Discrimination | Jamaica | News

Gay Man Beaten By Guards, Mob At Jamaica University: VIDEO

Jamaicavideo

Here's a Jamaican Horror Story all too familiar: Two unidentified men were caught having sex at University of Technology Jamaica last night and were subsequently beaten by an angry mob, including the school's security guards. The gathered crowd just eggs them on. While one of the men managed to escape, while the other was arrested and then released to his parents, who were told he needed urgent medical care.

I've included video of the attack AFTER THE JUMP

Jamaican journalist Dionne Jackson Miller took to Facebook to not only express her disgust and sadness over the attack, but to deride people for continuously turning a blind eye to homophobia.

"[I] continue to wonder at my friends with their heads deep in the sand insisting that we are not a homophobic society. Really?," she writes.  "This has nothing to do with approval of or belief in a lifestyle. This is about a society that winks at barbarism and turns its head away insisting it is not happening, apparently all the reports of abuse are made up!!! And you wonder why we are seen as homophobic?"

The police and religious right often try to cover up hate crimes by claiming the incidents are gay-on-gay violence. The video AFTER THE JUMP shows that's clearly not the case.

Comments

1. Jamaica is a horrible, horrible place IMO. If you leave Sandals it becomes very obvious you are in the 3rd world. Only place I have ever been really afraid about being gay. Wont tell the entire story but at one point I was held at knife point and forced to clean out my ATM. I lived obviously; but my advice is if you ever cosinder going there, just go to Florida

They also just dont like white people. Even though their issues should be with the English and not Americans. They seemed to not like US blacks much either.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Nov 2, 2012 11:47:18 AM

2. Your video link is broken. Here is the video:

Posted by: simon | Nov 2, 2012 12:03:25 PM

3. "Shocking and disgusting content". So these guys have been attacked, and it's so shocking we can't show the evidence? That is disgusting.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 2, 2012 12:40:04 PM

4. "Shocking and disgusting content". So these guys have been attacked, and it's so shocking we can't show the evidence? That is disgusting.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 2, 2012 12:40:08 PM

5. Yes, Jamaicans definitely have an attitude, not just towards whites, but even American black folks. This is true across the Caribbean and West Indies. I've never understood why some people vacation there, there are plenty of other nice places in the world. They don't hold a monopoly.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2012 1:11:05 PM

6. Another link
    before they remove it again

Posted by: simon | Nov 2, 2012 1:51:10 PM

7. Working on cruise ships I go to Jamaica more than the average traveler. Many of the people are laid back and friendly, but just as many of them are stupid, bigoted, hostile, uneducated and angry. It's a pity because the island is so beautiful. A lot of the black natives in the Caribbean in general are that way, but such is life when you have a conservative church centered culture and a socially backward environment. White tourists, and some black ones, take their life into their hands when they venture out of a resort. I've found the vast majority of the Caribbean to be a ghetto. They are good for a few gorgeous beaches and a few margaritas, but that's it.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 2, 2012 3:01:42 PM

8. Working on cruise ships I go to Jamaica more than the average traveler. Many of the people are laid back and friendly, but just as many of them are stupid, bigoted, hostile, uneducated and angry. It's a pity because the island is so beautiful. A lot of the black natives in the Caribbean in general are that way, but such is life when you have a conservative church centered culture and a socially backward environment. White tourists, and some black ones, take their life into their hands when they venture out of a resort. I've found the vast majority of the Caribbean to be a ghetto. They are good for a few gorgeous beaches and a few margaritas, but that's it.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 2, 2012 3:01:46 PM

9. An ideal place to release the zombie-like virus discussed here the other day. Just blockade the island and watch them destroy themselves. ABC's Wide World of Sports can cover it.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Nov 2, 2012 3:05:34 PM

10. I go to St Croix in the US Virgin Islands regularly, a few times a year, and have never encountered anti-gay attitudes or prejudice.

Don't know about Jamaica though.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 2, 2012 3:14:31 PM

11. The video has been removed as "shocking and disgusting".

Please stop Youtube's easy censorship of the news (or anything else they don't like).

