Comments

1. MikeH says

This should be a wakeup call to all those in GOP controlled states, vote the F*er’s out next election so you can get your access to voting restored…

I’m lucky I live in California where you can register as a permanent absentee voter and just mail your ballot back. I voted about a month ago… no waiting in line, very convenient… as it should be.

I have friends who live in Brazil, where it is mandatory to vote. If you don’t vote, you get fined unless you can provide an adequate excuse of why you didn’t vote. If you are over age 70 you no longer have to vote, it is voluntary.

When I told them about the antics of the GOP trying to curtail voting they were absolutely aghast. They couldn’t believe a country which is known worldwide for freedom and democracy permitted such activity. I for one think we need to make voting mandatory. It is shameful people don’t exercise their franchise.

2. Steve says

Yes, Scott is guilty of trying to suppress the vote. That said, we had 8 days during which we Florida could cast an early vote. This period encompassed three weekend days, 7am until 7pm on each day. I have been voting in Florida since 1975, back when everyone had to cram it all into one day. This whining and these lines are an example of what happens when most of these people waited until the last two days to vote. I waited until the last two days to vote. Back two presidential cycles ago I went on the last day and waited nearly three hours to cast my vote. We had twelve days at this time and there were still long lines. This year, I went on the first Saturday and waited only twenty minutes.

The point I am trying to make is that, with all of the real cases of voter suppression going on, I feel that this is not a good example for everyone to be focusing on. In this case, with 96 hours that the polls were open for early voting, it is a case of personal time management more than not enough time to vote.

3. David says

Steve, I live in Florida, and wanted to vote in person because of the huge absentee ballot fraud problem in Florida. I had an absentee ballot, but I didn’t trust mailing it in. My husband always votes absentee, and about 30 days after one election here, he got a letter saying that his ballot was rejected because his signature didn’t match the one on file. The New York Times and Miami Herald had huge stories on how the risk of your ballot not counting is doubled in Florida if you vote absentee. I went to vote in person and saw the hours long line. I decided to mail in my ballot. There is no justification for having cut early voting from 14 days to 8 days. This is all about voter suppression and nothing else, and there is no justification for it.

4. unruly says

How is it possible that Florida could have so many problems with voting and yet Los Angeles (and California, in general with a much larger population and state size) does not? I’ve voted in LA for 18 years and there have been no long lines or insane hoops to jump through. It’s pretty obvious that Florida’s political leadership is intentionally f*cking things up.

5. Steve says

David, You did not have to stand in line to drop off your mail-in/absentee ballot. You could have dropped it off at the office without waiting in the line to do so. They were accepting them that way right through today in Pinellas county.

6. Scott says

For what it’s worth, Voting is not a Constitutional Right. States get to set election policy and certain groups (women, minorities and 18+ year olds) have had the ability to vote extended to them. But no where in the Consitition is there a right to Vote.

7. Gigi says

I just watched the entire video associated with this clip. It’s SCARY! The Talibangelists are succeeding in their plan. They’re slowly but surely taking over control of government. We should all be very afraid.

8. BRAINS says

Scott,

You could be a bit more expansive on your statement regarding the Right to Vote.

Although there is no Constitutional Right to Vote, the 15th Amendment does protect “your” right to vote if you choose to vote.

9. Miguel R. says

I’m not in any way justifying the voter suppression going on in OH of FL, but you get what you paid for. Hopefully the voters in those two states won’t vote for Republican governors that suppress their votes. Of course, it is hard to vote them out when they make sure that people in Republican counties can vote and people in Democratic counties can’t.

10. Miguel R. says

11. Diogenes Arktos says

@Unruly: Friday Night’s Rachel Maddow contained a segment addressed to predictable electoral disasters. One of them was Florida’s repeated screw ups.

BTW – Some of the Religious Right are already gearing up to prove that an Obama victory was the result of voter fraud. One pundit even thinks Obama wants the election to go to SCOTUS! (I kid you not.)