News

BigGayDeal.com

'Why Are We Encouraging Deer To Cross At The Interstate?' AUDIO

Deercrossing

A North Dakota woman is clearly confused: she thinks that deer only cross the road where "deer crossing" signs have been placed and is concerned for their safety, so she called a local radio show to discuss this pressing issue. Either deer are really, really smart or…. well, I'll leave it that.

The radio host's response is, as it should be, "Are you kidding?"

Listen to her earnestly plead her case AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. i bet she is voting for mittens

Posted by: cape tom | Oct 18, 2012 10:52:23 AM

2. god I hope this is a radio punk...if not tie this womans tubes to prevent further spoiling of the gene pool..

Posted by: mikenola | Oct 18, 2012 10:55:16 AM

3. Dear human thingie: The deer cross at that particular spot because their ancestors have been doing it since before the first humanoids crossed the land-bridge from Russian to Sarah Palin's house to become the Native People of North America. Notice I didn't say native "inhabitants." Those would be the deer and their fellow fauna. Maybe the road should be moved. Maybe the deer crossing at that very point has ecological significance beyond human understanding.

Posted by: Michael Lassell | Oct 18, 2012 11:04:17 AM

4. I wonder how many DUIs she's gotten.

Posted by: John | Oct 18, 2012 11:08:36 AM

5. This is Michele Bachmann's base.

Posted by: Gigi | Oct 18, 2012 11:23:28 AM

6. @GiGi, I think I love you

Posted by: RONTEX | Oct 18, 2012 11:29:42 AM

7. WELL AT LEAST THEY ARE CROSSING INTELLIGENTLY AND NOT WIRED OR HOOKED UP TO SOME ELECTRONICS LIKE IPADS OR IPODS OR WHATEVER. CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I'VE SEEN THESE PEOPLE JUST WALK INTO THE STREET OBLIVIOUS TO THEIR SURROUNDINGS. EVEN SAW A WOMAN ON HER MOTORBYKE ON THE FREEWAY TEXTING AWAY. GOOD GOLLEY MISS MOLLEY. NAMASTE.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Oct 18, 2012 11:52:17 AM

8. Sounds like "The Best Show". Check it out online.

Posted by: anon | Oct 18, 2012 12:19:25 PM

9. Don't you understand, putting up deer crossing signs is just like sex education!

Once you give them information, it's bound to encourage them to do it! It makes perfect sense!

If you're a wingnut.

Posted by: F Young | Oct 18, 2012 12:26:41 PM

10. She sounds too well spoken to be that stupid. I'm sure it's a joke.

Posted by: henndog | Oct 18, 2012 12:29:20 PM

11. Heard this the other day on YouTube. She sounds serious but it has to be a joke. No one could be that stupid and not have gotten dead somehow at her age.

Posted by: John | Oct 18, 2012 12:32:15 PM

12. I don't think this is a joke. Absolutely not. As proof, read some anti-gay propaganda from the Religious Right. (ditto anti-feminism, anti-Islam etc.)

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 18, 2012 1:18:29 PM

13. I wonder if she was having that conversation with friends and they encouraged her to call in.

Posted by: Opinionated | Oct 18, 2012 2:06:26 PM

14. You think that's bad, you should try driving in the mountains. Why do they put up those signs encouraging rocks to fall on the road?! That could be dangerous!

Posted by: Todd | Oct 18, 2012 2:38:49 PM

15. This story has an update from the radio station. Donna the Deer Lady called back to discuss her call going viral: http://www.y94.com/y94-blog-details.php?ID=4128 . There's some 3m:53s of overview chatter prior to her actually speaking in the update.

Posted by: scarloat | Oct 18, 2012 2:58:34 PM

16. @ Todd: LOL. Thanks for making my day.

I have 3 ideas that might help this woman with her problem.
    1) Install "Leap/Don't Leap" signs in certain locations. Then have a button - possibly salt covered - that deer can push when they want to cross. 2) The deer should be instructed to look both ways and hold hands (hoofs?) while crossing. 3) Certain mature deer could be issued crossing guard signs and uniforms, in order to protect younger deer while they cross the street.

Seriously, deer crossing signs are placed in certain locations because deer usually follow the track of previous deer. They create a trail and then the other deer will follow that same route, establishing a pattern. Therefore, one can determine what areas will be mostly like for deer movement.

Posted by: gr8guya | Oct 18, 2012 3:09:50 PM

17. Oops...most likely.

Posted by: gr8guya | Oct 18, 2012 3:11:55 PM

18. There are so many deer now you can see them grazing by the side of the highway.

Posted by: anon | Oct 18, 2012 4:03:35 PM

19. Remember, this woman gets to vote in November.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Oct 18, 2012 6:27:54 PM

20. I must admit... I was totally laughing at her but after hearing her response, she took in very much in stride. I feel kind of bad that she's getting teased so much about it but again, she's taking it in stride and she's not letting it get to her too much. She even admits feeling dumb about it.

Posted by: Nat | Oct 18, 2012 7:06:48 PM

21. @GR8GuyA: That was a very thoughtful analysis with three good suggestions. However, wouldn't it be simpler to just put a black diagonal slash mark across the deer signs indicating that it is no longer allowed?

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Oct 18, 2012 11:16:27 PM

22. I also listened to the follow-up piece and now feel a little bad for thinking what I thought of her. It's still hard to think that a grown woman didn't understand this, but heck, when I was in grade school, I saw "NO OUTLET" signs on the street, and thought that the people on that block didn't have electricity because, well, they don't have any power outlets. :P

Posted by: Chris in Kansas | Oct 19, 2012 5:22:06 PM

23. This is like the people who are opposed to Daylight Savings Time because they don't think it's a good idea to add/remove sunlight to the planet.

Posted by: Book7 | Oct 19, 2012 5:46:01 PM

24. This is like the people who are opposed to Daylight Savings Time because they don't think it's a good idea to add/remove sunlight to the planet.

Posted by: Book7 | Oct 19, 2012 5:46:01 PM