"Ex-Gays" | News

Alan Chambers And Exodus Show Us Their Theatrical Side: VIDEO

Chambers2012

It's unclear why Alan Chambers and his anti-gay friends at Exodus International decided to release this "blooper reel" of Chambers' propaganda flubs from over the past year, but they did.

But after watching the video, one thing is clear: Exodus, a conservative Christian organization that no longer thinks you can pray the gay away but still claims same-sex attraction is sinful, is one big piece of performance art, and Chambers is the star.

It would make for a great mockumentary if they didn't take it so seriously.

Take a peek behind-the-scenes AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. These people are campier than I am...

Posted by: Aaron | Dec 30, 2012 3:13:17 PM

2. Well, here's the question that this raises for me....

You know how you get sad-sack gay men who say things like "stereotypical gay affections are a by-product of the monolithic gay community forcing people to adopt mannerisms and act a certain way to fit in"?

*(note - they don't say it that articulately. but you get my point)

Well, there's a man who lives and breathes each day to convince folks that he's not gay and whose life-thesis is to distance himself from anything and everything associated with "gay"

WHY THEN is he the utter embodiment of a few hundred stereo/proto/archetypically gay *ISMS*?

Wouldn't a man who distances himself from perceived gay culture and "scenes" not have a single "gay-ism" in his mannered repertoire?

Would he be Butchy McButcherson since he's free from the, uh, "peer pressure" to conform to "stereotypically gay" mannerisms and speech patterns and such?

Oh well. Those of you who comment on here and read this blog and possess intellectual integrity will know the answer.

Nice try, Alan. But ya can't take the Mary out of yourself if you tried.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 30, 2012 3:16:21 PM

3. a couple of weeks ago we saw an interview in which nate silver referred to himself as "ethinically straight."

being that these 2 are no longer acting out on their gay urges (supposedly), would it be safe to refer to them as "ethinically gurleen?"

Posted by: alguien | Dec 30, 2012 3:26:25 PM

4. I thought these folks would be "ex gays" and not nelly gays....I thought I was listening to and watching gay men from HRC...wow the ex gay stuff really works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!notttttttttttt

Posted by: Bernie | Dec 30, 2012 3:27:14 PM

5. I wonder if his wife says "he's not gay anymore, he's just theatrical!"

you know, like i used to say when i was thirteen.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 30, 2012 3:30:06 PM

6. My husband was definitely not the world's most butch guy, but compared to these guys he was super butch.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 30, 2012 3:51:41 PM

7. Tragic at best, damaging to Gay people at its worst.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 30, 2012 4:31:19 PM

8. This video should be shown to all the anti-gay haters out there who think we can "change." If the leaders of Exodus still act nelly and queeny, you can bet your gay son will too.

Love him or hate him, your son will always be gay. So quit thinking that anyone can change.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 30, 2012 4:44:18 PM

9. I just emailed the link to the video to Linda Harvey over at Mission America. I am asking her whether this shows that gays can change from being queeny to straight masculine men easily.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 30, 2012 4:49:29 PM

10. @Alguien:
    "To my friends, I'm kind of sexually gay but ethnically straight"

I don't understand how you could reasonably derive from this statement that Silver is not sexually active.

I like Caliban's explanation of it (18 December 2012): "Ethnically Jewish" is the way non-religious Jews talk about their Judaism when they still participate in Jewish culture.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 30, 2012 5:26:29 PM

11. @Alguien:
    "To my friends, I'm kind of sexually gay but ethnically straight"

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 30, 2012 5:26:30 PM

12. @Alguien:
    "To my friends, I'm kind of sexually gay but ethnically straight"

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 30, 2012 5:26:30 PM

13. Sorry about the triple post. I got impatient with the website. I know, surprise, surprise.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 30, 2012 5:29:18 PM

14. Exodus is trying to show us that they are not really evil and insane anti-gay Christians but real blooper people who make mistakes. They are not funny they kill LGBT children and adults with their quack science of mixing anti-gay Christianity and anti-gay Christian psychotherapist who are frauds who make money off of sucker Christian parents who give them thousands to "change" their gay children. These ex gay therapy people are no joke they are cold blooded killers who know what they are doing they kill and destroy gay people. These murderers need to be stopped at all cost from harming and killing another person with their quack ex gay therapy. Ex gay therapy kills LGBT people.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 30, 2012 9:12:43 PM

15. I met Alan Chambers at an Exodus event. He stared down my crotch. I was over 50 at the time.

It was very early in the morning at Ken Hutcherson's church in Bellevue, Washington. I arrived on time. Everyone else arrived later. Alan greeted me enthusiastically. I'd kissed my partner when I left. Alan seemed more enthused than my partner. Please note: We're still together, er, my partner and I.

The guys who gave the presentation seemed morose, one step from killing themselves on stage. I don't know how anyone could be persuaded. A very nice woman seated next to me said she went to a church I knew was extremely conservative. The pain in her face was palpable.

These churches promise hope and salvation from misery.

When will they learn? When will they learn? When will they learn that love is love and sometimes you get love by lust and sometimes you get to love by being true to your humanity?

Posted by: Dan B Seattle | Dec 31, 2012 2:48:32 AM

16. I think I've seen him on DaddyHunt.

Posted by: LJC | Dec 31, 2012 2:53:31 AM

17. One more example of the harm caused by religion! This dude is f'd up!

Posted by: Paul | Dec 31, 2012 12:10:44 PM

18. I know that this is serious stuff, but just could not contain myself and I laughed through the whole thing...I have not been around queens like these two in years!

Posted by: Miguel | Jan 1, 2013 3:23:40 PM

19. I showed this to my gay friends. They groaned.
    I showed this to my straight friends. They groaned.
    Exodus International is akin to seeking help to change your Zodiac sign. Groan.

Posted by: Eddie | Jan 2, 2013 8:23:10 PM