Kevin Clash | News | Sesame Street

Kevin Clash, Voice of Sesame Street's Elmo, Resigns After Second Man Comes Forward with Underage Sex Allegations

Sesame Street Workshop has announced the resignation of Kevin Clash, voice of the Elmo muppet:

2_clashSesame Workshop’s mission is to harness the educational power of media to help all children the world over reach their highest potential. Kevin Clash has helped us achieve that mission for 28 years, and none of us, especially Kevin, want anything to divert our attention from our focus on serving as a leading educational organization. Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Kevin’s personal life has become a distraction that none of us want, and he has concluded that he can no longer be effective in his job and has resigned from Sesame Street. This is a sad day for Sesame Street.

The statement appears to be a response to new allegations from a second accuser.

TMZ reports:

The accuser -- who is now in his 30s -- has filed a lawsuit against Clash ... claiming the two met on a gay phone chat line back in 1993 ... when the accuser was 15 years old and Clash was 32.  In the suit, the accuser reveals his name -- Cecil Singleton.

Among the allegations, Singleton claims, "[Clash] trolled gay telephone chat line rooms to meet and have sex with underage boys."

In the lawsuit, filed in federal court in NYC, Singleton claims Clash "groomed [the accuser] to gain his trust by, among other things, taking him to nice dinners and giving him money." Singleton claims while Clash was featured on "Sesame Street," he was "preying on teenage boys to satisfy his depraved sexual interests."

Earlier this week, Clash's first accuser Sheldon Stephens, said he was pressured into a settlement and wanted to recant his recantation, saying he didn't lie.

Comments

1. Not to make light of the situation but one could only imagine what his opening lines must have been...

Posted by: Michael | Nov 20, 2012 11:44:22 AM

2. Sounds bogus to me.

The scrum bags are going to be coming out of the wood work now, even though Clash no longer works with Sesame Street and is not a "high value target" any more.

And why didn't any rich guys hit on me damnit! I was cute once.

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Nov 20, 2012 11:48:43 AM

3. Why are there 15 year olds on gay chat lines?!?!?! Has anyone thought of that?

Posted by: Javier | Nov 20, 2012 11:49:47 AM

4. Oh, sure, Javier, it's the 15 year old's fault. This is just sad, sad, sad.

Posted by: jj | Nov 20, 2012 11:50:57 AM

5. wow - these loser termites are comin out of the woodwork...they see dolar signs - that is all$$$$

Posted by: Disgusted American | Nov 20, 2012 11:56:15 AM

6. I hooked up with Kevin Clash on a Commodore-64 BBS when I was 8!!

How do I get PAID?

Posted by: ripper | Nov 20, 2012 11:56:26 AM

7. So a 15-year-old boy was on a gay sex chat line 15 years ago and now is accusing Kevin Clash of "preying on teenage boys to satisfy his depraved sexual interests" which were somehow different from Singleton's "depraved sexual interests"? WTF

Posted by: Jessica Naomi | Nov 20, 2012 11:59:27 AM

8. It's the fault of both of them. I never would have gone on a gay chat line when I was 15. Had I done so, it would have been my choice and responsibility. I wouldn't do it today.

Also, who cares much about the guy who voiced Elmo? It's a puppet and a creep. There are plenty of both in the world.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 20, 2012 12:00:21 PM

9. What's up with this reaction against the victims. I was a teen once and back then there were limited options to connect with other gay men. This man seems guilty, otherwise why would he resign? I hope justice is served.

Posted by: Gast | Nov 20, 2012 12:04:21 PM

10. That's what happens when you start paying blackmailers. The last guy was completely credible with his history of theft accusations and arrests. Maybe this one will be more believable but I doubt it.

Posted by: Timzilla | Nov 20, 2012 12:08:45 PM

11. JJ, we hold teens acountable as adults for murder, why not something like this? If the law is in place to protect people that are assumed to not be able to make adult choices, but that assumption is subject to change, why can't we apply it to all instances?

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Nov 20, 2012 12:10:26 PM

12. Exactly. I was no innocent as a teen. These kids aren't either.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 20, 2012 12:13:52 PM

13. If the wanted justice they would have gone to police They want money.As I stated last week Clash is done.Hey guys stay away from teenagers or ten years from now you may get sued after you become rich.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 20, 2012 12:14:06 PM

14. Yeah when I was 15 we called those lines all the time. There was a list of local lines you could call in the auditorium catwalk, next to a phone. If you have ever been on one, it's a quickly degrading fantasy. Like no matter how normal the dude was, it would devolve into diaper talk or something super creepy. Even though the internet wasn't big and wasn't pulling in daters, those phone lines were pulling in future 4chan people. So it's entirely possible while on that line, he was talking naaaaaasty jazz. Good move on the quitting, in the best possible scenario, he dates lots of unsavory guys, the kinds of guys who would come out of the woodwork, etc.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 20, 2012 12:14:15 PM

