BigGayDeal.com

Marriage Equality Wins in Maryland

Question6

Marriage equality has won in Maryland, with the Question 6 ballot measure succeeding! With
92.7% Reporting 51.7% approved the measure and 48.3% opposed it.

Comments

1. Well I'm English but even I am celebrating today as a huge win for gay rights anyway!!! Legalized in Maryland, re-legalized in Maine, Obama back in, and Tammy Baldwin in senate. Amazing day.

Posted by: danswon | Nov 7, 2012 7:42:00 AM

2. Jeez, now I'm going to have make an honest person out of my partner of 30 years, and figure out a new anniversary date!!! Such troubles. :-) Thank you voters of my wonderful state of Maryland.

Posted by: ernest1960 | Nov 7, 2012 7:57:17 AM

3. Keep in mind that the slim margin of victory - smaller than our share of the population - suggests that a majority of straight people still voted against us. And we're still suffering from a "Bradley effect" of 3-5% at the polls.

Posted by: BGKev | Nov 7, 2012 7:59:37 AM

4. Thanks to all the Marylanders for voting for 6. It's a huge victory.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 7, 2012 8:04:50 AM

5. Good post! I really like it.

Posted by: http://grandresume.com/ | Nov 7, 2012 8:06:45 AM

6. Nice try Kevin, but take your racism someplace else. According to the Washington State Secretary of State voters in Washington State approved gay marriage 51.79% to 48.21%. Washington State is 3.8% black. Maryland, according to the Maryland State Board of Elections, approved Gay Marriage 51.9% to 48.1%. Maryland is a state that is 30% black. So gay marriage passed by roughly the same percentage in a very white state as it did in a very black state. (There are only three states in which African American comprise a greater percentage of the population than they do in Maryland. Those states are Mississippi, Louisiana, & Georgia.) The reality, as much as you may want to deny it, is that black people came out in droves and voted for gay marriage.

Posted by: BMF | Nov 7, 2012 8:48:43 AM

7. I'm white and gay and have been brutally rejected by my family.. kicked out of my home for being gay, was homeless for a year....

and I cried all night tonight when these results were announced. I'd like to thank everyone ally in Maryland. From all the wonderful black residents who got it and stood by our side. The amazing latinos. The catholics. EVERYONE. It took an entire diverse group of people to make this happen. THANK YOU TO ALL.

Please...PLEASE let's continue this. and work together as a community. Let's be united as an LGBT. THIS IS OUR TIME. Celebrate each other. Stop the fighting amongst one another. Let's be a galvanized people.....this is a crucial moment in our movement.

Posted by: Kyle C. | Nov 7, 2012 9:15:54 AM

8. @ Kyle C

That was a beautiful message and so poignant. I hope EVERY person on here reads it, and rereads what you wrote because it's speaks to the heart of how our community can continue to move forward. Loving one another.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Nov 7, 2012 9:17:00 AM

9. @ Kyle C. : Well said!

To the LGBT....this is a monumental day for us all. We've each been hurt as a result of who we are. Today,w e each feel a little more loved. Black, brown, tall, short, old, young, fat, skinny, fem, butch: or in my case, nerdy white guy, lol; we're the only community who has such a diversified sampling, and who have each come from pain and rejection. Let us all work hand in hand to make LGBT equality a reality in all 50 states.

Posted by: Art Smith | Nov 7, 2012 9:19:43 AM

10. Can you all start posting supportive messages for this victory on the huffington post gay voices article that announces the win? The NOM trolls have literally started attacking all our straight allies in the comments section and telling them they will burn in hell for voting with us. We need more of us to put them in their place and stand up for our straight allies who are having to fend for themselves. Here's the link to the article:

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Nov 7, 2012 9:21:26 AM

11. Thanks for your story and message KYLE C. I wish you well and take your sentiments to heart your.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 7, 2012 9:33:13 AM

12. I have nothing in common with the first lady and our President, I'm not the same age, race, or even sexuality as them....and yet I love them, and feel like I know them, and feel like they accept me. I needed that feeling in my life. I know this morning we're all thinking about all the hardships we've each endured as a result of being LGBT. We all have a story as LGBT members, many of our stories are common. And many of us today feel like we're finally part of the AMERICAN story. I still can't stop tearing up today, and judging by the twitter messages of all my LGBT friends, they can't either.

Posted by: Lane Trees | Nov 7, 2012 9:52:33 AM

13. To describe today historic for LGBT is an understatement. I believe if every single LGBT gets involved in some capacity for an LGBT cause that matters to them starting from today, then I sincerely feel full equality in every LGBT cause is ours within the next 4 years. Don't forget, today's victory came as a result of the tireless work of millions of LGBT and allies who had conversations with friends and families and helped our gay youth and got out there and worked. Thank you all!

Special shout out to Harvey Milk. The transgenders and gays from stone wall. And the thousands of LGBT who were brutally killed in hate crimes throughout the years in history. This one is truly for you all!

Posted by: PhotoZ | Nov 7, 2012 9:55:36 AM

14. Actually, the final polls coming out of these states on marriage equality effectively were backed up in the voting booth. Because pollsters were adding the social desirability bias in their polls.

Maine's polls had us between 52-55% support and ended up at 54%.

Washington had us somewhere in the 52-53% range of support and it ended up at 52%

The final Maryland poll had us at 51-49% and we ended up with 52%.

The final Minnesota poll had it at 52% NO and that's the exact number that NO ended up on.

That goes to show that our "real" support number, is higher than it's ever been. We have more real allies than ever before.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 7, 2012 10:31:22 AM

15. I agree Photoz. This is one of the single most historic days for gay rights.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 7, 2012 10:47:01 AM

16. @QUEST: I never did "blame" black voters for Prop 8. Well, speaking for myself, anyway.

Prop 8 won because of a concerted, moneyed effort by the Mormon Church, the Catholic Church and a fetid, fevered campaign of misinformation.

And it is very important to note that the MAIN reason why Prop 8 succeeded in CA was because of the inept, clueless, idiotic campaign run by our side. THAT was the reason why Prop 8 succeeded. Period.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 7, 2012 11:40:33 AM

17. Coming from a Marylander - I KNEW we could do it if anyone could (after California failed). We're an extremely blue state!)

Seriously, I am SUPER-proud of my state today!

Posted by: Haikukitty | Nov 7, 2012 1:09:29 PM

18. FYI-the exit polls

46% of blacks voted for marriage equality 54% voted against.

A majority of black women voted for marriage equality.

Which is a mcu better percentage of blacks than usual for these ballot referenda.

Yeah, I would say that the black vote made a difference...not THE difference but a difference.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Nov 7, 2012 6:10:30 PM