Cleveland Browns Says It Has ‘Made Very Clear’ to Tank Carder That They Don’t Condone the Word ‘Faggot’

Yesterday I posted a flurry of tweets from Cleveland Browns linebacker Tank Carder in which he used the word "faggot" in an exchange with another user and followed it up with several non-apologies and this statement:

Tank_carder"I don't agree with being gay or lesbian at all, but saying faggot doesn't make me a homophobe, it's just a word."

Today, the Cleveland Browns issued a statement:

"These comments are certainly not reflective of the Cleveland Browns organization, nor do we condone them in any fashion. We have spoken with Tank and have made this very clear to him."

And Carder has issued yet another non-apology on Twitter:

"I was not bashing the gay community in any way…if you knew me you would know I wouldn't do that. Again I'm sorry if you were offended"

Writes Outsports of the Browns' statement: "I assume the Browns and the NFL don’t believe that’s the end of it. A statement from the Browns is a good start, not the end of this."

PREVIOUSLY…
Browns Linebacker Tank Carder Calls Someone a 'Faggot' on Twitter, Doesn't Agree with Being Gay, Apologizes [tlrd]

Comments

1. Gast says

“I was not bashing the gay community in any way…if you knew me you would know I wouldn’t do that.”

Clearly the “faggot” expression came from somewhere within himself. He needs to take a look inside and determine why he felt compelled to use derogatory language against us.

2. says

And you are a hate filled bigot and no, I don’t care IF I offended your Neanderthal community.

And , Tank, “agreeing” with being gay or lesbian makes no sense whatever; who’s asking you to agree ? I guess you don’t agree that the world is not flat or that outside Cleveland there are people who think you’re a turd.

3. says

well, his use of “faggot” followed by, uh, that odd lil’comment ’bout gays and lesbians makes it clear what his true colours are.

and they be ugggly.

see also: the post-election tweets from racists dropping N-bombs and then saying “but i aint racist!”

4. Ricco says

What is it with these macho-tough-man jocks that are such huge pu**ies that they can’t even man up and give a real apology?

I’ve known some real effeminate men who knew more about being a man than these little boys in men’s bodies.

5. tom says

“I’m sorry if anyone was offended” – This is my most hated over-used quote in the English language. Along with “It is what it is” – both meaningless. He is cute, though.

6. Francis says

They can’t give a real apology because they’re usually not actually sorry and have been told to apologize by their agent, or after backlash. They’re not sorry, and in this case, Tank clearly isn’t at all sorry for what he said. Tank Carder is another garden variety redneck homophobe. Good to see the Browns organization on top of the situation, but a statement isn’t enough. Action needs to be taken here.

You would think, after we’ve seen players like Yunel Escobar, Kobe Bryant, Marc Burch, punished harshly for their anti-gay slurs/actions, that athletes would know better than to continue to make homophobic comments. You would think their agents, their PR people, would make sure they don’t say something anti-gay, given the fact, finally, homophobic comments are being called out and admonished. But they don’t know any better. Homophobia is still alive and well in the sports world.

7. says

JackFknTwist, there are plenty of people IN Cleveland who think this clown is a turd. Tank needs to have a good long talk with Scott Fujita. But before that, Tank needs to be suspended.

8. THE QUEEN says

GOD! HE IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I DON’T CARE WHAT HE CALLS ME. I SHALL LICK THE SWEAT OFF OF HIS STINKY BALLS ANY OLD DAY

(says THE QUEEN as she sinks to her knees in abject adoration)

9. Paul R says

Obviously homophobic people in nearly any field, but especially athletics, are rich and stupid and likely either spend a lot of time in some awful church or do a ton of drugs. Those are their decisions—I couldn’t care less—but they do need better PR people. But football requires getting hit in the head a lot, so it’s not a big surprise.

And no, he’s not cute.

10. Tony says

I’m sick of these silly apologies. He should stand by his words and let whoever is mad be mad. It’s not like he used that language during a game. It was on his own Twitter account. I guess that’s just the price you pay when you’re a celebrity, but IRL non-celebrities who tweet the word “faggot”, or make unfriendly comments towards gays don’t apologize for it, even when they’re taken to task. Making celebrities do it seems disingenuous; like the media is trying to forge this perception that homophobia no longer exists — or if it does, the perpetrator is quickly reformed and see’s the light. So many gays buys into this phony friendliness, thinking that homophobia is basically over…and then are dumbfounded when stories of gay-bashing (like that lesbian at Thanksgiving), countries advocating prison/death to its gay citizens (like Uganda) and gay teen suicide still happen.

It’s what I HATE about the media and corporate business world. It’s causing people to put their heads in the cloud and let down their guard. The reality is that not everyone is going to like you and most of the time those who don’t make no apologies for it, no matter how superficial their reasons may be.

11. Tim NC says

@Jacques…. this would be even better….

I am truly sorry and ashamed for making an offensive statement.

There is no need to quantify how many people may or may not have been offended. The statement was offensive whether anyone was offended by it or not.

12. Francis says

I agree, Tony. I hate the apologies too. Because it’s not sincere, and as you said, it doesn’t at all change what was said and why it was said. The fact these incidents keep happening says enough. Say what you say, stand behind it, and let the people power take over. I disagree, though, that people in RL don’t stop using gay slurs when taken to task. In fact, I know from personal knowledge they will. Because they don’t want to be seen as a bigot. So they stop using such slurs when they know others will be offended. We’ve gotten to the point where homophobia is socially looked down upon so people go out of their way to avoid being seen as such, but underneath the surface, those anti-gay attitudes are still there.

