Alabama | Mallory Owens | News

Alabama Lesbian Mallory Owens Releases Statement About Brutal Thanksgiving Attack, Says She Fears for Her Life

M_owens

Mallory Owens, the Alabama woman who was attacked on Thanksgiving Day has released a statement through GLAAD regarding the attack in an effort to clarify media reports:

HatecrimeOfficial Statement from Mallory Owens and Family

I am represented by attorney Christine Hernandez. I am supported by my family, friends, several organizations including Equality Alabama and GLAAD as well as numerous other indviduals who have offered a multitude of support to myself and my family including all of those that have donated to help me with my medical expenses. For all of you that have supported me, I am very grateful.

The last week has been the most traumatic several days I have ever experienced, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Not just for me, but for my family as well. Fortunately, we are a strong family, and we are sticking together as a family.  On Thanksgiving Day, I visited the Hawkins’ home, the family home of my girlfriend Ally Hawkins. As I was leaving, I was brutally attacked by Travis Hawkins Jr., Ally’s brother. I believe that he intended to kill me. I was defenseless against him. This was not the first time Travis Hawkins Jr. attacked me and sent me to the hospital.

CONTINUED, AFTER THE JUMP...

Travis Hawkins Jr. has been charged with Assault Second Degree by the District Attorney’s office. Although, I appreciate all the efforts of the hospital and EMS staff, police, all the investigators, and District Attorney Ashley Rich, neither I nor my family agree that Assault Second Degree is the right charge. We are very hopeful and optimistic that as Ms. Rich, her offce and the police continue to investigate this crime, that the charges will be upgraded to attempted Murder. I was unconscious when the beating ended. I do not know what stopped him. I do know he has threatened to kill me before, he has attacked me with a metal pipe before, and on Thanksgiving Day he launched an unprovoked attack on me that left me unconscious, hospitalized, suffering horrific head trauma, severe injuries and in need of surgery and additional treatment. Since the attack, Travis Hawkins Jr. has been seen following my family and appearing at locations where they have gathered. He has threatened to finish me off. I believe as long as he is free on bond that my life continues to be in danger. Even beyond the physical harm, I am quite traumatized. I am afraid and I feel that I have been victimized repeatedly by the Hawkins family.

The interview at the Hawkins home was not requested by me, nor was I aware that the media would be at the Hawkins home. I was brought back to the home by Ally Hawkins. I wanted to be in my own apartment. Mr. Hawkins Sr. insisted we give the interview and statements were made. I believe Mr. Hawkins Sr. is very manipulative, I believe he organized the family and orchestrated the media represenation to portray himself in a better light. I do not feel safe there. I was very uneasy and nervous while I was there. I was still very disoriented, weak, and intimidated. Mr. Hawkins Sr. has also threatened me with harm based on my relationship with his daughter.   Travis Hawkins Sr. threatened me with a metal pipe while I was waiting in the car on a prior occassion.  Travis Hawkins Jr. used a metal pipe to assault me on a prior occassion.  He and his son pose a very real threat. I will not go back there.

It will be a very long time before I feel safe again. This sort of attack whether it is proven to be a hate crime or a crime derived from one man’s hate of another human being should not happen to anyone in this country. No one should have to endure an attack the way that I did. Neither should a mother have to see her daughter in the state that my mom had to see me.

During this investigation, many statements were made to the media, some were premature and misguided. All of us involved have been at the center of a huge media storm. At this time, we want to let the investigation continue and we need to heal. Ally Hawkins has continued to release statements and make arbitrary facebook posts and she has even offered a motive for her brother’s actions. Please know that Ally Hawkins is NOT SPEAKING for me, she is NOT representing me in the media in any way. Her statements and public posts on facebook or any other form of social media are NOT representative of my opinions, beliefs or words.

I am fortunate that my family’s love for me is unconditional. I fell in love with a girl. My family loves, accepts and supports me. They have shown nothing but love and acceptance throughout my attack, my time in the hospital, and the investigation of this brutal attack, they have been there for me, loving me and supporting me. I want to thank and publicly show my appreciation for my mom, my brother and sister, my Uncle Ricky, Linda, my grandma. Besides the countless individuals who have offered their support financially and in words of kindness, I also want to thank organizations like Equality Alabama and GLAAD for offering their direct support to me and my family, as well as working to create a culture in Alabama where people aren’t attacked for being who they are and loving who they love. Thank you to all those who have prayed, supported and advocated for myself and my family. For those of you who pray, we ask you to continue to pray for us as we heal.

GLAAD adds: "Mallory’s hospital stay and follow up care is expensive. If you want to make a donation to help offset the costs of this brutal attack, you can do so. An account for the Benefit of Mallory Owens has been set up at Regions Bank, you can go to any location locally. GLAAD has set up an on-line donation account to help facilitate the donation process. You may go to http://www.gofundme.com/1ldc7k to help."

Comments

1. I agree it wasn't smart for her to go there, but how many times have people have done dumb things because they're "in love"? The family presumably invited her for Thanksgiving dinner and perhaps she saw that as an olive branch, an attempt to make up for past events and hostility. Is that *really* so outrageous? I don't think so.

What IS outrageous is the Second Degree Assault charge for this POS. An attack of this severity could have very easily have killed her. It's only a matter of luck that she isn't dead.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 30, 2012 12:22:45 PM

2. Or... and I'm just putting it out there, find someone without a psychotic family to date. People do it all the time. They fall in love with someone but cannot deal with the drama so they drop them and move on. If someone had beaten my ass before, I wouldn't go over to their house for Thanksgiving. We need to be a little smarter, right? I'm not condoning the violence, but you need to protect yourself first.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 30, 2012 12:24:18 PM

3. Mallory said specifically it wasn't a hate crime and the reason that Travis attacked her "will get out".

Actually it was Mallory who said it wasn't a hate crime (in what has now been shown as a misguided attempt to protect her girlfriend) and it was the GIRLFRIEND who said the reason "would get out." Clearly when the morons could be smart enough to think one up.

