News | The Outs

The Episode 6 Finale of 'The Outs' is Here, Plus a Brief Talk with Creator Adam Goldman: VIDEO

Outs

"Significant Others", the final episode in The Outs, Adam Goldman's web series about gay life in NYC, has hit the web.

If you haven't been following this six-episode, Kickstarter-funded serial, here are Episode 1, Episode 2Episode 3, Episode 4, and Episode 5 which you may want to watch first.

Watch Episode 6, AFTER THE JUMP...

GoldmanI spoke with Goldman today and asked him a few questions, which he kindly answered.

What's next for the series?

"We'll be shooting The Outs Chanukah Special over the next few months, which will be sort of a capstone on the series. It'll let us check in on the characters a little ways down the line, revisit some things and tie up a few loose ends. We also have an event at the Brooklyn Museum on the horizon for early next year and we'll be talking more about that in the near future."

I also asked if he had entertained any offers for the series from television networks, what's next on his plate, and what, if any, surprises he encountered filming his first web series:

I think one thing I've learned in making the show - and you can file this under biggest surprise, too - is that people really want something like this, and they're not getting it anywhere else. When we started, we didn't know if we'd be able to make more than just our first episode, both for financial reasons and because we weren't sure if anyone would be interested in the story we wanted to tell.

I think it's about time that something like The Outs found its way onto television. If it's not us, it'll be someone else, and since we're already in this space and doing something that people are responding to, we would obviously be happy (and honored) to be the people telling this story to a television audience.

There are other projects that we (myself and the Outs creative team) are discussing at the moment. I'm writing a pilot (for TV) and there are a couple of web-based projects in the works that we'd like to develop. Staying online allows a lot of versatility in terms of content/format that you don't get in other mediums and that's very appealing, even if nobody has figured out how to make a living staying online just yet.

Watch Episode 6, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Outs: Significant Others from The Outs on Vimeo.

Comments

1. a great finale to an incredible series

Posted by: DL | Nov 20, 2012 7:57:53 PM

2. Beautifully done. Bravo!

Posted by: JohnInGa | Nov 20, 2012 8:15:47 PM

3. this is great, great stuff...beautifully done...more MORE!

Posted by: Jim Kelly-Evans | Nov 20, 2012 8:20:14 PM

4. I am really gonna miss this series! It was such a wonderfully written story.
    But I also feel that there is a lot of story to tell still left.

Posted by: Mercedes | Nov 20, 2012 8:28:25 PM

5. Lovely.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 20, 2012 8:52:25 PM

6. I'm kind of sad to see it end so soon. I did think the show had potential, and there were genuinely heartfelt as well as funny moments. My only complaint is that the characters sometimes felt like extensions of the writer (Goldman)... they all sounded like him! You can particularly notice this in Episode 5. He needs to learn to listen to others and try to express points of view as people from different backgrounds would

For the record I did like the show, and I think Goldman has a bright future ahead of him. Hopefully it's not the end for The Outs beyond the Chanukah special. Good luck to him and his cast and crew.

Posted by: stranded | Nov 20, 2012 8:57:42 PM

7. Thanks for the shows guys and girls, hope to see you all again. Your shows had a nice feel about it.

Posted by: Tony | Nov 20, 2012 9:57:31 PM

8. Extraordinary on every level. The acting is such a pleasure to watch. Very knowing understanding of each of the characters. Thanks to all who brought it to us. I hope for you much success.

Posted by: stranded | Nov 20, 2012 11:03:27 PM

9. I must be crazy because I think this whole series of videos stinks to high heaven. The acting is horrible. The plot line just as bad. Yet I read others here who proclaim it to be fabulous! Lovely! Extradorinary!

Seriously guys? Are any of you over 18?

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 20, 2012 11:27:46 PM

10. From Out 1 to Out 6, these guys have really grown their talent, all around.

For the record, I do appreciate more skin than we got in 6, but still a huge fan. :)

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Nov 20, 2012 11:32:51 PM

11. What OS2 said. This whole series reeks and smells and stinks. It's garbage.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 21, 2012 12:21:39 AM

12. Congrats to OS2GUY and UFFDA for having opions opposite to the majority of viewers of The Outs.
    Your prizes are on their way.

Posted by: Blake | Nov 21, 2012 1:21:16 AM

13. I will miss this show, but I look forward to what comes next from all those involved in The Outs.

I hope to see a lot more of Hunter Canning and Tommy Heleringer in the future, whether it is in more of Adam Goldman's work or in other projects.

Posted by: Blake | Nov 21, 2012 1:26:22 AM

14. Correct me if I am wrong, but Queer as Folk and The L Word must of had an "acceptable" number of viewers, considering they lasted five and six seasons respectably and during the Bush era no less.

