Crime | News | Tennessee

Gay Man Beaten Unconscious in Homophobic Assault at Camp for the Homeless: VIDEO

Ortman

Glen Ortmann, a homeless man in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, says he was beaten unconscious in a homophobic assault in a homeless camp in the woods referred to as Tent City, NBC 4 reports:

"It makes it 10 times harder when you're gay and homeless at the same time," Ortmann said. Ortmann said over the weekend he walked right into a trap after recently revealing he's gay. "It was a big crowd, and all I remembered really is being hit once or twice and being knocked out cold," Ortmann said.

His right eye was swollen shut. He also suffered a busted lip and a badly bruised nose. His entire body was filled with pain. "I was sore," he said. "My head was mainly sore from the beating I took."

The homeless man said he has no doubt in his mind he was targeted by the other homeless people at the camp because of his alternative lifestyle. "I was beat up because I was gay," Ortmann said. "It's considered a hate crime. It's against the law to put your hands on someone to begin with."

Ortmann has been homeless for two months, and must remain at Tent City because he has nowhere to go, fearing for his life, he says, and constantly having to look over his shoulder. Police are supposedly investigating a couple names as possible leads in the case.

Watch NBC4's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few seconds to load...

WSMV Channel 4

Comments

1. What is this, 1995? Because that was around the last time I heard of gay people as having an "alternative lifestyle."

Get with the program. I have a LIFE, not a "lifestyle." And there's nothing "alternative" about it. That word implies a conscious choice where none exists.

Posted by: atomic | Nov 16, 2012 2:16:44 PM

2. I think we all need to hear more about the issues faced by gay homeless people.

Posted by: Brent | Nov 16, 2012 2:17:43 PM

3. i imagine after seeing the him on tv, a few guys in the area will offer him a bed.

Posted by: kevin | Nov 16, 2012 2:25:17 PM

4. um...he's beautiful!

Posted by: BD | Nov 16, 2012 2:30:48 PM

5. he is going to have no problem finding a warm bed now...

Posted by: adam | Nov 16, 2012 2:32:04 PM

6. I wish I knew how to donate to Glen Ortmann DIRECTLY to help him find a place to live and get him off the streets. He sounds like a nice guy who is just down on his luck.

Posted by: Joe | Nov 16, 2012 2:37:17 PM

7. Yeah, my first thought was what a great opportunity it was for somebody to acquire a sex slave......

Posted by: Rick | Nov 16, 2012 2:37:49 PM

8. Sexiest homeless dude ever. He can come shower at my place.

Posted by: Jeremy | Nov 16, 2012 2:40:40 PM

9. It cringes me when you still hear the terms like "alternative lifestyle" or "anti-homosexual" from people- it's like they are reluctant to say those words in front of camera. What are we gonna do with those Southern people?

Posted by: jeremy | Nov 16, 2012 2:44:41 PM

10. This breaks my heart that this happens here in the United States- both aspects- his homelessness and being beaten for being gay.

Posted by: Frank | Nov 16, 2012 2:45:58 PM

11. So we what to be treated as equals and the majority here feel the need to sexualize their response regard Mr. Ortmann's situation. So common and 1970's typical.

Posted by: manny | Nov 16, 2012 3:02:50 PM

12. How exactly does a gay homeless person have an alternative lifestyle compared to straight homeless people? Seems like being homeless is enough of an alternative lifestyle.

Posted by: JFE | Nov 16, 2012 3:09:08 PM

13. With all the money coming out of our paychecks to fund homeless programs, why is this guy choosing to live out in the woods?

Posted by: anon | Nov 16, 2012 3:15:31 PM

14. @Manny: I didn't sexualize Mr. Ortmann in my response, but I have no problem with those who do. He is reasonably young, healthy-looking, and attractive. That naturally leads me (and many others) to wonder about the circumstances surrounding his homelessness. To not ask this question is to be willfully blind to the realities of society--that attractive people DO have more doors opened for them. It may not be how things should be, but it is how things are--across ALL segments of society, not just among gay men.

So chill out. Oh, and learn how to write grammatically correct English.

Posted by: atomic | Nov 16, 2012 3:15:38 PM

15. CAREFUL MY DEARS. I KNOW HE'S HOT AND ALL THAT BUT COULD BE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS. COMPASSIONATE QUEENS GET OFFED BY PICKING UP HOMELESS AND TRANSIENTS ALL THE TIME. IF YOU WANT TO CLEAN HIM UP, TAKE HIM TO THE BATHS, ETC.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Nov 16, 2012 3:21:31 PM

16. His situation could be the result of so many different things... meth, heroin, crime, etc.. it's sort of stupid to assume anything until you really know. I'd hate to see someone try and "rescue" him, only to become victims themselves because they did not do enough background on the guy.

I do feel bad for him, either way. We can thank Reagan (yes, this much later) for homeless shelters and institutions like that losing funding and going away.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 16, 2012 3:23:06 PM

17. @Atomic.. You amuse me. You give the green light to sexualizing a situation because of his looks? It is to be expected for gay men to make these types of remarks because of their nature? Please responded back with some more lame platitudes.

Posted by: manny | Nov 16, 2012 3:43:56 PM

18. It's amazing. Even the homeless? You don't have a roof over your head and you still worry about the gays? Sometimes I'm shocked by how much hatred some people can have.

Posted by: Sarina | Nov 16, 2012 3:51:38 PM

19. He can come and stay with me anytime he likes.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 16, 2012 3:52:45 PM

20. @johnny....The glass is have full not half empty.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 16, 2012 3:53:27 PM

21. Manny wrote:
    "You amuse me. You give the green light to sexualizing a situation because of his looks? It is to be expected for gay men to make these types of remarks because of their nature? Please responded back with some more lame platitudes."

HAHAHAHA. You are such an idiot that you use words whose meaning you don't actually know, on top of composing a completely incoherent argument. I only decided to respond and QUOTE your message because I wanted to take the time out of my day to laugh at your stupidity.

Posted by: atomic | Nov 16, 2012 3:57:19 PM

22. @Atomic.. I can piss further! : )

Posted by: manny | Nov 16, 2012 4:01:22 PM

23. A horrible story. Given around 40% of people homeless are LGBT, and the streets are notoriously both violent and anti-gay, especially given this is Tennessee, this is a story we should really feel some sort of resonance towards. This is why it's so important to have LGBT safe houses to house homeless LGBT/non-gender conforming individuals. Because gay people are basically target #1 on the streets. Well, gay people are target #1 in Tennessee without doubt.

Yes, he's a cute guy but that's neither here nor there. Hopefully there is a way to contact him and donate some money. Every little bit could go a long way.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 16, 2012 4:06:37 PM

24. There are many reasons to be homeless. This guy may just have lost his job and the money ran out. Nowadays, even decent people can find themselves homeless, so let's not judge.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 16, 2012 4:06:48 PM

25. So, do any of you who are saying he could stay with you actually live in Tennessee or near the state or is that basically a proposition? Not playing dumb but I want to see if any of you would actually back that up and help this young man.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 16, 2012 4:13:01 PM