Posted by: Mike Halterman | Nov 30, 2012 12:26:38 PM

4. I'm glad she'll be OK. I'd suggest she not visit anyplace where someone who previously assaulted her will be. Commonsense. And it appears this is turning into a soap opera, so who knows aside from Mallory, Travis and those present what went down.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 30, 2012 12:30:36 PM

5. Mallory needs to figure out why she loves a woman who was raised in a violent family, then she needs to run away from that violent family because the woman she thinks she loves was raised to think that beating women is love.

Then she needs to contact the United States Justice Department and tell them to charge that gay bashing thug with a hate crime and send him to federal prison for attempted murder.

Posted by: Jessica Naomi | Nov 30, 2012 1:21:20 PM

6. I am going to guess that you guys know nothing about love. Obviously, Mallory loved her girlfriend enough to give her family another chance to not be violent maniacs. She ended up being wrong, but that's besides the point. She didn't bring this onto herself. Love makes you not see things clearly. And I definitely agree with Tyler up there on this. I'm sorry, but you really can't blame the victim. And those who are need to just stop, because it's not helping anything. Unless you've been in her shoes, and have known what this kind of abuse can do (which is what she went through with that family, abuse), then you have NO RIGHT to say anything.

I do hope she gets better, and that guy (and really, the whole family) gets punished for this atrocity.

Posted by: Kyla | Nov 30, 2012 1:27:48 PM

7. That SOB should get charged with attempted murder! P.S. When Sr. shot Jr. he should of shot twice, to make sure he was dead & then turn the gun on himself!

Posted by: Tom | Nov 30, 2012 1:28:52 PM

8. the hawkins family-- not exactly the cleavers: http://blog.al.com/live/2012/11/scene_of_the_thanksgiving_beat.html

Posted by: khan | Nov 30, 2012 1:53:48 PM

9. Scorpio Sky is the wrestler who thinks it's OK to stir up hatred and violence against gay people.
    Please send this fake Christian a Tweet on @ScorpioSky and tell him what you think about his views.

Also, his employer's email is Feedback@Kdoc.tv. Let them hear from you too.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 30, 2012 2:20:35 PM

10. If people in Alabama didn't sit down to dinner with folks who had beaten them in the past, they'd just cancel Thanksgiving in the state.

Posted by: BobN | Nov 30, 2012 3:47:50 PM

11. He needs to be in a psych ward until he can be determined competent for a trial for 2nd degree murder.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 30, 2012 3:58:11 PM

12. prayer's to mallory and her family, I have kept up with this story since day one..... Mallory was not thinking clearly, hell who could with the severe beating she took? Ally Hawkins the gf, is a snake in the grass and she is slitering with the rest of her twisted hawkins family,,,,,,I hope and pray the punk gets what he deserve's and the rest of that twisted bunch are held liable too...... way to go Mallory Owens.......:)

Posted by: Becky Davion | Nov 30, 2012 4:33:13 PM

13. Oh BOBN, that was a good one.
    Otherwise, Jessica Naomi said everything that needs to be said about this sad situation.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 30, 2012 4:54:25 PM

14. This is certainly an answer to my prayers! This young woman, Mallory (bless her heart) WAS being manipulated by that family, and I knew it. Blessings to you, dear heart. May you heal quickly in body, soul, and mind, and may your future hold all of the best for you.
    Susan Isabella Sheehan

Posted by: Susan | Nov 30, 2012 6:29:01 PM

15. For a moment i wondered why we haven't heard from Gloria Allred. Ohyea.

Posted by: grego | Nov 30, 2012 9:18:12 PM

16. i was reading some comments. please define "christian" it has come to be known from everything from decent, nurturing , caring people to the imperial wizards of the ku klux klan.

Posted by: tommy | Dec 1, 2012 2:35:15 AM

17. Get a gun. If he tries to attack you, shoot him right between the eyes.

Posted by: hornlongjohn | Dec 1, 2012 8:47:28 AM

18. Obviously nothing excuses the kind of physical assault Mallory was subjected to.

I don't know if it's true (maybe she's lying tp protect her brother) but Ally Hawkins claims the real reason behind the attack is that they (Mallory and Ally) are heavily using drugs and had gotten into prostitution.

"According to Ally Hawkins, six months ago she and Mallory were so deep into drugs and alcohol that Ally Hawkins was stripping "to support my drug habit."

"One night, when we were both high, my girlfriend had set up a deal without me knowing, without me having no idea what was going to happen, set up a deal for me and her to have relations with men for money," Ally Hawkins wrote.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 1, 2012 9:29:07 AM

19. @James and Draek and Gregory--When you're in love with someone, it often clouds your judgment. When you don't believe you're worth that much, it often clouds your judgment. Have any of you ever engaged in any activity that was risky or later had bad consequences because you let your feelings about someone or about yourself overcome your rational brain?

Think about all the abused people who stay with or return to their abusers, often excusing each attack in elaborate ways. Those same people probably read stuff about Rihanna and Chris Brown and think "wow, Rihanna, sure is a sucker." Yes, we have a rational brain, but it's complicated by emotion.

A horrible crime was committed here. Yes, the victim should have never put herself in that situation, but you clearly have some kind of mental or emotional lack of development if you're focusing on that part of the story.

Posted by: Stefan | Dec 1, 2012 9:47:44 AM