American Idol | Gay Marriage | News

Fantasia: Instagram Gay Nups Jibe 'Taken Far Out Of Context'

BarrinoFantasia Barrino's PR team claims the singer's comment about marriage equality being an example of a world gone mad were "taken far out of context":

Comments made by Ms. Barrino through her Intragram account were recently taken far out of context, and the purpose of this release is to set the record straight. Ms. Barrino is not now, nor has she ever been an opponent of the LGBT community. She has supported and performed at numerous events that are sponsored by the LGBT community.

Whether it’s through a live performance or placement on social media, Ms. Barrino uses every opportunity to reach out and connect with her fans, all of her fans.

Supporting an abstract community and supporting specific equal rights are not necessarily the same thing, mind you.

Comments

1. She could have easily come out and said in her publicist reply that she IS for gay rights, and gay marriage. She didn't. In fact, in a very calculating but clear way, the publicist quote completely ignored gay rights, which was the point of this whole situation.

I can't make a tweet and say "interracial marriage being accepted. just crazy what this mad worlds coming to with interracial marriages, and drugs, and craziness, yet people judge me and my life?" and then claim "I have black friends and even performed at a function with black people" and let it pass.

Maybe 20 years ago that kind of weak defense would pass with the gay community, but we've worked too long and too hard to let blatant bigotry go ignored or excused.

Posted by: Danny | Dec 31, 2012 8:38:08 PM

2. We really don't need to compromise in this society for people who are half ass friends of ours. Ya know, the ones who don't mind us doing their hair, and make up, and paying to see them perform. Then going behind our backs and stripping us with their votes & words of our equality. We don't need to settle for that any longer. There's enough allies, and supporters and millions of accepting souls out there to not have to waste time with people who work against your place in society, and more important, your equal rights under the law of the land. You can't be my friend when you believe you are superior to me under the law, in society, and in life.

Posted by: Bamaman | Dec 31, 2012 8:41:01 PM

3. I don't do concerts, or bars or clubs. So I don't really give a zilch if she performed a marathon of her songs at the most prominent gay ball called the gay unicorn while wearing rainbow flags. That doesn't effect my life, nor benefit the life of a majority of any LGBT. What does effect my life is my partner and I who have been together for 16 years being denied even civil unions in the state we live in, while getting taxed up the behind to pay for heterosexual benefits.

So spare me the gay clubs she performed at and got paid handsomly for. How she feels about me treated as an equal in America: *that* effects my life.

Posted by: Happily-In-Love | Dec 31, 2012 9:07:52 PM

4. Well, Well, Well, lets just say she was making a statement about why everyone that is judging her the bible says we all will be condemed to hell if we continue to do wrong that is all she was saying its like dont judge me cause we all fall short....re read her post to say some of you think she is ilerate then maybe you can not understand what she was saying meaning dont judge me im not the only one thats doing wrong things get a life...she got hers....

Posted by: leen | Jan 1, 2013 12:10:32 AM

5. yall miss understanding what she said she didnt mean any human people shes the sweetest singer ever and even supports the gays shes at gay pride every year

Posted by: ras | Jan 1, 2013 1:24:24 AM

6. RAS AND LEEN

No WE gays don't fall short of anything. If she falls short because she can't get her sh*t straight, sleeping around wrecklessly with married men, that has NOTHING to do with me being born gay. Being gay is no flaw, is no ill and is no vice. Don't compare me being gay to all the crap you commit. That's on you.

Posted by: Felix | Jan 1, 2013 1:39:47 AM

7. @ Leen

we all fall short of the Bible and will be condemned? I really couldn't give a damn what your fabricated, man written Bible says. It does not apply to me. When you use it to apply to me as a gay man, and use my civil rights (marriage equality) in reference to your Bible, you should be expected to hear a mouthful in return. Stop playing martyr behind a Bible. Your religion is not sacred to me. If you protest gay marriage, brace yourself for a reaction and response.

Posted by: Greg Cali | Jan 1, 2013 1:41:47 AM

8. Ras,
    No self respecting gay person refers to gay people as "the gays" None. You're not qualified to comment on what is disrespectful to gay people. The quote she made was clear as day, and someone with the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader could decode it. I agree that more than these ignorant quotes, it's the spinning of the ignorant quote and trying to make it innocent and gay friendly that is MOST insulting. Trying to insult our intelligence as gays.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Jan 1, 2013 1:43:54 AM

9. Ras: who gives a flying eff is some person performed at a gay pride? that's supposed to suddenly excuse and justify anything they say across the board in terms of the gay community? she's using the Bible and saying that gay marriage is condemned in it yet accepted in society. We get what her point is, it still doesn't make it less offensive to gay people and our rights. And she performing for PAID gigs for pride events doesn't matter much to gay people. It's how you feel about us being treated as equals that determines if you are truly gay friendly.

Posted by: Loyolo-fixin | Jan 1, 2013 1:46:28 AM

10. Who cares if a person attends gay pride? The Grand marshall of the 2009 San Francisco gay pride, soon after appearing in the Pride event, started to work actively for NOM, and went on a crusade against gay marriage, even on an anti gay marriage bus tour across America after their little Pride parade press stunt ended. For a majority of LGBT, it's how you vote, and how you treat us as citizens of this country that is meaningful to us.

If I have a friend who loves going to gay bars, and accompanying me on gay dates, yet states they are against me having a civil marriage with my partner; that's no friend at all. I don't care how that friend interacts with me in social setting, that they are against my rights is monumental. It's really not a hard concept.

