News

My Gay Roommate: VIDEO

Gayroommate

A new web series explores the ins and outs of college life with someone of the opposite orientation.

Watch the pilot, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I would prefer it be called "My Straight Roommate", because I roomed with a bunch of straight kids and they are really alien.

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 28, 2012 10:27:52 AM

2. Would've been more interesting if it turned out that the one with all the mannerisms and affectations was the straight one.

Posted by: SC David | Nov 28, 2012 10:36:31 AM

3. yet another badly acted gay film.

Posted by: DG | Nov 28, 2012 10:55:31 AM

4. Where are all the people that said The Outs was the worst written/acted thing they've ever seen?

Posted by: BenR | Nov 28, 2012 11:06:16 AM

5. Yeah, gotta admit. It's pretty bad. And yes, the title should be reversed. The guys are hot and, as usual, the acting poor. What idiot would hug a straight guy rather then accept his handshake? Real people, gay or straight, do not act that way - unless you're a total idiot and obviously that's what the director was going for here.

Why can't we just get a series about real people doing real things. Living real lives and having real friends?

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 28, 2012 11:19:39 AM

6. they should have atleast gotten astraight guy to play straight.. theyre both gay!!

Posted by: lamont | Nov 28, 2012 11:35:09 AM

7. I've only had straight rommates and they were always the ones acting femenine in underwear and I was always the cautious one

Posted by: diego | Nov 28, 2012 11:36:34 AM

8. "Where are all the people that said The Outs was the worst written/acted thing they've ever seen? "

I never connected with the Outs the way some people did, but the characters did at least seem somewhat plausible, i.e. they acted in a way that I could perceive a human being acting in that given situation.

This series does not look to be that.

Posted by: Nat | Nov 28, 2012 12:14:02 PM

9. Another point: I am tired of straight male characters being treated by gay male characters as some foreign entity. Most of my close friends are straight males. Many gay men have straight male friends. Most straight men - like most people - are decent human beings who do not mistreat others. It's not their fault that patriarchy has permitted a particular minority within their subgroup to act like complete monsters.

Posted by: Nat | Nov 28, 2012 12:19:16 PM

10. @Nat: "It's not their fault..." LOL
    Thanks also for saving me from seeing the pilot.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 28, 2012 12:29:02 PM

11. Inspired by the Tyler Clementi story??

Posted by: anon | Nov 28, 2012 12:29:55 PM

12. Since many of you enjoy bashing these self financed, truly independent web series, which cost you nothing to see... make your own. Show us how it's done.
    Ahhh... Internet Trolls.

Posted by: JimmyD | Nov 28, 2012 12:38:57 PM

13. It's not being a troll to point out here that it seems like a POS. Which it does. Trolling would be posting 5 comments about how it sucks to the youtube comments section. Agree with what Nat and others said. Can we have some realism please?

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 28, 2012 12:59:21 PM

14. "Since many of you enjoy bashing these self financed, truly independent web series, which cost you nothing to see... make your own. Show us how it's done."

I'm not obligated to create a series just because I happen to dislike the content. I'm not a paid critic, nor am I someone who thinks that my view on art is the one true view. I don't think there's something wrong with someone for liking this series. Taste is subjective.

But if you create art and then publicize it, you are putting yourself out there for feedback. Whether it's free or not has nothing to do with my entitlement to critique it. And my feedback for this particular piece of art is that it's inauthentic.

Posted by: Nat | Nov 28, 2012 1:02:34 PM

15. NAT, u r giving it too much credit by calling it "art" ;-)

Posted by: V-8 | Nov 28, 2012 1:14:42 PM

16. "NAT, u r giving it too much credit by calling it "art" ;-)"

I have a liberal definition of what constitutes 'art.' I think our society works best when we have plenty of room to praise and criticize, provided we explain our reasons.

Posted by: Nat | Nov 28, 2012 1:21:09 PM

17. Not sure if they're still in college, but this is associated with Temple University TV. Do you guys remember the things on your college TV station? I know when I was in school the student-produced programs and sketch shows were AWFUL. This is definitely a step up from those in production value. I think it's a great starting point for these guys - even if you think the jokes or stereotypes are lame.

Youtube can make anyone a star, but it also makes everyone a critic. Take this little short for what it is - a student-produced show that is just as much about showing they have the technical ability to pull something like this off as it is about the humor. Well done guys, hope your next efforts only get better.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 28, 2012 1:25:08 PM

18. I like the idea of the Outs amd being swallow the two little boyfriends could read the NYC phone directory and I would watch them.

Posted by: dards | Nov 28, 2012 5:59:14 PM

19. Was that from The Onion?

Posted by: Ninong | Nov 28, 2012 8:42:37 PM

20. It's most likely not from the Onion - the Onion would do a much more professional job. What such bad videos show is how difficult it is to make a decent one.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 28, 2012 9:15:53 PM

21. Ugh, really? Even gay "filmmakers" play in to the most odious stereotypes about gay male sexuality? The ending was nothing short of offensive. Why even share this link?

Posted by: Greg | Nov 28, 2012 9:40:24 PM

22. This is retarded. What gays didn't room with straight guys at one point? It really isn't a big deal. Hell I've been rooming with straight friends going on 6 years now. Give me a TV show, please.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 28, 2012 10:48:40 PM

23. Oh, if I could have even hinted that being Gay even existed when I was in College in 1950! You kids today have no idea what life was like post WW2.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Nov 29, 2012 12:11:39 AM

24. I thought it was sweet.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Nov 29, 2012 12:34:56 AM

25. Jerry, times change. Nat, you are the best. Whoever left the comment about "hot guys" please get thee to an optometrist!

Posted by: Kissyfur | Nov 29, 2012 3:12:28 AM