News | Salvation Army | Stephanie Miller

BigGayDeal.com

Stephanie Miller Apologizes After Gay Firestorm Following Interview with Salvation Army Official: VIDEO

Sm

Yesterday Stephanie Miller angered a lot of listeners to her radio show after allowing Major George Hood of the Salvation Army to blatantly lie after she asked him if the organization is anti-gay.

SalvationarmyListen to the announcement on her radio show, AFTER THE JUMP...

She also issued a statement:

Monday on my Current TV program Talking Liberally, broadcast simultaneously on my national radio program, The Stephanie Miller Show, I announced that my friend and colleague Bill Press and I were launching a three-week competition to raise money for the Salvation Army to help Americans in need.

This was in conjunction with an advertising buy by the Salvation Army on Current TV. We all thought that we were doing something positive in the spirit of the holiday season.

Where I screwed up was in not doing more research about the Salvation Army’s long and checkered history involving LGBTQ people and our issues. I sincerely apologize for that.

When I returned from the Thanksgiving holiday, I learned a lot more — much of of it from friends like John Aravosis at America Blog and Michelangelo Signorile at Sirius OutQ — and I decided that, effective immediately, Talking Liberally and The Stephanie Miller Show would no longer be a part of the Salvation Army’s Online Red Kettle Campaign.

Please understand that I do believe the Salvation Army does much good work in the world and I also believe in redemption. I sincerely hope they will change their mission statement and policies regarding the LGBTQ community and I am very willing to continue that dialogue with them.

Through yesterday, your generosity has raised $1,150 for the Salvation Army in the Stephanie Miller Red Kettle.

I am now going to personally match that amount with a donation to the Trevor Project, whose work and mission I can endorse without any reservation. The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth.

As always, I am grateful to my viewers and listeners for holding me to the high standards that I always try to set for myself.

Love,

Stephanie

Listen (and watch), AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's the video:

Comments

1. That's what I call stepping up to the plate. THANKS Stephanie.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Nov 28, 2012 1:36:36 PM

2. Now THAT is an apology the rest of the media could take note of when lied to by Christianists!

An actual apology for not researching, accompanied by actual ACTION in her personal donation to Trevor. Classily done.

BRAVA STEPHANIE.

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 28, 2012 1:38:56 PM

3. Stephanie has that rare quality called integrity.

Posted by: Andrew K | Nov 28, 2012 1:39:39 PM

4. Classy---great response.

Posted by: octobercountry | Nov 28, 2012 1:40:58 PM

5. Damn, what class.

Posted by: mike8787 | Nov 28, 2012 1:52:17 PM

6. Thank you, Stephanie. All is forgiven.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 28, 2012 2:00:15 PM

7. Now bring the liar back on the show and ask him to explain why lying is acceptable.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 28, 2012 2:06:52 PM

8. "checkered"? The history isn't checked. It's very clear.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 28, 2012 2:08:16 PM

9. Everyone makes mistakes now and then even well know celebrities. Stephanie's show is a wonderful liberal outlet, we should all forgive her and move on.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 28, 2012 2:11:13 PM

10. Fantastic apology!

Posted by: Donald | Nov 28, 2012 2:12:05 PM

11. Pure class!

Posted by: C.J. | Nov 28, 2012 2:16:11 PM

12. how could anyone even remotely aware of LGBTQ issues not know this? it has been a matter of discussion for 30 years. still, that is a great apology.

Posted by: deedrdo | Nov 28, 2012 2:18:39 PM

13. Do your job right the first time. Everyone hears his lies unchallenged and believes it is the truth. Then sometime later you make a correction but did everyone hear the retraction or correction? It is nice that a correction was made but it does not undo the original story. Sad.

Posted by: Nigel | Nov 28, 2012 2:20:24 PM

14. Her apology is a template to use for apologies to be made in the future.

No victim-blaming, no "sorry you feel that way," just an outright acceptance of error.

Posted by: Soren456 | Nov 28, 2012 2:20:34 PM

15. Take Note: THAT is how you apologize.

Thank you Stephanie!

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 28, 2012 2:24:37 PM

16. AMAZING APOLOGY!

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 28, 2012 2:38:59 PM

17. The first apology I've read in a very long time that didn't begin by addressing it to "anyone who may have been offended........". Plenty of us were offended by this liar so this statement is very much appreciated.

It's interesting how knowledge and information can shed light on a subject and, sometimes, change a person's perspective. If only it were so regarding the homophobes running The Salvation Army.

Now, how about educating your liberal colleague Bill Press about this hateful group so he, too, understands the error of supporting them.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Nov 28, 2012 2:39:26 PM

18. Hadenoughbs: On her show, she and Bill Press had a loooooog talk about the issue. They are in agreement about it.

Posted by: Christopher | Nov 28, 2012 2:49:51 PM

19. Wow, that is really awesome of her! Well done, and with a good deed too.

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 28, 2012 2:54:04 PM

20. Thanks, Christopher, for the update on her discussion with Bill Press. That makes her apology even more impressive!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Nov 28, 2012 3:14:22 PM

21. I don't think that she should have included the part about the Salvation Army doing any good. It cheapens the rest of the statement, and takes away from the main point. You can always, as an exercise, find some good that comes from bad things, even war. If an organization is doing harm to a disadvantaged minority, especially to the point of cruelty, don't sing their praises, even in passing.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 28, 2012 3:17:37 PM

22. For the handful of people who don't understand how she could make the error in the first place: I'm gay, and all I knew until now about the Salvation Army was that their people stood outside stores ringing bells and collecting money, presumably for helping poor people. I think it's natural to assume that if an organization looks like they're doing a good thing, that they actually *are* a good organization in everything they do. It's a flawed assumption, but it's a common and very human mistake to judge a book by its cover. This is why we should be glad that she has listeners who dialogue with her, that she respects their information, and that she acts on it.

Posted by: Stefan | Nov 28, 2012 3:26:13 PM

23. I tend to agree with Eric, just above. At least she should add that the Salvation Army has no monopoly on the "good" that it does, and that secular charity does the same work without inflicting the damage.

Posted by: Soren456 | Nov 28, 2012 3:37:02 PM

24. I love you Stephanie.

Posted by: danielw | Nov 28, 2012 3:44:47 PM

25. She could have dropped the "they are doing good" line. There is nothing the SA does that plenty of other charities can't do. And more importantly, the SA isn't even a real charity, but a church. Their main goal is spreading religion. If you want to donate something, donate either to a secular charity or a religious one that doesn't proselytize.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 28, 2012 3:50:05 PM