Anne Hathaway | Ellen DeGeneres | Jason Sudeikis | Maine | Mitt Romney | News | Rihanna | Saturday Night Live

BigGayDeal.com

'Gay Couple From Maine' Discuss Election On 'SNL:' VIDEO

GaycoupleSNL

Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update" segment covered the historic marriage equality wins in Maryland, Washington and Maine last night by inviting a "gay couple from Maine" — played by Bill Hader and Fred Armisen — to discuss how they met, the differences between Maine and glitzy New Hampshire and their romantic engagement. Well, romantic for a gay couple from Maine.

Check it out AFTER THE JUMP.

In other SNL news, hostess with the mostest Anne Hathaway's monologue evolved into a spoof on "One Day," a track from her forthcoming film adaptation of Les Misérables, and the actress also had a pretty genius turn doing "the Sloppy Swish" in a bizarre yet oddly addictive digital short called "The Legend of Mokiki."

And she made great "roach warehouse" in the "Girlfriends" sketch, while getting deep in fictional CIA agent Carrie Mathison's insanity during a send-up of Homeland. But it may be Hathaway's revival of her Katie Holmes impression alongside Kate McKinnon as Ellen DeGeneres.

Check out clips of those sketches, save for the Holmes impression, which isn't yet online, as well as two performances by musical guest Rihanna, AFTER THE JUMP. Oh, I've also included the cold open in which Jason Sudeikis plays a sad Mitt Romney.

GAY COUPLE FROM MAINE:

ANNE HATHAWAY'S MONOLOGUE:

THE SLOPPY SWISH

HOMELAND

MITT ROMNEY COLD OPEN

GIRLFRIENDS: RIHANNA'S PERFORMANCES:

Comments

1. The Maine sketch was another affectionate attempt to show Gays as ordinary folks.
    However, Stephon makes me scream

Posted by: Bob | Nov 11, 2012 7:08:31 PM

2. This person or persons who poses as Rick and/or Jason with these bizarre comments cleary is not the real Jason or the real Rick, but I'm not sure we know who the culprit is. Kiwi is capable of bad behavior, so I can see why people suspect him. But the internet is conducive to this kind of fakery and it really could be anyone. I suppose the moderators of this site could check and see which email address is doing this, but I don't think we should be assigning blame to anyone without proof. Just sayin......

Posted by: Mary | Nov 11, 2012 7:24:20 PM

3. When we lose the ability to laugh at ourselves, we've lost everything. I hope you guys have the same faux outrage when SNL does parodies of other groups as well, or do you laught at that?. Those complaining have yet to answer the question: did you feel the same when Will & Grace made gay jokes?

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 11, 2012 7:30:43 PM

4. Will & Grace was just more liberals making gays look like fems. And to add insult to the injury they pathetically made Will date a black man and then a latino, which is stupid because everyone knows that race mixing is just another form of communism.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2012 7:36:50 PM

5. snl has always been homophobic, from john belushi as a lisping pirate (pretty humiliating to watch with my parents when i was just coming out as a teen) to the pedophilic scoutmaster alex baldwin sharing a tent with scout adam sandler (all of his movies are homophobic)

gay blackface at its worst

Posted by: t | Nov 11, 2012 7:37:03 PM

6. MARY - Kiwi has never denied it,his only honest part. He is unmistakable by, in part, his particularly inventive use of certain words, phrases and themes: balls, low father references, scat and not posting ones own video...many things. He doesn't sign his own name because he knows he is infected by an inate scum element and he doesn't want to discredit himself too accurately. Plus he's having a kind of Marat Sade fun.

You, of all people, should know this as he has attacked you with notable viciousness in the past.
    You don't forgive a repeat offender with hundreds of assaults on his record. I see that I am now one of his subjects. Pfft.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 11, 2012 8:06:00 PM

7. I thought it was great that SNL took the time to point out the importance of gay marriage being achieved through popular vote rather than through the courts. My favorite sketch of the night had to be the Mokiki short, and I have had the song suck in my head since last night. I was talking to a coworker at DISH about the show, and he thought that they should have had more political sketches. I am actually glad to be done with politics for a while, so I didn’t mind. I fell asleep last night right after the monologue, but I had it set to record on my Hopper from DISH. I love that I can record the whole season without worrying about storage space on its giant hard drive. This was a really promising move into post-election territory, and I think we may be in for a pretty good season.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 11, 2012 8:24:06 PM

8. It's just so telling that I'm now the target of his rage, as I've never pathetically tried to get his attention in my comments. I don't think some of you regular commenters know what life is like for those of us who insist on commenting anonymously, and while making denigrating comments about those who don't. Let me spell it out for you - our lives are worthless and anonymously insulting others online is the only think keeping us from offing ourselves.

So, from now on, kindly let us anonymous folks beg for attention from other commenters in our comments, but do not dare to question our motives. I've told you our motives. It could not be more clear.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 11, 2012 8:24:49 PM

9. "It could not be more clear" indeed. Unless he signed his real name. But that's not necessary, it's pure KIWI at his dissembling best signing on as me. For what on earth purpose?

Nite nite sugar...it's me the real

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 11, 2012 10:00:42 PM

10. How old are you people? Isn't there an SNL cut-off after college?

Posted by: jhr459 | Nov 11, 2012 11:20:54 PM

11. Well, I'm not anonymous and I thought the sketch was okay. Not funny, but not terrible in a somewhat solid episode (opening monologue, Ellen Degeneres/Katie Holmes, The Sloppy Swish all being season best material, with everything else being ho-hum to good). Hader and Armisen have great chemistry together that would have benefited from better writing. But, as a commenter pointed out, SNL spotlighted the fact that voters in the state of Maine passed Marriage Equality. And the sketch in question didn't portray gay men as gross or somehow alien or subordinate, so I fail to see the homophobia that others do. It's a comedy show. It's meant to make people laugh by exaggerating life.

Posted by: Vince Smetana | Nov 12, 2012 12:09:32 AM

12. Guys, it wasn't that it was homophobic...it just wasn't that funny. And I'm from Maine, those accents were rough. All in all though, it's SNL, this is what they always do. Calm it down.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 12, 2012 11:03:02 AM

13. Jason, you're life has GOT to be miserable.

Posted by: Kevin B | Nov 12, 2012 9:32:30 PM

14. Can't stand those 'Gay Guys from New Jersey/Maine/Whereever' Not funny.

Posted by: Book7 | Nov 16, 2012 5:36:51 PM