15. What I don't get is why would a 15 yrs old go on a sex phone line if not to go looking for sex, when he hooked up with Clash he knew what would entail (Clash might not be the only 1 the 'victim' has sex with.) - if he was cruising a sex phone line, then he was looking for it. But it still doesn't excuse Clash for having sex with a minor - if it indeed happened. When I was 15 I always found older men attractive, if I would of had consenting sex with one I wouldn't scream 'victim' 15 yrs later.

Posted by: free will | Nov 20, 2012 12:20:32 PM

16. @fenrox: I get what you're saying about calling those lines as a teenager but when it got 'creepy' you hung up the phone didn't you? Apparently this 'victim' didn't & decided to pursue the fantasy into reality...he could of just hung up the phone but I think he wanted to have sex with an older man but know since the allegations, he's found a good way to get some free cash.

Posted by: free will | Nov 20, 2012 12:28:15 PM

17. Regardless what his ultimate legal determination of guilt (or lack thereof) ends up being -- this whole thing reeks of poor judgement on Clash's part. Imagine the heaps of expensive headaches you would have spared yourself if you had lived as a happily out guy who dates men his own age.

Posted by: Anders | Nov 20, 2012 12:32:20 PM

18. So....if you have a young teenage son or daughter, you don't mind if I [a 35 year old man] hook up with them and 'groom' them? No, of course you'd mind,unless you're a pervert with a serious personality disorder or mental illness.

Yes, I was a horny 15-16 year old at one time, but I was also still a kid in many ways, and it would have been wrong in a multitude of ways for a grown man to have used me to satisfy his sexual fetish.

=========

BTW Clash has received something like 25 Emmy awards. Very impressive. WTF do guys and women like him so often do such reckless sh*t which more often than not destroys their reputation, even career?

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 20, 2012 12:38:06 PM

19. Tickle me indeed!!

Posted by: John | Nov 20, 2012 12:40:35 PM

20. @Paul R...Which one are you a puppet or a creep?

Posted by: Ted | Nov 20, 2012 12:50:04 PM

21. As grandma used to say "you play, you pay." And he will. Every under 21 craiglist, chatline, chatroom, hookup site trick he ever had is gonna come crawling out of the woodwork.

Posted by: QJ201 | Nov 20, 2012 12:52:08 PM

22. "Yes, I was a horny 15-16 year old at one time, but I was also still a kid in many ways,..."

Thank God Rick didn't get to you. 'Course you'd have to have been a little darker and named Abdullah.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 20, 2012 12:53:54 PM

23. The other victim didn't seem particularly credible or had a really terrible attorney or both. Now that another guy has come forward, it does seem a bit more likely that it is true. For people who have been taken advantage of sexually, it's difficult to come forward because you often feel like you're the only one. Once one person comes forward, others eventually do as well.

And yes, we were all horny teenagers once but that doesn't mean that we had the maturity or emotional development to engage in sexual activities with adults. Regardless of whether the teens were on a gay chat line, they still are easily subject to manipulation. That's the nature of the power dynamic between adults and teens. Of course, that's not necessarily true in all relationships where there's a power differential, but it's one that plays out between adults as well.

There's a reason that so many people say that the best advice that they've received is "It's okay to say no" (Kylie Minogue is one example as mentioned in an interview posted last week). Saying no is a skill. People feel like they can't say no to certain other people for a variety of reasons.

I don't know if what the accusers are alleging is true, but I'm less skeptical now than I was when the first guy recanted and then recanted his recant.

Posted by: John | Nov 20, 2012 12:59:24 PM

24. @Rat, I'd very much mind. I was just pointing out the inconsistancies in how we treat teenagers and the choices they make. In one instance they are an adult, in another they are not. This doesn't excuse the creepy behaviors of Adult aged individuals but a case like this (a willing teenager who searched out older men) is very different from a case were a unwilling teenager is searched out by an older man). Teenagers are either responsible or they are not, I just think its hypocritical to judge them depending on what makes us feel better regardless of their actual competence to make an adult decision.

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Nov 20, 2012 1:01:38 PM

25. @Derrick,

I still can't understand how I was never molested by a priest, God knows a lot of them were light in the loafers and we all knew it. They had plenty of opportunity. Maybe I was too rough and scruffy for them, and I scared them away or something. Whatever. Truth is if one of them tried sh*t with me, I would have stabbed him.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 20, 2012 1:09:01 PM