Posted by: Randy | Nov 2, 2012 3:39:35 PM

12. Sounds like an absolutely hellish place.

I agree with the comment on how rude and uncivil people in the Caribbean are. Been to a couple of the islands and the people seem like the walking dead. Extremely slow. Seemingly very stupid and the anti-thesis of hospitable. I have no desire to go to any of the islands there. I'd much prefer central America or Mexico. I'm not much of a drinker and not much of a beach bum... so the Caribbean is easy for me to avoid --not that I would go there even if I was a beach bum! Florida and California are so much nicer anyhow.

Posted by: Dan CObb | Nov 2, 2012 3:48:35 PM

13. Is it me or this is the country chosen by America's Next Top Model for it finals? Oh, the irony. And if I don't remember badly, homosexuality is illegal, punishable by prison. Hey, Jamaica, time to enter the XX century. If lucky enough later we will talk about entering the XXI.

Posted by: ComeOnYo | Nov 2, 2012 3:50:51 PM

14. I'm sick of how people think Jamaicans are cuddly, laidback stoners who radiate love and peace.

They have the highest murder rate in the werstern world. And more churches per capita. Puke!

And reggae music suck!

Posted by: dh | Nov 3, 2012 12:06:20 AM

15. Ok, I'm Jamaican and first of all, do not categorize all of us. I'm still appaulled as well, it strikes me the most that these were teens, adolescents. The blatant issue is that our country tries to move ahead but a lot of the people are as backward as a wheel rolling up a hill. It's ok to have your opinion on the people you know and have heard about, but please do not follow the bandwagon that says all of us are homophobic to the point of being barbaric. ANTM was shot in the Tourist region sir/mam Were it is more gay friendly, despite what people like to believe. As to the attitude our people have, Well honestly, blame the old people... I'm as you can all see sensible, I love culture and I really do believe the motto of our country, But i really must advise you that its a Caribbean thing that all tourists have money, if you have light skin you are deemed as rich -_-. The black stereotype of being self oppressive, greedy, apathetic is present, and with every passing day it dies out, the problem is that some a these dumbass kids keep having kids that they don't raise properly, Our country has its fault like all others, but there is no excuse for trying to kill someone for ALLEGEDLY being caught in a sexual act with another man, because its really their business. I see everyone being stupid, The guys for being in a public place, the guards for not doing the right thing, ignoring protocol and harming another person out of rage, I'm like, isn't Secure in your job title? And a lot of the students present, because there were voices of reason in the crowd. Females however, any male defending them would most definitely have been beaten.

Posted by: Ja-Uwi | Nov 3, 2012 5:16:34 AM

16. Ok, I'm Jamaican and first of all, do not categorize all of us. I'm still appaulled as well, it strikes me the most that these were teens, adolescents. The blatant issue is that our country tries to move ahead but a lot of the people are as backward as a wheel rolling up a hill. It's ok to have your opinion on the people you know and have heard about, but please do not follow the bandwagon that says all of us are homophobic to the point of being barbaric. ANTM was shot in the Tourist region sir/mam Were it is more gay friendly, despite what people like to believe. As to the attitude our people have, Well honestly, blame the old people... I'm as you can all see sensible, I love culture and I really do believe the motto of our country, But i really must advise you that its a Caribbean thing that all tourists have money, if you have light skin you are deemed as rich -_-. The black stereotype of being self oppressive, greedy, apathetic is present, and with every passing day it dies out, the problem is that some a these dumbass kids keep having kids that they don't raise properly, Our country has its fault like all others, but there is no excuse for trying to kill someone for ALLEGEDLY being caught in a sexual act with another man, because its really their business. I see everyone being stupid, The guys for being in a public place, the guards for not doing the right thing, ignoring protocol and harming another person out of rage, I'm like, isn't Secure in your job title? And a lot of the students present, because there were voices of reason in the crowd. Females however, any male defending them would most definitely have been beaten.

Posted by: Ja-Uwi | Nov 3, 2012 5:16:38 AM

17. Something not right here. Even what the students did may be a crime in that country, the security guards can arrest them but have not rights to hand out their own justice. Unless they think they are above the laws.

Posted by: simon | Nov 3, 2012 1:53:05 PM

18. I am a Jamaican. I have lived in Europe and I currently live in Jamaica. For the past few months, I have been doing research with the view of building a website about Jamaica as a tourist destination.

I often read on-line forums on Jamaica where there are a lot of opinions about Jamaica and its people by some people who clearly have never been to Jamaica and from some who have, but stay in their All Inclusive Resorts and judge Jamaica and its people based on their narrow exposure to resort staff, beach workers and taxi drivers. In other words, their exposure to real Jamaica is narrow or non-existent, yet they feel they are suitably informed to cast judgment on real Jamaica, resulting on an uninformed opinion.

