Downton Abbey | Joy Behar | News | Playing Gay | Rob James-Collier

BigGayDeal.com

Downton Abbey's Gay Footman Rob James-Collier Asked About 'Male-on-Male' Kissing on 'The View': VIDEO

James-collier

Downton Abbey Actors Rob James-Collier, Jim Carter, and Hugh Bonneville appeared on The View today and Joy Behar had some specific questions for James-Collier about kissing a man.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

(h/t tncrm)

Comments

1. Gays kiss all the time!...Joy should know better than to ask questions like this already!!!!
    She obviously just hates all men now....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Dec 12, 2012 8:03:34 PM

2. Damn....Joy was really trying to put him on the spot. Rob basically ducked the question, though. Rob also said his wife doesn't have anything to worry about because "she knows he's not into it". Mainstream actor making sure to reaffirm 100 percent heterosexuality to public----check.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 12, 2012 8:27:25 PM

3. But damn he is hot

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 12, 2012 8:36:37 PM

4. @ Francis

Correct! And that is my soul purpose for NOT supporting lamestream "heterosexual" actors playing gay roles.

Posted by: Audi-owner | Dec 12, 2012 8:37:38 PM

5. Of course that pig Joy would have to get details about gay kissing. She's always trying to find out who's gay by probing with lots of subtle questions.

Posted by: Pig | Dec 12, 2012 9:06:53 PM

6. You know, Francis, I actually thought that was a respectful way for him to deflate the immature line of questioning..."ewwwwy you had to kiss a MAN!! What was THAT like? (Barbara doesn't want to know about that!)"

Rather than posturing his own heterosexuality, I thought his response was a tactful way to avoid playing into the homophobic direction the conversation was taking. Interesting perspectives...

Posted by: C | Dec 12, 2012 9:08:24 PM

7. Sure, it's in poor taste for Joy to ask those questions in this day and age but you guys are seeing things that aren't there. If the actor were kissing women, his comment to his wife would apply just as well. To me, his statement was one affirming fidelity, not heterosexuality.

Posted by: RJ | Dec 12, 2012 9:16:53 PM

8. Will the day ever come when actors playing gay characters are not asked that ridiculous, juvenile, dated question? What a throwback to the times before such gay acceptance.

Ewan McGregor handled it best when George Stephanopoulos asked the obligatory giggly, juvenile question.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 12, 2012 9:35:41 PM

9. C and RJ are spot on. Nothing offensive about Rob Lowe's answer at all.

Posted by: JohnInGa | Dec 12, 2012 9:38:10 PM

10. I suppose this is meant for straight audiences rather than gay ones, but it seems odd that when an actor acts as gay, we are suppose to think that makes them extra talent because no actor has ever played anything they are not. We need to clarify when an actor plays a rapist or a murder or a dentist or clown or a Muslim convert or whatever- that the actor is indeed acting. Because if not, then there's something strange about telling me that an actor is straight. The point of watching shows is the fantasy. I don't care if the actor is straight when I am watching him perform, and I also don't care if a gay actor is gay when he's performing as a hetero. Does it mean that being out to whatever on eis doesn't matter? No. It just means the novelty of being gay or straight and playing either doesn't make one a great. Now this guy is a good actor, but the conversation to my ear sounds weird.

Posted by: Factoid | Dec 12, 2012 9:59:37 PM

11. How does Joy Behar have a job?

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Dec 12, 2012 10:14:45 PM

12. Why are actors still being asked this question? No one asks a gay actor if kissing a woman is difficult or 'icky.' If you love the gays as much as you say, Joy, stop asking such stupid and irrelevant questions.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 12, 2012 10:37:28 PM

13. Stop bashing Joy. If you've watched her at all, on this and her own former program, you know she's a very vocal supporter of gay people and strongly denounces our detractors. I didn't find her question offensive in the least and was curious about what the guy would say.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 12, 2012 10:50:18 PM

14. I don't think Joy was implying gay is disgusting or icky. No, I think she was fishing for a headline, juicy response from Rob, and she didn't get it. It was more like "you kissed a boy, ooooh, did you love it". I think it's in poor taste to ask the question because it implies kissing the same-sex is somehow a completely different proposition to kissing the opposite-sex. And it's simply unnecessary. Barbara said "I don't want to know about that!.........or maybe I do want to know." It was basically like two schoolgirls seeing boys kiss for the first time, and with Rob being straight making this more of a risque situation in their eyes.