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 21, 2012 1:42:03 AM

15. I really loved the show. Independently financed? Fantastic! Can't wait for more.

To the spammers who hated the whole series... why did you watch the whole series? The run was consistent. If you didn't like it by the third or fourth, who's the fool for wasting any more time on it? I guess someone had to take the time to watch something they hated, then spend more time reading an article about it, then spent more time posting snarky comments about it. Oh yeah... it's the internet. Can't wait to read your comments regarding your continued hate for any forthcoming episodes you spend time watching.

Posted by: JimmyD | Nov 21, 2012 8:04:05 AM

16. Really.

This has got to be one of the worst acted badly written gay themed, whatever you want to call this, I've ever seen.

My conclusion is that the previous commenters are either friends of the participants or have had very little exposure to the arts.....or reality.

Perhaps it is just the inexperience of youth...

I really tried

Posted by: Pinky | Nov 21, 2012 8:12:50 AM

17. Excellent shows, I have patiently waited for and enjoyed every single episode. Congrats to all involved with this series. I have said this before in the comments -- that it is the tempo, character developments and realness of the OUTS that I enjoy most. Good work, Adam. I would love to see more of the OUTS, but look forward to whatever your next endeavor might be.

Posted by: Danny T | Nov 21, 2012 8:21:40 AM

18. BLAKE - put Pinky and me on the awards list as well. Do we really get something special for having critical faculties?

Posted by: MAJORITY | Nov 21, 2012 8:21:43 AM

19. It's definitely true that people are hungry for quality shows like this. It has been magnificent. (But, yes, part 6 could have used more skin ;>)

Posted by: Ken | Nov 21, 2012 8:34:51 AM

20. @Pinky, I wouldn't say it is the worst. The acting was not bad, I have seen lots of experimental and independent work so, in many cases, it ranked better than a lot of the stuff out there. I guess I couldn't get into the story. I really tried liking this show too, given what people were saying about it. I found I was not really caring about any of the characters. I watched everything up until about episode 4 and wasn't interested in going further. Can't quite put my finger on it what it is... maybe I'll have another look.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Nov 21, 2012 8:42:25 AM

21. kudos to them for putting their own show together, and getting off their butts to actually create something, rather than do what Miserable Anonymous Trolls do, which is anonymously complain that others aren't creating what you (claim) you'd create if you had the ability to create something.

;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 21, 2012 9:40:33 AM

22. I run into these guys filming all the time, it's literally outside my door sometimes. I have awkwardly and embarrassingly swooned and gushed over Adam and Hunter. It is so awesome to see that Adam will continue to make shows because I definitely said several times "PLEASE DON'T STOP MAKING SHOWS." Every time I see them now I feel like a mix between a cheerleader and stalker, and that is probably 100% true.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 21, 2012 9:47:00 AM

23. This was a really sweet ending to a very pleasurable series. To those who don't like it, well, yes--it isn't Tolstoy. But for something independently written, financed, and produced, it's exceptionally well-done.

I say to those who hated it--show those of us who have questionable taste, just what high art should be. Go out, finance, write, and produce the kind of thing you think isn't garbage. Show us what you've got, if you have the courage.

But you don't. It's easier to take potshots at people who are doing something creative and showing it to the world, than to actually be creative and be brave enough to put your work out there. Deep down you'd be too wounded by the negative comments.

Posted by: kdknyc | Nov 21, 2012 10:43:34 AM

24. To comment on the whole series in general;

I think there was great character study potential. Some of it succeeds, and others fail miserably. It's difficult keeping track of the characters because they are mostly the same - jaded, cynical, self-centred, bitchy has-beens. Real, and rare moments of romance are painfully under-developed.

Coming from a technical viewpoint, a lot of the photography is point-and-shoot ugly, and technical errors (lighting, focus-pulls) are jarring distractions, especially when the performances would otherwise be quite charming.

Bottom line; if the series were given a proper crew and budget, it would reach far higher levels.I look forward to that day. Keep at it Mr Goldman.

Posted by: Zoltan | Nov 21, 2012 11:44:53 AM

25. I don't like the "we're all soooo over smoking pot" bit. They portray pot smokers, and especially dealers, as immature, unsophisticated, and (above all) passe. Well that's great they're all 'too cool' for pot, but maybe they should stop getting so effing drunk and screwing up their lives. That kind of holier-than-thou, judgy attitude is a transparent attempt assuage their own insecurities --- and while that *is* a realistic portrayal of some 'hip' social scenes in NYC, maybe they shouldn't be propagating such ignorant attitudes if they want to be seen as such keen social observers and trendsetters. They should be criticizing stop-and-frisk, not people who have a dime-bag on them.

Sick of it.

Other than that, I hope they get picked up for a series or something. I really care about the characters.

Posted by: KyleC | Nov 22, 2012 4:02:26 PM