I have also read blogs/opinions on line from people who have stayed in the resorts but have also ventured out, taken a tour of Jamaica either by self driving or hiring a vehicle with driver. Overwhelmingly, the views of those who have done this develop a broader more informed view of Jamaica. A high percentage of such visitors who have done this have discovered that real Jamaica is beautiful and being exposed to locals in different areas and the uniqueness of the island makes for more enjoyable vacation experience than they could ever imagined in their beach front resort – beautiful as it may be!

I live on the south coast of Jamaica where the air is clean; the landscape is lush green, with a great coastal view. The people of the communities/towns, whether they are farmers, fishermen or corporate business people, live, work, raise families and interact with each other and the many tourists who love this side of Jamaica. Some live on their lands in their nice homes, built by them to withstand storm and hurricane damage - (not just little shacks as I have seen described by some on line – based on the little they have seen). Yes, there are poor people whose homes are not mansions but that “little shack” often sits on much land that if they were able to turn some of that land into cash, they would have the opportunity to improve it.

In the comments on this page, I note that some comments are that Jamaican and I quote…“hate white people…and some black Americans” and comes across as some kind of racial thing. My opinion here is “white people and black people” or for that matter any colour of people can seem hateful at times and if ask them, no doubt they will have their reasons. The way I see it, attitude has a lot to do with how people respond to or shows respect to others.

In my experience, if you approach people with a good or positive attitude, it will be returned to you. If you approach people in a hateful or disrespectful way, you can be sure to get their backs up and the equal and opposite reaction with will often be applied. To simplify, if you approach a person or people in a negative way, no matter what their nationality, they will respond in like fashion – its human nature!

On the subject of the attack on the young gay man by the security guards, it is a deplorable state of affairs that should not have happened. Jamaica like everywhere else has its gay community – much as some might not like it...it’s only a matter of time before it has to be recognised. Unfortunately, too many eyes are closed to this fact at the moment but time will take care of that. I often express the opinion in conversations where there is opposition to gay rights that it will not be long before we will catch up with other countries, where gays in Jamaica will gain the rights that are being achieved in America and other countries at the moment.

Jamaica is a multi cultural society that includes Europeans, Americans, Asians, Middle Eastern, other Caribbean peoples and others of all colours. Jamaicans do not hate white people or black Americans – but if you approach them with disrespect or with a negative attitude, I promise you the majority will respond in like fashion. It does not mean the hate you, they just object to your negative attitude or approach.

Posted by: optimesp | Nov 14, 2012 2:56:14 PM

19. I am Jamaican and very proud of that fact. What happens on this video and continues to happen where homosexuals are concerned is truly appalling. There a lot of stupid and very backward people in our country who use religion to instill fear about all sorts of topics. Unfortunately homosexuality is one of those topics. Some Jamaicans think that homosexuality is catching (believe it or not) so they dont want their kids exposed in anyway.
    although alot of us do not believe in the views of the persons who will get violent, i do not see the situation changing drastically anytime soon. Our people are exposed to a culture that shuns this lifestyle. (sad but true. For example i could never watch a show with my children where two men got romantically involved. No, i am not stupid or backward and i do talk to my kids about same sex marriages and all of that but it is just something that is so deep in all of us that it will take a lot of educating and tolerance.
    That said, please do not judge all of us as being callous, cruel and brutal. That just is not so. In fact you would be very wrong.
    We are friendly people, for the most part. Just like when i travel abroad i have to be extra careful because I AM NOT AT HOME.

Please if you come to Jamaica, try to experience the island away from the bubble of the hotel but do this in a sensible and responsible way.

Some of us still are upset about slavery so anybody white is seen as slave masters (no matter where in the world you are from, we just see WHITE)

Finally, i think that tourist are safer in Jamaica than the Natives. There are some white missionaries here that ride bicycles to different parts of the island. some of the places they ride in at night i do not even drive in the days.

Posted by: Cynthia | Nov 28, 2012 12:49:52 PM

20. Gay is evil.must u copy every tin britain approved.if obama likes let him marry david cameron thats their business.

Posted by: Fabuluous | Jan 17, 2013 1:25:02 AM