I don't consider it homophobic. It's more immature and stupid, and an borderline fascination of the mere thought of two guys kissing, especially if one of them are straight, than homophobic. And it's honestly too immature and stupid for me to care much about.

And RJ (and C), you're right, when you put the entire context of what Rob said in reply to Joy's question, he was talking about fidelity, not sexuality, so I take back what I said before.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 12, 2012 11:01:45 PM

15. @Jack: "Stop bashing Joy. If you've watched her at all, on this and her own former program, you know she's a very vocal supporter of gay people"

Yes, Joy is very pro-gay, but she doesn't get a pass for reducing this man's rather complex gay role to a giggly, stupid question about men kissing me. She knows better, but still plays this inane, antiquated game. People have a right to call her out on it.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 12, 2012 11:21:27 PM

16. Holy hell, Rob is hot! This clip reminded me why I stopped watching The View though. Trash. And Barbara is annoying and old.

Posted by: daws | Dec 12, 2012 11:53:04 PM

17. Can't stand The View and Joy stepped over the line.

It would have been a far more interesting turn if Joy would have addressed the issue of 'gays playing the villain' in shows/movies but that is far too intellectual for the heifers at The View.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 13, 2012 1:30:14 AM

18. ever notice how nobody ever asks gay actors what it's like to kiss members of the opposite sex?

i've had to mack on so many women. nobody's ever had to hold a barf-bucket in the wings.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 13, 2012 2:27:14 AM

19. I think you guys needs to keep in mind that TV hosts ask questions the old lady at home would ask.

Oprah did it, Montel did it and it's a common form of discourse for a talk show.

Calm down.

What's great is that he had a perfect answer for it.

Everybody wins.

Posted by: Marcus | Dec 13, 2012 4:25:15 AM

20. As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Thank you
    sense2 promotional ideas

Posted by: sense2 promotional ideas | Dec 13, 2012 5:04:35 AM

21. It's moments like this when I actually miss Phil Donahue. Stick-in-the-mud he may have been, but he at least did his damnedest to keep it intelligent... most of the time. I listen to Joy and I have to keep a bar of soap in one hand and a hickory switch in the other. I never know when I'm going to have to hop a plane and either wash out her mouth, or use the switch to beat the stupid out of her.
    I love Downton Abbey and can't wait for the next season to start. Nice to see Rob out of the pasty-face makeup and hair grease, makes him look edible as opposed to half-eaten. His character is one you love to hate, and I'm interested to see where they take him this season. But what I'm really waiting for is the nuclear meltdown between Maggie Smith and Shirley McClain!!! Ye GAWDZ!, this is gonna be good!

Posted by: Mommie Dammit | Dec 13, 2012 7:05:59 AM

22. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It won't work in Canada.

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 13, 2012 9:08:41 AM

23. What would have been really interesting is if he had actually told her the difference, at least for him. Kissing a woman is this and that, while kissing a man is very similar but also very different because of.....

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Dec 13, 2012 9:18:14 AM

24. You know, I'm not a huge Joy Behar fan but let's set the record "straight". She did not put any emphasis on any negative about kissing a man. She asked what was the difference in kissing a man and kissing a woman. For those of you who have never kissed a woman, there is a difference and it was a fun question and not one I think was meant to be homophobic or negative. That the older actor moved away from the hottie as in repulsion, THAT was homophobic!

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 13, 2012 10:07:15 AM

25. It's kind of sad we haven't progressed past these kinds of juvenile questions for actors playing gay parts. This is the same thing they asked when "Making Love" and "Maurice" were released, giggly bullcr*p to titillate low-brow housewives.

No one ever asks, "What did it feel like to play a serial killer who tortures people?" but a same-sex kiss? Oh yeah, THEN their enquiring minds want to know!

I don't think Joy Behar is homophobic, in fact she's the opposite, but it's still a silly question.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 13, 2012 11:04:47 AM