Comments

1. jason says

The thing that makes me so angry is that the Democrats had a majority in Congress for at least a year but did NOTHING to enact ENDA. It’s disgraceful. Obama barely lifted a finger to help us. His inaction is equally disgraceful.

If the sticking point was something to do with trans-genders, I honestly don’t know why some in our community insisted on it. Trans-genders do not want to be thought of as gay. In some cases, trans-genders are homophobic.

2. Jason says

If the sticking point was something to do with gays, I honestly don’t know why some in our community insisted on it. Gays do not want to be thought of as Trans. In some cases, gays are transphobic.

3. Stuart says

Jason: It’s LGBT not just Gay. And No decent gay would detest any Trans anymore that he would detest you.

4. Stefan says

I agree that the first two years of Obama’s presidency were a huge wasted opportunity. He even had a super majority in the Senate for a good stretch of time. I understand that he had a desire to establish a bipartisan record, and that the country was facing a few major crises during that time. But when you have that kind of opportunity, you have to take it. Jason is right on that one point, though I disagree strongly about the idea that we should abandon transgender folk for political expediency (I’m pretty sure that the whole “we’d pass it if it weren’t for the trans provisions” line is just a cop out–an easy way to avoid tackling a basic human rights issue).

All that being said: that this representative made such a statement is GOOD. Republicans should be philosophically pro-LGBT rights, as statements like this demonstrate. One representative doesn’t make a huge difference, but I’m still happy to see it.

5. EchtKultig says

” He even had a super majority in the Senate for a good stretch of time.” He did not actually have a filibuster proof majority, Lieberman had become an “independent” (i.e., closeted Repub.) by that point, and loved sticking it to her former party.

6. Diogenes Arktos says

If we phrase his statement as “if you can work, you can work”, we have a parallel to sport’s “if you can play, you can play”. Perhaps this should be the start of another ad campaign.