Posted by: Justin | Jan 1, 2013 1:51:56 AM

11. It's pretty clear what she was doing- and there's no way around it having an anti gay marriage narrative. She basically says that she may have flaws of her own, but there's other flaws being accepted by society and it's a parallel universe when she's not doing harmful things, yet actions condemned in the Bible as sins are being accepted in this "mad world." That is the bottom line. And again, no matter how it's sliced to look pretty, she's not giving any ringing endorsement to gay marriage/gay rights.
    All these elaborate twists to make it appear more 'user friendly' are just laughable.

Posted by: Lydia C. | Jan 1, 2013 1:58:39 AM

12. You know what's amusing is that, for the most part, a great majority of people on various blogs, and sites and twitter are calling her out and recognizing the ignorance behind her words. Yet, lol only on towleroad can you find a few people going out of their way to passionately defend her and tell us what we see, isn't what we're really seeing. Count on towleroad comments section man. A sea of apologists, trolls, self haters, and heteros popping in pretending to be gay.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 1, 2013 2:01:28 AM

13. Jon-
    In most every thread on this site, you'll see a reply from someone quoting the bible while bashing gays. do you really think those idiots just go away? nope, they then pick a new name and post on threads like this defending ignorance and telling gays to get over everything. unlike the many other gay oriented blogs on the net, this site doesn't require you be a registered user. and with that comes virtually every apologist, or religious nut, or hetero stray who wants to give their two cents on gays and being gay. even though they have no clue.

Posted by: Dynex | Jan 1, 2013 2:07:06 AM

14. "The worlds gone mad....gay marriage legal, but yet I'M judged"

That's about all I need to hear to know exactly where she stands. No other psycho babble from the apologist crowd is going to successfully spin that. But let's entertain them.

"The worlds gone mad...drugs legal, interracial marriage now legal, but yet people want to judge ME?!"

Oh! woop! it suddenly got really ignorant with that quote, ey? And don't even deny for one second that if any public figure said the above, it would be peaches & cream.

Just because society says that the only form of acceptable prejudice is homophobia doesn't mean gay people need to accept that. Sounds like we won't, and I'm thankful for that. For decades we were in hiding. Now we're actually giving a rebuttal.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 1, 2013 2:57:21 AM

15. Shes right the bible does speak we shouldnt be doing anything to do with your gay ways. Gays asking for "marriage" when it's an abomination in the Bible. Go on girl, never back down!
    and this bull crap about being born gay, and how its like being born black. No it's not! You CHOSE to be gay. I didn't choose my skin color. I can't stop being black tomorrow. You CAN stop your lustful desires. You just not strong enough to.
    And the people here talking about gay black "brothers" child please! No real black "brother" chooses that sinful lifestyle. Most black men were raised in the Church. Real black men are above that weakness.
    And this has nothing to do with hate. We didn't make the rules. The Bible did. We're just following it.

Posted by: Truth sets you free | Jan 1, 2013 5:19:54 AM

16. Looks like Fantasia's fanbase has decided to make some comments defending their Queen.

Fantasia wouldn't be back-tracking like she is if she didn't mean to say what she did earlier. She would have made it clear what she meant and left it at that. An instagram message and tweet, both anti-gay, yet she's not anti-gay? Let's put it together.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 1, 2013 6:15:07 AM

17. A little hard to take THAT out of context if you ask me. Besides, her taking money to perform at a function IS NOT supporting the LGBT community, it's profiting off them.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jan 1, 2013 11:56:56 AM

18. Actually, a little bit of clarity goes a long way. IF her point was in fact "why are y'all hating on me when other things you hate are happening" then that's one thing. It's not exactly a noble stance, mind you. Sorta "Hey, attack them instead".

But if I've learned anything from reading twitter comments it's that they're usually the world-reaching equivalent of a bad drunk-dial.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 1, 2013 4:43:42 PM

19. I see ICEBLOO didn't get that brain for Christmas.

Posted by: MATTDUDE | Jan 1, 2013 5:26:45 PM

20. Ah, so Miss Thang is getting her bigoted ass blown off Twitter by all the good folks saying 'Honey, you said what you said - now we're calling you on it!' Oh, and trying a rewrite of 'Well I didn't actually *mean* it the way I *said* it' doesn't work anymore... and thank goodness!

Posted by: Oz in OK | Jan 1, 2013 5:28:32 PM

21. What a sorry ass PR comment, and what a stupid thing to say. Essentially, we can recap it as: she'll take your money, cash your check, show up to your benefit for the appearance fee/publicity, but don't expect her to do anything real for you.

Posted by: MAP | Jan 1, 2013 6:01:29 PM

22. Her words are right there; the context and everything. It means EXACTLY what you think it means.

That's a shame, too. You'd expect someone like her to be more tolerant and open. Such a shame.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 1, 2013 8:13:19 PM

23. saying that her comments weren't anti-gay is like saying Chris Brown just brushed up against Rihanna's face during their fight.

Posted by: john hernik | Jan 2, 2013 12:09:49 AM

24. As a GBM and casual listener of her product, she just shot herself in the foot. F baby, we were the ones cheering for a single mother to make it on IDOL and this is how you repay us? Donna Summer should have taught you something.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Jan 2, 2013 7:39:51 AM

25. She should learn that you never Tweet or Text while high on Crack :-0)

Posted by: Sarcastic Medved | Jan 2, 2013 8:40:40 AM