California | Chick-fil-A | News

Meet the Chick-fil-A Superfans Who Fly to Restaurant Openings: VIDEO

Chickfila

More than 100 people camped overnight in Walnut Creek, California for the opening of a Chick-fil-A, including one superfan (below) who said it was the 27th time she'd traveled to the opening of a hate chikin shop.

Watch the insanity, AFTER THE JUMP...

Meanwhile, a small group of protesters showed up to try and counteract the mania:

Brent Allen already had a line out the door - more than 100 people camped overnight in a parking lot in Walnut Creek for his chicken sandwiches - so he just had to wonder how many protesters would show up Thursday.

Allen, the owner-operator of the first Chick-fil-A in the central Bay Area, was greeted by about a dozen sidewalk protesters who were angered by the fast-food chain CEO's opposition to same-sex marriage.

"I don't feel like they're here for me," said Allen, who delivered boxes of bottled water to picketers. "My sole goal is to run a business and serve delicious food. I'm here to treat and serve everyone with dignity and respect."

2_chickfila

Comments

1. I suspect most other chains would attract similar hordes of attention-seeking douchebags if they offered a year of free food for camping out at openings. What I wonder is if Sh-t-Fil-A has always done this, or if it's a recent bit of astroturfing.

In any case I was worried about the debacle of this summer increasing reich-wing turn out: "them libruls done is bannin' muh chick-fil-a cause the owner luvs Jesus"...it probably did minutely increase turnout. But not as much as the shear horror of Romney increased democratic turnout.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 9, 2012 9:44:30 AM

2. These people hate gays more than they love Jesus.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 9, 2012 10:25:07 AM

3. It's nice they give their employees Sundays, Thanksgiving and Christmas off. But I would go hungry rather than give them $ 1.00. All the people inside are as enlightened as customers that saw nothing wrong with "Whites Only" policies in diners in the 1960s.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Nov 9, 2012 10:31:57 AM

4. This is just disturbing, and these people are sick and uneducated. Scary.

Posted by: Stephen | Nov 9, 2012 10:46:02 AM

5. Let them eat chikn.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 9, 2012 10:50:45 AM

6. Do you people honestly realize that some people just go eat there for the food? Trust me, I don't eat there (or fast food in general), but this issue is a waste of time. Move on.

Posted by: Anthony | Nov 9, 2012 10:52:01 AM

7. I live in California. Walnut Creek is not the red South. This company (the restaurant that shall not speak its name) will need more than 100 people to return their investment. I predict this location to be closed within 2 years for lack of business assuming they keep up their hateful policies.

Posted by: turing's ghost | Nov 9, 2012 10:54:58 AM

8. So basically, these people send their time, money and effort over a chicken sandwich.

How sad.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Nov 9, 2012 11:22:47 AM

9. Let them choke on their chicken.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 9, 2012 11:33:55 AM

10. I seriously doubt that woman has flown to 27 openings. People lie.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 9, 2012 11:34:52 AM

11. They are all fat.
    Perhaps they should fly to 24 Hour Fitness center openings instead.

Posted by: Bill_SoCal | Nov 9, 2012 11:41:58 AM

12. People have WAY too much time on their hands.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 9, 2012 11:42:22 AM

13. Heart attacks are coming. Gonna laugh.

Posted by: Polyboy | Nov 9, 2012 11:45:56 AM

14. Ugh, there is one of these sick shops opening where I live soon. I am so disgusted

Posted by: RxR | Nov 9, 2012 11:57:01 AM

15. In my personal opinion I think it is wrong to assume that just because you eat at Chick-Fil-A that you are homophobic. Keeping in mind that countless members of the GLBT community shop at Walmart, The Gap, Nike ETC ETC ETC (consume Nestle Chocolate products) which are all documented companies founded on sweat shops and child slavery. So regardless if you do not purchase anything at this particular establishment somewhere down the line another human being will suffer because of your actions.

Posted by: Dan | Nov 9, 2012 12:28:07 PM

16. Are these people homeless? Why else would you sleep in a tent for a free crappy ass chicken sandwich? If not, I would highly suggest they get something called a life.

Posted by: TomTom | Nov 9, 2012 12:41:43 PM

17. Obviously they're all camping out for the free food. If BK, Mickey Dee'z or Wendy's did the same thing w/ coupons for free food for a year. People would be camping out there too. I agree w Turing's Ghost comment. Let's see how business is in a year or so.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Nov 9, 2012 12:56:59 PM

18. lol the other day I heard a political radio commentator talk about the chick-fil-a effect as if it was the backlash that would pull a landslide for Romney. Chick-fil-a is a failed effort as is anything those haters put forth.

Posted by: Gast | Nov 9, 2012 2:04:27 PM

19. @ECHTKULTIG

Free food has been part of Chik-Fil-A's opening hoop-la for years -- long before I had any idea of their politics.

Posted by: Rich | Nov 9, 2012 2:05:27 PM

20. Well, I'll have to say this is wise marketing. Chik-fil-A tells a bunch of people who aren't very good at math that they will get free food for a year. Then they give the winners 52 coupons for combo meals, which will probably cost the company about $6000 in food costs in total for that entite crowd of people.
    If any of the winners treats his family of four to the artery-sludging combo meal for each meal they have starting tonight, all the coupons from this "year's supply" will be gone by this coming Tuesday.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a penny at Chik-Fil-A. And even if I won this prize, I'd have to throw most of the haul in the garbage.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 9, 2012 3:30:30 PM

21. As one of the co-organizers of the protest in Walnut Creek, CA yesterday, I can attest to the decency of the store manager Brent. He did bring us water, and several times throughout the day, including during a downpour of rain, came out to check on us. While we only started with a dozen people at 9am, by 6pm we have about 50+. And contrary to what is above, the protest was about Winshape, not Cathy's attitudes on equality.

Posted by: Rik | Nov 9, 2012 3:54:35 PM

22. I would stand in line for an opening at Chick Fil A. That means I would get free food there and would not have to give them any money for that free food. I will eat at chick Fil A, so long as they break even or lose money on me.

I did a BWW opening and they give you 6 free wings per week for one year. If you miss a week, it is too bad, you missed out.

Posted by: Richard Harney | Nov 9, 2012 4:32:28 PM

23. oh. winners.

Posted by: io | Nov 9, 2012 8:54:10 PM

24. Who the hell waits in line longer than 10 minutes at a god damn hamburger store?

Posted by: Will | Nov 9, 2012 11:00:44 PM

25. It's a STORE! Get a LIFE!

Posted by: greg | Nov 10, 2012 1:26:45 AM