Football (American) | Gay Slurs | News | Sports | Tank Carder

BigGayDeal.com

Cleveland Browns Says It Has 'Made Very Clear' to Tank Carder That They Don't Condone the Word 'Faggot'

Yesterday I posted a flurry of tweets from Cleveland Browns linebacker Tank Carder in which he used the word "faggot" in an exchange with another user and followed it up with several non-apologies and this statement:

Tank_carder"I don't agree with being gay or lesbian at all, but saying faggot doesn't make me a homophobe, it's just a word."

Today, the Cleveland Browns issued a statement:

"These comments are certainly not reflective of the Cleveland Browns organization, nor do we condone them in any fashion. We have spoken with Tank and have made this very clear to him."

And Carder has issued yet another non-apology on Twitter:

"I was not bashing the gay community in any way...if you knew me you would know I wouldn't do that. Again I'm sorry if you were offended"

Writes Outsports of the Browns' statement: "I assume the Browns and the NFL don’t believe that’s the end of it. A statement from the Browns is a good start, not the end of this."

PREVIOUSLY...
Browns Linebacker Tank Carder Calls Someone a 'Faggot' on Twitter, Doesn't Agree with Being Gay, Apologizes [tlrd]

Comments

1. "I was not bashing the gay community in any way..." No, of course not. He just doesn't agree with the way gay people are born and fa***t is just a word he uses whenever he feels like it.

What an ignorant assclown.

Posted by: Peter M. | Nov 27, 2012 5:15:23 PM

2. f this guy.. he should get fired. I would if i used racist remarks at work.

Posted by: R | Nov 27, 2012 7:50:53 PM

3. I would like to him to explain, in clear detail, the meaning of his "I don't agree" comment.

Posted by: quarterback | Nov 27, 2012 8:48:13 PM

4. Apparently, this doesn't even warrant a slap on the wrist. That being said, I've wondered if getting worked up about these tantrums on the part of "pro" players has much ROI for the gay community.
    Some people have joked that he's probably closeted. He may be closeted, or he may not be. But it takes someone with a completely moronic understanding of language not to see how "incriminating" a statement like "I don't agree with being gay or lesbian at all." (Of course his understanding of many things besides football is probably moronic.) Did he or a loved one have a moment when Jebus told them not to agree with it? As I've said before, internalized homophobic defines the American Evangelical community. Maybe this guy's mom is a closeted lesbian and only some of her kids inherited "teh gay", but look deep enough in any family attracted to this nonsense and you'll find a crazy closet case SOMEWHERE. That's why they are so terrified of gay rights. One of their biggest recruitment and money-making incentives - "we'll help you pray away the gay, suckers" - will vanish as society stops giving a f-ck about people being gay.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 27, 2012 8:51:45 PM

5. @R
    Racism and homophobia are nowhere near being the same thing.

If he doesn't agree with homosexuality, then he doesn't agree with it. Not everyone has to condone it.

Posted by: XoMoDe | Nov 27, 2012 10:05:12 PM

6. "Racism and homophobia are nowhere near being the same thing."

@Xomode: Bigotry is bigotry. Whether he "disagrees" with someone else being black or with their being left-handed or with their being gay, the sentiment is the same and is based on ignorance.
    The racists who fought to keep blacks away from their water fountains, restaurants, voting boohs and marriage licenses in the 60's used a type of reasoning that was identical in style to what those same (now much older) people and some of their brainwashed kids and grandkids now use to justify the anti-gay policies they push for.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 27, 2012 10:50:46 PM

7. Where do these moronic trolls come from? Do sports sites link to this blog?

WTF does "agree" with mean in this context? I hate yappy little dogs. That doesn't mean I don't "agree with" them. Even racists have the critical reasoning to present their hatred in a way that makes sense. They don't say "I don't agree with blacks" they say "I hate blacks".

"Agree with" implies some kind of question was posed. But what was the question? A hot guy in the locker room almost gave him a boner when he was in HS, but he didn't "agree with it" so he prayed to Jeebus to make it go away?

As I've said, the plurality of the anti-gay are closet cases. A lesser portion of them believe someone who abused them was "gay" even though the vast majority of people who abuse children identify as straight. A still smaller portion are just plain psychopaths, like Fred Phelps. There can be co-morbidity: Fred could be a closet case but I'm not as convinced about it as I am with the so-called "ex-gay" loonies. In any case, he is obviously an attention seeking psychopath.
    I'm not sure this guy is actually in that category of being vehemently anti-gay, or if he's just a dumbass who was annoyed he couldn't use his favorite slur from his teenage years anymore, and then tried to stupidly defend himself. In any case, it's a tempest in a teapot. Some people in professional sports have neanderthalic attitudes about sexuality, some do not. Going to "Texas Christian University" (a bit of an oxymoron) is probably a sign one is in the former category. When I googled him, google helpfully pulled up a peer of his: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Pachall Endangering other drivers by driving with a 0.17% BAC level. How very Christian of him.

Anti-discrimination laws, school anti-bullying initiatives, the repeal of DADT, etc. are going to have far more of an effect than policing the speech of people who run into other people and throw balls for a living.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 27, 2012 11:16:47 PM

8. Non-apology apologies are from those who are made to apologize when they don't know what they did wrong. Given that he attended Texas Christian University, I'm sure he has no clue.

While some of us complained that TR needed to pick a better picture of Chris Kluwe than the usual one they were overusing, this one of Carder is too good - I've usually seen much worse of him.

@Echtkultig: "Anti-discrimination laws,..." will not have much impact for the foreseeable future. The amount of racist commentary I still hear is unacceptable - at best it has gone underground. Homophobia will take far longer:(

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 27, 2012 11:32:33 PM

9. I disagree Diogenes. Sure, the desegregation of the South took well over a generation to really start to sink in, and is only slowly oozing into the real backwaters of the deep South. But, basically, a generation of whites has grown up much less racist than they otherwise would have. Change has to start _somewhere_, and laws ARE a good place for that change to start. I bet most of the outright racists trolls you see on youtube (and the homophobic ones) are > 40. I do sometimes think we get a bit ahead of ourselves. Social change should happen faster in the age of twitter and youtube, and it does. But it's inherently a slow process. Truman desegregated the military in 1948...and in some ways we're just a little beyond that in terms of gay rights...but moving faster: the recent referendums were a huge watershed. Nov 7 2012 was one of the greatest dates in the history of gay rights, clearly.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 28, 2012 12:18:41 AM