FOX News | News | Ohio | Rachel Maddow

Fox Reporter Apologizes For Calling Rachel Maddow 'Angry Young Man'

Cta_triciamackie

Tricia Macke, a Fox reporter in Cincinnati, Ohio, has apologized for called MSNBC host Rachel Maddow "an angry young man" on Facebook.

The remark itself caused an immediate flurry on Macke's Facebook page, with friends and fans alike wagging a finger at the anchor, criticism that only strengthened Macke's resolve. "I'm sorry," she wrote to one critic. "I should have said antagonistic."

Macke may have found it funny at the time, but she changed her tune yesterday after GLAAD, Equality Ohio other LGBT rights groups brought national attention and shame to both Macke and her bosses at Fox 19. And, yes, both have offered contrition.

Following a note from management on Fox 19's Facebook page in which they apologized for Macke's remarks, the reporter herself called the comments "insensitive and inappropriate." She went on, "I apologize to Ms. Maddow and any others who may have been offended by my comments, as they do not reflect my firm beliefs in individual and equal rights, and they certainly do not represent the opinions or position of my employer WXIX-TV."

No word on whether Maddow has accepted the apology or even cares.

I've included a screenshot of Macke's anti-Maddow Facebook feed AFTER THE JUMP.

MackieMaddow

Comments

1. Tricia Macke seems to be very typical of women who use homophobic or gender-based slurs when it suits them. This is one of the reasons why I think we should be very wary of women who are not a part of the gay community. Many of these women hide their homophobia in the same way they hide their facial flaws with make-up. When it suits them, they can be very overtly homophobic.

Perhaps the real error of judgment on Tricia's part is the fact that she works for Pox - er, Fox.

Posted by: jason | Nov 10, 2012 8:03:37 AM

2. No Jason, she doesn't seem typical of women who use homophobic slurs. She is a woman who uses homophobic slurs. She doesn't represent her sex or anything else, she's just a stupid bigot, just like millions of other Americans of every sex, race, creed etc etc. Do you not see the hundreds of posts of men saying equally stupid stuff? Why does the picture of a woman set you off so much? It's particularly mysterious because up until recently another pet project of yours was trying to convince the world that we were all bisexual. So if you were bisexual, I guess you like sleeping with women but can't stand when they open their mouths? You're just so creepy on so many levels.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 10, 2012 8:13:52 AM

3. Brian,

It's because the gay community often protects women from criticism so as not to break up the liberal coalition. Criticism of women is muted to preserve the coalition, even if it means harming the rigts of gay people. Well, I'm sick of this PC nonsense.

I will call out women where appropriate. Keep in mind that women wear a lot of make-up whereas men don't. Make-up hides. It's a metaphor for women in general - ie they hide their homophobia until the time it suits them. Then their claws come out.

Posted by: jason | Nov 10, 2012 8:43:39 AM

4. "as they do not reflect my firm beliefs in individual and equal rights,"

Yet another passive apology - "The words just happened! They don't reflect who I really am! I'm really a good person, it's the words that somehow emerged from my typing fingers that are bad."

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Nov 10, 2012 8:43:43 AM

5. Why are these apologies always issued to only "those who may have been offended"?

Why not apologize to EVERYONE whether you think they may or may not have found your statement offensive?

Better yet, why not just apologize for your offensive remark?

She acts like if the only people who read the statement weren't offended by it, then it wouldn't have been offensive.

Posted by: Tim NC | Nov 10, 2012 8:56:09 AM

6. I don't often side with Jason, but in this case there is a kernel of truth in what he is saying. America's national discourse is replete with examples of women disrespecting gay and bisexual men, and yet at the same time, feeling that women should be exempt from disrespect themselves. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, n'est-ce pas? Sample dialogue with no double standards:

"Don't call me a lousey f*g, you ignorant c*nt?"

