2012 Election | Barack Obama | Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | Hulk Hogan | Hurricane Sandy | John Travolta | Mitt Romney | New Jersey | New York | News | Pakistan | Religion | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

News: Pakistan, Gay Jews, Hulk Hogan, Roll Back The Clock

1NewsIcon Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington is calling on the IRS to investigate Catholic Bishops like David Jenky who use their pulpit to influence elections.

Obamaphone1NewsIcon This picture of President Obama was taken at a campaign office in Florida right after he realized he had dialed the wrong number. "Hi is this Ann? Hi, is this Ann? Oh, I'm sorry, I must have the wrong number," he said. I wonder if the person on the other end recognized his voice.

1NewsIcon DC's High Heel Drag Race happened and it was glorious.

1NewsIcon Stuart Milk, nephew of slain activist Harvey Milk, wrote a piece in The Advocate called "The Only Choice in this Election When You're Jewish and Gay". You should read it.

1NewsIcon GOP Minnesota Senate staffer Bob Koss was fired after harassing fellow Republican Rep. John Kriesel's appearance in a pro-marriage equality advert. "Just saw the @johnkriesel gay marriage ad. Really glad the RINO [Republican In Name Only] will be leaving the legislature. #mnleg & good riddance," he tweeted at Kriesel, a veteran who lost both legs in Iraq.

Nogas1NewsIcon New York and New Jersey are still coping with a gas shortage post-Sandy.

1NewsIcon On reality television and LGBT people: "Although it is routinely dismissed as trash, the reality genre has developed a reputation for diversity that scripted television hasn't been able to match, especially when it comes to the inclusion of gays and lesbians. This consistent and constantly growing — if not always flattering — representation across nearly all networks has helped humanize gay people for mainstream America, according to gay rights organizations."

1NewsIcon Kirstie Alley is still in love with John Travolta.

1NewsIcon Bradley Cooper and his dreamy locks on the red carpet.

1NewsIcon There is a Boy Meets World sequel series in the works. It is going to be called Girl Meets World.

1NewsIcon Nick Denton and Gawker's masterful lawyers are not about to let Hulk Hogan take them down in court.

1NewsIcon Gay Pakistanis are starting to peer out of the closet. From The NY Times: "The group is invitation only, by word of mouth. Members communicate through an e-mail list and are careful not to jeopardize the location of their meetings. One room is reserved for 'crisis situations,' when someone may need a place to hide, most often from her own family. This is their safe space — a support group for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Pakistanis."

NYerCover1NewsIcon The New Yorker covers the blackout.

1NewsIcon Vice President Joe Biden says GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney loves the end of Daylight Savings Time tonight because "he gets to turn the clock back". "He wants to turn back that clock so desperately -- this time he can really do it, tonight it happens. I'm going to get in trouble, but I tell you, man," said Biden in Colorado.

1NewsIcon The debate over marriage equality in Minnesota is pitting Catholic against Catholic. "As Minnesota's gay marriage vote draws near, the divide between Minnesota's Catholic hierarchy and some churchgoers gets starker. Minnesota's Roman Catholic Church has donated heavily in support of the proposed ban and called on members to support it, leaving gay-friendly Catholics in an increasingly tough position," reports Patrick Condon.

Comments

1. "Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington" should just skip that investigation step, because it's going to be too expensive, given that these brazen lawbreakers pay no taxes to fund the investigations (some of which will find no wrong-doing, and will therefore not be self-funding).

The real problem here is the tax-free ride that religious groups get in the first place, that nobody else gets for believing or transmitting their particular brand of bull.

We need tax equality, to end the special exemption given to churches and the like who do nothing other than broadcast their messages like any other loudmouth, or provide a social club like any other bar.

No special rights, no special exemptions.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 3, 2012 6:17:48 PM

2. Presidential campaigns know at least a week out who's going to win, don't they Barry. He's going through the motions.

Posted by: MarkUs | Nov 3, 2012 7:07:59 PM

3. Only one "s" in Daylight Saving Time.

Posted by: johnnysmythe | Nov 3, 2012 7:39:38 PM

4. I see Markus is still not taking his meds. Sad that anyone goes through life in such a delusional state.

Posted by: LiamB | Nov 3, 2012 7:40:53 PM

5. There ought to be a book of Obama's expressions, what a priceless face. I'm crazy about him...though I never let on.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 3, 2012 7:47:33 PM

6. Got to agree with you Randy. I say they either shut up or pay up. But then, we already know how well they are at 'covering up' their misdeeds.

And..FWIW..how come atheists don't get a tax break?? IS it because most atheists don't wear those snappy, gold-embroidery rain coats..I mean..robes?

Posted by: Mark | Nov 3, 2012 8:13:39 PM

7. I still don't understand the guys holding hands thing in Pakistan. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, just find it a curious cultural habit. As for the hugging, that's not unusual in most places, including the U.S.

I like hearing about gay life outside the so-called advanced west.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 3, 2012 8:21:22 PM

8. There isn't much to understand about the hand holding. In Pakistan (and India and the rest of South Asia) its normal for friends to hold hands when they walk. Its not erotically charged, its just a thing people do.

Posted by: traviszon | Nov 3, 2012 10:09:29 PM

9. @LiamB: Actually, I wondered if Markus's statement referred to Romney's avoidance tactics regarding Sandy.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 4, 2012 1:50:14 AM

10. When it comes to voting for any office,I always vote for the person who is best qualified, and not because they have something in common with me. Being gay does not make a candidate,athlete or hairdresser any better.

I think it is absolutely wrong that ads note that a person religion,sexual preference is at the top of a candidate's strong points. Where they stand on the issues and their experience are the most important reasons to vote for someone. I am against the Victory fund. When they endorse a better non-gay running against a less qualified gay... then I might change my mind. I was lucky to reside in San Francisco in the 1970's, and recall Mayor Moscone showing up at gay events long before it became fashionable for non-gay politicians to do so. I'm disappointed that his name is not part of the Official Harvey Milk Day events.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Nov 4, 2012 9:50:58 AM

11. I am outraged that an organization that claims to care for the needy would spend the money it receives from parishioners to support a law that would promote denying civil rights to a segment of the population. The GLBT community is the last group that is considered fair game for discrimination.

Posted by: lk | Nov 4, 2012 9:54:47 AM

12. @RANDY: Well said. You've got my vote! Tax the churches and end the exemptions.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 4, 2012 11:36:27 AM

13. The prez looks completely adorable in that picture… I'm actually reading Markus's comment in reference to Obama looking extremely relaxed and confident here, although I am also sure that I'm wrong. About Markus' intentions that is.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Nov 4, 2012 4:29:25 PM

14. If you are going to start investigating the tax exempt status of the Roman Catholic Church, thats fine. But you had better also investigate the White Fundamentalists Protestant Churches and the African American Protestant Churches where services are often more like political rallies. Don't forget the Mormons who are funding all sorts of political movements.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 4, 2012 7:22:03 PM

15. WOW! A lot of things going on in the world right now.

Posted by: Samson | Nov 12, 2012 8:31:39 PM