mae West and Mammy Oakum. But since he believes that people should BE THEMSELVES he doesn't have a problem with that- unlike you he doesn't have a stick up his @$$ about gendered behavior and doesn't care what you think.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 15, 2012 10:15:47 AM

12. FRANCISCO isn't me. I have no idea who he is.

My remarks stand, if all you get out of them is some BS idea of masculinity and "gender behavior", that's on you.

I think you protest too much, and obsess and project about things up your butt a bit too much. It's very telling.

Posted by: FRANKIELAUGHS | Oct 15, 2012 9:19:13 PM

13. Oh for crying out loud, Frankie is Rick/Jason. Duh.

Posted by: BETTY | Oct 15, 2012 10:44:41 PM

14. Oh Caliban, conspiracy nut much? Shhhhh, I also watch you as you sleep like you suspect.

Posted by: Francisco | Oct 16, 2012 6:09:30 PM

15. I live in the the other gay neighborhood of San Francisco, not the Castro district. The bars which are still gay owned, other than a couple "theme" bars, are entirely accepting of straight people.

The customers just have to be entirely accepting of the gay, transgender or person in drag. Everybody gets along.

The choice to make their bars "Openly accepting of everyone" is a very conscious decision on the part of the owners, and they reinforce this to anyone who tries to lay claim that the bar is one way or another.

Posted by: Josh | Oct 17, 2012 10:59:16 PM