Deaths | New York | News

Activist and Author Brandon Lacy Campos Found Dead in NYC

CamposActivist, poet and author Brandon Lacy Campos was found dead in his apartment in NYC, Rod 2.0 reports:

Campos was the co-executive director of Queers for Economic Justice and a prominent figure within the nation's social activist and "artivist" communities. He was also a prolific blogger, social media personality, poet and author. Brandon Campos was the author of the poetry collection It Ain't Truth If It Doesn't Hurt. Campos was also a contributor to the critically-acclaimed 2011 anthology From Macho to Mariposa: New Gay Latino Fiction.

Campos also wrote candidly about living with HIV:

"I am living this life as lovingly as I can be as flawed as I am," Campos reportedly said in one of his last Facebook messages. "My saving grace is that the God in which I believe has sent me more love than I Could believe my due and that love I have been able to share to u. To u amor."

Campos also wrote for The Body, an HIV/AIDS resource. His last entry was a week ago, called Why Voting Matters: Barack Obama, I Got You. The website published a tribute to Campos on its site yesterday.

Campos' body was discovered by his father. He was just 35. More on Campos and his life, as well as reactions from people who knew him, at Rod 2.0.

Comments

1. is the cause of death known?

Posted by: t | Nov 12, 2012 7:48:19 AM

2. How did he die? This story and others don't mention it.

Posted by: Tristy | Nov 12, 2012 7:54:30 AM

3. Is this another one of those "heart failure" deaths?

Posted by: David | Nov 12, 2012 8:33:54 AM

4. Sad loss - I was fortunate to work with Brandon on a project. He was driven by passion and filled with light. He will be missed.

Posted by: Jason | Nov 12, 2012 9:55:50 AM

5. David, with all due respect - please don't diminish his loss with your callous comment.

Posted by: Jason | Nov 12, 2012 10:12:53 AM

6. This. Is. Sad. Very, very sad. There wasn't a sweeter man than he. God rest his soul. Condolences to family and friends. Just. Sad.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 12, 2012 11:39:51 AM

7. RIP

And another reminder of how mortal we all are. Everything will end in an instant for all of us. Stay true to the things that really matter in this life.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 12, 2012 2:57:59 PM

8. I'm sorry, but the photo -- with the shirt that doesn't fit and the big muscles -- makes it look like steroid use.

Posted by: David | Nov 12, 2012 3:49:02 PM

9. Ignoring David's insensitive comment, RIP Brandon and my heart goes out to his loved ones.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 12, 2012 3:58:54 PM

10. Who cares how died! He was a spirit/soul and did great things. Sorry he left this earth too early. Sounds like he left a great legacy and his friends, family and the GLBT community should be proud of that.

Posted by: FunMe | Nov 12, 2012 8:30:15 PM

11. He was a great men of his endeavor as an environmental advocate. I hope his soul rest in peace.

Posted by: Connie Villegas | Nov 13, 2012 12:56:11 AM

12. We have to care how he died because all too often they die from things that could have been avoided. If this death came as no fault of his own then I truly am sorry for him but people ask because it is helpful to understand why something like this happens. If the death was caused by things within his control (drugs, steroids, suicide) it doesn't diminish the sadness involved it just makes it clearer the path his life took.

Posted by: JohnD | Nov 13, 2012 1:43:18 AM

13. I'm afraid I agree with JOHND. But I feel no need to know.

Posted by: scotsyank | Nov 13, 2012 6:33:45 PM

14. David, the pic that fuels your innuendo shows a fit man well within the bounds of normal size...the shirt is intentionally tight. gossip may indeed emerge from a need to form social bonds, but some gossip does this via disingenuous malice. check yourself.

Posted by: Jeton Ademaj | Nov 13, 2012 6:46:19 PM

15. I must agree that, in the case of our amazing, talented departed soul Brandon, the cause of death is important to know and to share. He went to great lengths to share his life struggles with us, and was painfully honest about race, gay life, his HIV and his drug addiction. To wallpaper over the cause of death because it might somehow diminish his life seems to miss the point -- his point -- entirely.

Those of us in recovery have a saying, "we are as sick as our secrets." However Brandon died, it should be known, shared, and discussed openly, because Brandon was a great teacher and he might have one more important lesson for us all.

Mark
    MyFabulousDisease.com

Posted by: Mark S. King | Nov 15, 2012 12:57:51 PM

16. Hey, you gossiping and insensitive clods, how about waiting for an autopsy or toxicology report before jumping to your typical mincing conclusions?

Posted by: Divine Grace | Nov 17, 2012 6:12:37 PM

17. Who cares? He was GAY. HE died of being gay....sad, diseased, druged out, souless, liberal and welfare luving homo.

Posted by: tonya | Nov 21, 2012 11:21:57 PM

18. Tonya, there's a full bottle of hooch with your name on it over there, just inside the intake of that wood chipper. bottom's up! ;-)

Posted by: Jeton Ademaj | Dec 2, 2012 3:51:51 PM

19. Poor Tonya, sad victim of inbreeding. Back to your father husband dear, time for your beating.
    But back to topic, curiosity about how this special man died isn't just idle or prurient - if there's someone victimising gay men the community needs to know...

Posted by: Warren H | Dec 8, 2012 10:42:50 PM