From Andrew Belonsky's post, it seems clear that Tricia Macke would call Towleroad readers "f*gs" with no hesitation, thus revealing herself as an ignorant c*nt. No double standards, and welcome to the 21st century. If anyone is nostalgic for the days when "f*g" was considered acceptable but "c*nt" was considered unacceptable, good luck finding that time machine to take you back to the 20th century.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Nov 10, 2012 9:01:23 AM

7. Have you ever met an extremely fake looking blonde who wasn't homophobic?

Posted by: SpunkyBunks | Nov 10, 2012 9:49:07 AM

8. The "angry" is much farther off than the "young man" description. Rachel doesn't seem angry at all--clearly she loves politics, and clearly she's been gleefully relishing the Republican meltdown. The angry ones are all the FOX bimbos who were just so sure Mittens would win in a landslide. Maybe Tricia meant to say articulate, or brilliant?

And Tricia can probably rest assured that Rachel couldn't care less what she's putting on her little Facebook page.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 10, 2012 9:54:27 AM

9. Her apology reads: "I am sorry you didn't like what I said" and that's about it. My favorite thing to do when I read revolting comments on FB, is to visit their page and get a glimpse as to whom these people are. Visit her page. Very telling.

Posted by: chaszle | Nov 10, 2012 10:00:49 AM

10. "No word on whether Maddow has accepted the apology or even cares." While that might be true Andy, Macke's comment and her refusal to walk it back - when challenged she said "I knew what I was saying Roger..." - only underscores the point that many in the U.S. don't know the difference between free speech and stupid speech. I know I'm singing to the choir here but it bothers me that people like her don't seen to get it until there's the possibility that it might affect their employment opportunities, then they're contrite. What makes the sting of such things a little less painful is that now, when people say hateful and homophobic things such as this, many are quick to condemn. When I was a kid (not that long ago), no one would have said a thing. Most likely they would have LOL'd.

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 10, 2012 10:02:21 AM

11. Looks like somebody is angling for a fill in spot on Fox & Friends.

Posted by: Kenn | Nov 10, 2012 10:04:02 AM

12. @Artie,

I agree the woman is awful, but I definitely don't see anything like the rampant homophobia among all women that Jason constantly harps on about. this woman is a piece of trash, but it has nothing to do with other women. That's my perpetual beef with jason, anytime there is a woman, or someone from another country, or countless other hangups Jason has, he shoots off his standard diatribe against whole races, countries or sexes. Every other commenter here attacked this woman for what she is, trash. But nobody else felt the need to say all women are trash, and it has nothing to do with some pc hangup to keep the liberal coalition together or whatever he's ranting about.

Remember Jason launches the same anti woman attack every single time a woman's picture appears in towleroad. It can be the most gay friendly woman in the world doing something amazing for the gay community, and he'd still slam her for being a woman. It's psychotic.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 10, 2012 10:30:16 AM

13. Calling her a Fox reporter is disingenuous. She's a WXIX reporter. It's a Fox-affiliated station that is not owned & operated by News Corp.

Posted by: Sabat | Nov 10, 2012 10:34:57 AM

14. The comment made by Jason (the first commenter) is as bigoted as the comments Tricia Macke made.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Nov 10, 2012 10:58:42 AM

15. Fair-minded, LGBT-friendly women of America and the world, I apologize for any comments by Jason, Artie and "Spunkybunks" that are ridiculous, offensive and just plain jackassy. The rest of us know that you're nothing like Ms. Macke, that your hair color has nothing to do with your views and actions, that your use (or not) of makeup has zero bearing on your character and that extreme pejoratives have no place in referring to LGBT folk, women or anyone else.

Posted by: PepeSF | Nov 10, 2012 10:59:07 AM

16. If our community sets the standard by referring to each other using the wrong gender..."you go gurl"...then we can't get too upset at this. Plus it is was kinda funny.

Posted by: sfjerry | Nov 10, 2012 11:02:54 AM

17. @ Brian,

I'm convinced that Tricia Macke (and Sarah Palin, Bristol Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Ann Coulter, et al) represent only a minority of American women, although they are very loud. The point I'm trying to make is that though they are a minority, they are making an argument that has to be refuted in the 21st century. Their argument is that it's OK for women to disrespect gay and bisexual men, but it's "over the line" for any man (gay, straight or in between) to disrespect women. That double standard HAS to be refuted in a society that values civility in public discourse.