Apologies mean nothing, I want to see consequences. Punishment. That’s literally the only deterrent.

13. Mike says

“Love ’em . . .” And ” . . .a little dumb ain’t too bad either.” God Craig the jerk is a total idiot who looks the part. The twit could not tell s*** from pure mountain honey!

14. Peter M. says

“I was not bashing the gay community in any way…” No, of course not. He just doesn’t agree with the way gay people are born and fa***t is just a word he uses whenever he feels like it.

What an ignorant assclown.

15. Peter M. says

What an ignorant assclown.

16. EchtKultig says

Apparently, this doesn’t even warrant a slap on the wrist. That being said, I’ve wondered if getting worked up about these tantrums on the part of “pro” players has much ROI for the gay community.
    Some people have joked that he’s probably closeted. He may be closeted, or he may not be. But it takes someone with a completely moronic understanding of language not to see how “incriminating” a statement like “I don’t agree with being gay or lesbian at all.” (Of course his understanding of many things besides football is probably moronic.) Did he or a loved one have a moment when Jebus told them not to agree with it? As I’ve said before, internalized homophobic defines the American Evangelical community. Maybe this guy’s mom is a closeted lesbian and only some of her kids inherited “teh gay”, but look deep enough in any family attracted to this nonsense and you’ll find a crazy closet case SOMEWHERE. That’s why they are so terrified of gay rights. One of their biggest recruitment and money-making incentives – “we’ll help you pray away the gay, suckers” – will vanish as society stops giving a f-ck about people being gay.

17. XoMoDe says

@R
    Racism and homophobia are nowhere near being the same thing.

If he doesn’t agree with homosexuality, then he doesn’t agree with it. Not everyone has to condone it.

18. GregV says

“Racism and homophobia are nowhere near being the same thing.”

@Xomode: Bigotry is bigotry. Whether he “disagrees” with someone else being black or with their being left-handed or with their being gay, the sentiment is the same and is based on ignorance.
    The racists who fought to keep blacks away from their water fountains, restaurants, voting boohs and marriage licenses in the 60’s used a type of reasoning that was identical in style to what those same (now much older) people and some of their brainwashed kids and grandkids now use to justify the anti-gay policies they push for.

19. EchtKultig says

Where do these moronic trolls come from? Do sports sites link to this blog?

WTF does “agree” with mean in this context? I hate yappy little dogs. That doesn’t mean I don’t “agree with” them. Even racists have the critical reasoning to present their hatred in a way that makes sense. They don’t say “I don’t agree with blacks” they say “I hate blacks”.

“Agree with” implies some kind of question was posed. But what was the question? A hot guy in the locker room almost gave him a boner when he was in HS, but he didn’t “agree with it” so he prayed to Jeebus to make it go away?

As I’ve said, the plurality of the anti-gay are closet cases. A lesser portion of them believe someone who abused them was “gay” even though the vast majority of people who abuse children identify as straight. A still smaller portion are just plain psychopaths, like Fred Phelps. There can be co-morbidity: Fred could be a closet case but I’m not as convinced about it as I am with the so-called “ex-gay” loonies. In any case, he is obviously an attention seeking psychopath.
    I’m not sure this guy is actually in that category of being vehemently anti-gay, or if he’s just a dumbass who was annoyed he couldn’t use his favorite slur from his teenage years anymore, and then tried to stupidly defend himself. In any case, it’s a tempest in a teapot. Some people in professional sports have neanderthalic attitudes about sexuality, some do not. Going to “Texas Christian University” (a bit of an oxymoron) is probably a sign one is in the former category. When I googled him, google helpfully pulled up a peer of his: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Pachall Endangering other drivers by driving with a 0.17% BAC level. How very Christian of him.

Anti-discrimination laws, school anti-bullying initiatives, the repeal of DADT, etc. are going to have far more of an effect than policing the speech of people who run into other people and throw balls for a living.

20. Diogenes Arktos says

Non-apology apologies are from those who are made to apologize when they don’t know what they did wrong. Given that he attended Texas Christian University, I’m sure he has no clue.

While some of us complained that TR needed to pick a better picture of Chris Kluwe than the usual one they were overusing, this one of Carder is too good – I’ve usually seen much worse of him.

@Echtkultig: “Anti-discrimination laws,…” will not have much impact for the foreseeable future. The amount of racist commentary I still hear is unacceptable – at best it has gone underground. Homophobia will take far longer:(

21. EchtKultig says

I disagree Diogenes. Sure, the desegregation of the South took well over a generation to really start to sink in, and is only slowly oozing into the real backwaters of the deep South. But, basically, a generation of whites has grown up much less racist than they otherwise would have. Change has to start _somewhere_, and laws ARE a good place for that change to start. I bet most of the outright racists trolls you see on youtube (and the homophobic ones) are > 40. I do sometimes think we get a bit ahead of ourselves. Social change should happen faster in the age of twitter and youtube, and it does. But it’s inherently a slow process. Truman desegregated the military in 1948…and in some ways we’re just a little beyond that in terms of gay rights…but moving faster: the recent referendums were a huge watershed. Nov 7 2012 was one of the greatest dates in the history of gay rights, clearly.