2012 Election | News | Transgender

Voting While Trans: VIDEO

Mock

The National Center for Transgender Equality has created a resource site for the upcoming and future elections for trans people, pointing out some of the difficulties they face - being told they aren't who they say they are, being gawked at, and being asked for their "real" names.

The campaign also comes with a series of videos featuring NCTE Executive Director Mara Keisling, writer and advocate Janet Mock, actress Laverne Cox, poet Kit Yan, performance artist Ignacio Rivera, and Charles Meins, which point out that this election more than 25,000 trans people could lose their right to vote simply for being who they are.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It may be a less than optimal choice, but absentee ballots and early voting should also be considered.

Posted by: Charlie | Oct 3, 2012 4:05:32 PM

2. Well done!

Posted by: findessay.org | Oct 3, 2012 4:31:03 PM

3. loving this

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 3, 2012 4:34:05 PM

4. Just vote! This is the only thing that needs to be remembered. Besides, it is a great reason to be fashionable late to work or leave early.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Oct 3, 2012 5:05:38 PM

5. Being trans is not the same as being gay. Many trans people do NOT want to be thought of as gay. In a sense, trans people are homophobic.

I certainly don't want prejudice towards trans people being conflated with prejudice towards homosexuality. They are like chalk and cheese. I don't want to be a part of some phony victimhood coalition that conflates the two prejudices.

Posted by: jason | Oct 3, 2012 6:02:15 PM

6. What I hate most about trans people is that they tend to be really brave and live open lives and I can't do that myself. And whenever I see a trans person who is supported by people who aren't trans I get furious because there isn't a single non-gay person in my life that doesn't wish me dead.

Posted by: jason | Oct 3, 2012 6:08:09 PM

7. A better example of chalk and cheese would be an intelligent, compassionate person and Jason.

Posted by: ger | Oct 3, 2012 6:12:16 PM

8. Why would a male-to-female trans person be at a disadvantage? In fact, changing one's appearance to a woman puts one at an advantage. On the street, women are allowed to wear both dresses and trousers, men can wear only trousers. It's a double standard which women exploit.

Liberals have created a society where women are allowed certain privileges that men aren't. Male-to-female trans people exploit this double standard along with natural women.

Posted by: jason | Oct 3, 2012 6:28:23 PM

9. Basically, I'm angry at trans people because I really want to wear dresses.

Posted by: jason | Oct 3, 2012 6:33:36 PM

10. The Jason posting at 6:33:36 pm is not the Jason directly above him.

Posted by: jason | Oct 3, 2012 6:41:41 PM

11. They sound the same to me.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Oct 3, 2012 6:49:28 PM

12. If Jason insists on trolling, he's gonna be trolled in retaliation.

Posted by: MateoM | Oct 3, 2012 11:45:44 PM

13. This is great! Love Janet Mock.

Posted by: C | Oct 4, 2012 6:01:57 AM