I haven't tracked all of Jason's comments carefully, so I suppose you may be accurate to say that he has been guilty of adding unhelpful xenophobia and racism to the discussion. I was only noting that Jason understood a noxious double standard that is used by a minority of homophobic women. In everyday life, I hear subtle or not-so-subtle homophobic comments from straight women (although they represent a minority of women), but almost never from straight men. If you're honest, you might admit that this is your everyday experience as well.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Nov 10, 2012 11:06:20 AM

18. Didn't sh mean she was sorry Mister Maddow? Silly Fox cow.

Posted by: dards | Nov 10, 2012 11:08:26 AM

19. From the picture above, it looks like Tricia Macke's primary qualification for the job of female Fox anchor might be the same as Megyn Kelly's: her legs. ("This is fox news," an insider said, "so anytime there's a chance to show off Megyn Kelly's legs they'll do it." goo.gl/EPAou)

I guess it was either Fox, or become a stewardess...in 1957.

Posted by: Keppler | Nov 10, 2012 11:09:41 AM

20. I see it both ways re: Jason.

There are a many women who see having a gay male friend as an "accessory" (i.e. the same way that having a good pair of heels, a Gucci bag, etc. helps round them out) and I've encountered many would-be female friends who fit this category quite well. "Oh, you're gay! You can help decorate my house/give me make-up tips/outfit tips/wedding tips, etc."

However...

I also have many current female friends who are basically blind to my gay status and see me as a friend first, male second and gay last. My sexuality does not define my friendship with them or my life, the same way my sexuality does not define my friendship with my gay or straight male friends. It's simply not an issue.

Society is full of many people and Jason's description of what women are like fit only a percentage of women, not ALL women and certainly zero women in my circle of friends.

Posted by: Johnny | Nov 10, 2012 11:14:12 AM

21. @ Pepesf:

From your comment: "extreme pejoratives have no place in referring to LGBT folk, women or anyone else."

If you'll read my first comment, you'll discover that the quote from you own comment simply restates the point of my own comment. Duh. Reading comprehension problem here.

Now to your criticism of Jason's comment. Reading Jason's comment, I don't find anywhere where he denies the existence of "fair-minded, LGBT-friendly women," as you put it. Jason's comment refers to "women who use homophobic or gender-based slurs when it suits them." You really do have a reading comprehension problem, and putting words in people's mouths doesn't strengthen your argument. I'm only asking you to improve you critical thinking skills, which I think is a reasonable request.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Nov 10, 2012 11:16:04 AM

22. @ Artie

Your post was actually rather convoluted, once you arrived at the Belonsky bit, so I had no real idea what you were trying to say, unfortunately.

And regarding Jason, while I read his entire diatribe, I really needn't have gone further than "This is one of the reasons I think we should be very wary of women who are not part of the gay community." That's one whacked out statement.

In both cases, it's not my reading comprehension that's the problem, it's writing that either doesn't make sense or is just inaccurate.

Posted by: PepeSF | Nov 10, 2012 11:33:01 AM

23. i'm guessing the choice of photo for her was deliberate...peroxide blonde, fake tan up the wazoo and so much slap on her face

Posted by: luke | Nov 10, 2012 11:40:53 AM

24. @ Pepesf,

To put it more simply (less "convoluted"), I think Jason was describing reality when he referred to "women who use homophobic or gender-based slurs when it suits them." If you think honestly about, you certainly know enough women who would be disinterested about anyone using an anti-gay slur, but would raise holy hell if it were an anti-female slur. If that isn't a double standard, I don't know what is. In the 21st century, that double standard is doomed, and if that offends you… oh, well.

As far as Jason's advice about being "wary of women who are not part of the gay community," I would be wary until I got to know the person, at least a little. Now you may ask, why does Jason mention being wary regarding only straight women and not straight men? Because you will commonly find that kind of subtle hostility toward gay and bisexual among straight women (albeit a minority), but very seldom among straight men. As an example, compare the lack of problems in the military with the politics in the average corporate office. Jason's advice—I suppose about people you don't know yet—is based on everyday life.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Nov 10, 2012 11:53:39 AM

25. That was no apology. She made a maneuver.

Posted by: Polyboy | Nov 10, 2012 12:05:33 PM