News | Salvation Army | Stephanie Miller

BigGayDeal.com

Stephanie Miller Apologizes After Gay Firestorm Following Interview with Salvation Army Official: VIDEO

Sm

Yesterday Stephanie Miller angered a lot of listeners to her radio show after allowing Major George Hood of the Salvation Army to blatantly lie after she asked him if the organization is anti-gay.

SalvationarmyListen to the announcement on her radio show, AFTER THE JUMP...

She also issued a statement:

Monday on my Current TV program Talking Liberally, broadcast simultaneously on my national radio program, The Stephanie Miller Show, I announced that my friend and colleague Bill Press and I were launching a three-week competition to raise money for the Salvation Army to help Americans in need.

This was in conjunction with an advertising buy by the Salvation Army on Current TV. We all thought that we were doing something positive in the spirit of the holiday season.

Where I screwed up was in not doing more research about the Salvation Army’s long and checkered history involving LGBTQ people and our issues. I sincerely apologize for that.

When I returned from the Thanksgiving holiday, I learned a lot more — much of of it from friends like John Aravosis at America Blog and Michelangelo Signorile at Sirius OutQ — and I decided that, effective immediately, Talking Liberally and The Stephanie Miller Show would no longer be a part of the Salvation Army’s Online Red Kettle Campaign.

Please understand that I do believe the Salvation Army does much good work in the world and I also believe in redemption. I sincerely hope they will change their mission statement and policies regarding the LGBTQ community and I am very willing to continue that dialogue with them.

Through yesterday, your generosity has raised $1,150 for the Salvation Army in the Stephanie Miller Red Kettle.

I am now going to personally match that amount with a donation to the Trevor Project, whose work and mission I can endorse without any reservation. The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth.

As always, I am grateful to my viewers and listeners for holding me to the high standards that I always try to set for myself.

Love,

Stephanie

Listen (and watch), AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's the video:

Comments

1. Class Act. I hope others take note.

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 28, 2012 3:58:21 PM

2. It's called the Salvation ARMY. Why would anyone endorse a Christian militant organization?

Posted by: grench | Nov 28, 2012 4:07:37 PM

3. Grench, I was an adult before I realized that "salvation" meant "saved by jeebus" and not "salvaged junk."

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | Nov 28, 2012 4:39:06 PM

4. Good on Stephanie & Bill Press. Instead of trying to sweep this under the rug they took it on, and showed accountability. I always listen to the Stephanie Miller show as it's an awesome daily dose of comedy. Was even more heartened to see her match the donation to the Trevor Project. Brava!

Posted by: Redebbm | Nov 28, 2012 5:24:43 PM

5. trained journalists don't leave the important stuff to their staff. look at what Dan Rather did. he, and she, deserve the mistrust purgatory.

all in all, a lot of work just for a $1150 tax deduction.

Posted by: vwdavy | Nov 28, 2012 5:33:45 PM

6. Salvation army steals toys from children in Canada..interesting...why aren't gay groups picking up on this story???

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Nov 28, 2012 6:16:34 PM

7. This is why I loved Stephanie before this incident. She is funny, classy, and has integrity. Go Steph!

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 28, 2012 6:27:19 PM

8. consider yourself forgiven, lass.

you made the critical error of giving someone the benefit of the doubt and taking them at the word. an admirable error.

kudos. well met.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 28, 2012 6:41:20 PM

9. VWDavy, Steph and the Mooks aren't "trained journalists," they are a political comedy team.

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | Nov 28, 2012 6:51:26 PM

10. Jamie, a "political comedy team" shouldn't be (obnoxiously) pretending to bring us "the truth about the Salvation Army" when they know nothing about the subject!

If you're going to act like journalists, you have to do the job correctly.

I think that's probably a lesson learned.

Posted by: Vint | Nov 28, 2012 7:13:15 PM

11. Yeah, I really agree that the "doing good" line being edited out by Stephanie would better serve holding the Salvation Army and their innumerable hateful hypocritical (and in this particularly odious interview, outright liars of the first level) Christian competitors' feet to the fire for their duplicitous adherence, first off, to maintaining their "overhead" costs of doing disservice to the LGBT folks and their allies. Christ Almighty, even Mussolini made the Italian trains run on time!

Posted by: Tom Cardellino | Nov 28, 2012 10:36:44 PM

12. "For the handful of people who don't understand how she could make the error in the first place: I'm gay, and all I knew until now about the Salvation Army was that their people stood outside stores ringing bells and collecting money, presumably for helping poor people."

I really don't think that ignorance is an attractive quality. I hope that everyone checks out the organizations to which they give money.

The Salvation Army's poor relationship with gays is widely documented and not hidden in any way. For Stephanie Miller to plead ignorance is simply ridiculous. She is a public figure with the ability to raise money for causes. She should pick up a newspaper now and then.

Posted by: Guy | Nov 29, 2012 12:30:10 AM

13. She's a liar. She says she didn't know they were anti-gay until people told her the next day ! WTF ?! ALL gay people know how anti-gay the Salvation Army are !

She is a liar. She is not to be trusted. If we hadn't raised a stink about this she would never have apologized.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 29, 2012 12:34:06 AM

14. Any stores that allow the Salvation Army to ring their damn bell in front of their doors should be boycotted. And, of course, we can give our charitable donations to other organizations and causes.

Posted by: DAVID in Chelsea, MA | Nov 29, 2012 7:37:00 AM

15. Shove it ICEBLOO.

Posted by: Astro Boy | Nov 29, 2012 9:46:32 AM

16. I disagree that she's supposed to pretend that the group doesn't actually help some people and do good in some ways.

It's not like they're siphoning the money off to club baby seals and buy meth. Within the bounds of what they do and who they are willing to treat as people, they do some pretty good stuff.

I think Stephanie handled it perfectly - they may do good things, but by being anti-gay, they make it impossible for her to support them, and she'll be allying with groups that aren't hurtful along with the good they do.

They won't get a dime of my money, but I don't have to pretend they aren't helping people they consider worthy of help.

Posted by: Lymis | Nov 29, 2012 11:09:34 AM

17. How does anyone, involved in the gay community or not, even for one second believe that a "Christian" organization is not anti-gay. The two are mutually exclusive. And while I'm at it, if you call yourself a gay Christian, you seriously need a reality check.

Posted by: Lee | Dec 4, 2012 2:50:26 PM