Armie Hammer | Film | Johnny Depp | News

Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp Team Up in New 'Lone Ranger' Trailer: WATCH

Loneranger

The new trailer for Disney's The Lone Ranger remake is out though the film isn't out till next summer. This new clip takes a closer look at Armie's scruffy Ranger and Depp's crow-donning Tonto than the one we saw in October.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. looks better then I thought it would

Posted by: Disgusted American | Dec 11, 2012 10:07:57 AM

2. Hot hot is Armie Hammer. Damn!

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 11, 2012 10:11:10 AM

3. 1: Armie Hammer is the hottest guy around. Period.

2: Looks like a typical Bruckheimer over-the-top action movie.

3: How can Johnny Depp playing a Native American not be offensive at some level?

Posted by: gr8guyca | Dec 11, 2012 10:14:07 AM

4. I miss Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels -- both were much cuter!

Posted by: Bob | Dec 11, 2012 10:21:46 AM

5. @GR8GUYCA: Johnny Depp claims otherwise - "Tonto’s treatment especially bugged him because Depp had always been told his family was part Indian. 'I guess I have some Native American somewhere down the line,' he says. 'My great grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek.'"

Even if Depp has no such heritage, so what? He's an actor portraying a character. How he does that is what is important, not that he has a "proper" bloodline. It would be no more offensive to me than Denzel Washington as Don Pedro of Aragon in the 1993 film "Much Ado About Nothing" (he did a superb job IMO) or Angel Coulby as Guinevere in the Brit series "Merlin".

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Dec 11, 2012 10:39:59 AM

6. Oh and both Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp are hot IMO. :)

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Dec 11, 2012 10:41:35 AM

7. Johnny Depp looks and acts really bad in this.

Posted by: Jayson | Dec 11, 2012 10:41:56 AM

8. The William Tell Overture is missing...

Posted by: Grench | Dec 11, 2012 10:46:58 AM

9. They had me at the first sight of the smokn hot Armie Hammer's size 15 feet ....o and I guess Johnny Depp is also in the film

Posted by: slippy | Dec 11, 2012 10:55:49 AM

10. having grown up with The Lone Ranger & Tonto, gotta say this looks like fun.

i wouldn't want it to be like the series...

Posted by: mike/ | Dec 11, 2012 11:53:47 AM

11. Was I supposed to be laughing out loud at this? From the faux-serious tone to Depp's ludicrous makeup and bird hat to the cartoonish special effects, this is the silliest thing I've seen in a long time.

Posted by: jomicur | Dec 11, 2012 12:34:58 PM

12. @johnagj:

I agree with you about Denzel in "Much Ado", but when is the last time that a white man played Othello in black face? Many people would find that offensive.

in "Pirates of the Caribbean."

Posted by: gr8guyca | Dec 11, 2012 1:16:36 PM

13. Looks like a fun ride but I couldnt get past the whiteness of Armie Hammers perfect teeth.

Posted by: Will | Dec 11, 2012 2:30:18 PM

14. "I agree with you about Denzel in 'Much Ado', but when is the last time that a white man played Othello in black face? Many people would find that offensive."

Of course we're talking about a late 16th century play that is bound to offend someone (remember Shylock?). The same could be said of literary efforts of much of the world of that era, well from what we know about. Denzel played the Don without "white face" and did an admirable job IMO, so I see no reason why a white man cannot play someone of another race without the make-up. Period costumes perhaps, although in some cases they'd be pretty funny-looking and would have to stretch their acting skills quite a bit to pull it off. But then Denzel did it in his role and he's not the only one.

"There are certain roles and races that are more sensitive than others. This may be due to the way that race has been treated in the past - or, rather, mistreated."

Perhaps, but while such sensitivities should be taken into account it's not a barrier to an actor who has the skill to pull it off IMO.

"I was not aware of Johnny Depp's heritage. That certainly makes him appropriate for this role. Of course, there are still some Pirate-Americans who are upset about Depp's portrayal of them
    in 'Pirates of the Caribbean.'"

Meh. I knew what Depp was doing the minute I first saw his portrayal of Sparrow, even though I couldn't remember at the time Keith Richards' name. Depp was brilliant in the role and his performance stole the whole series.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Dec 11, 2012 2:42:31 PM

15. I wish someone could provide us with some more detailed and updated info about the star of the last attempt at this venture: Klinton Spilsbury.
    There are so many lurid rumors about that shoot and his behavior on and off set. Bits and pieces can be put together from the Net but nothing is really detailed nor trustworthy.

Posted by: gregory brown | Dec 11, 2012 2:49:57 PM

16. @GR8GUYCA, in re.: Pirate-Americans. I don't think big bankers or shifty businessmen really care who portrays them in movies, as long as the film's profitable.

Posted by: Inor | Dec 11, 2012 4:36:59 PM

17. @ johnagj

Without getting into a long analysis of Elizabethan racial and religious stereotypes, I would disagree that Othello could be played by a white man. Part of the dramatic tension between Othello, Iago, and Desdemona is the racial difference that makes Othello feel like an outsider. Interestingly, in 1997, I saw Patrick Stewart play Othello in an all-black cast. That is, in some ways, true to the original emotional intent.

As for "Pirate-Americans" - it was a joke, of course. If you noticed the credits at the end of the movie, it states that, "No pirates were harmed in the making of this motion picture. Any resemblance to current pirates, dead or non-living, is purely accidental."

Posted by: gr8guyca | Dec 11, 2012 7:36:18 PM

18. The tone looks a tad too silly for me, but I would not expect realistic seriousness for The Lone Ranger. Depp is bugging me (he usually does, post Pirates I), but I'll bite for just about anything with Armie Hammer.

I think whether an actor plays a race-inappropriate character is best determined on a case-by-case basis. The white actors playing Asian in the recent Cloud Atlas, for example, were offensive in every way imaginable. I'm willing to give The Lone Ranger a wait-and-see. And you can't judge a film by its trailers - - but this one was better than the last.

Posted by: Zlick | Dec 11, 2012 7:57:37 PM