News | Oprah | Sally Field | Sam Greisman

BigGayDeal.com

Sally Field Speaks with Oprah About Her Gay Son, Her Future: VIDEO

Field_oprah

Sally Field spoke with Oprah last night as part of her 'Oprah's Next Chapter' series. One of the items Field touched on was her gay son Sam (who as many of you know serves as Towleroad's intern).

Field_samSaid Field:

"It's important to have a parent speak about racing a magnificent, proud,intelligent, funny, lovable, sexy gay son. And there are so many parents who are frightened of that and who don't embrace their children as they struggle. Those children are struggling to embrace who they are, what nature intended them to be."

Trying to find a longer clip than the one below, but until I do, enjoy the brief one along with two others in which Field talks about her next chapter and how her roles have informed her life.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

On her next chapter:

How her past roles live with her:

Comments

1. Surprised Oprah allowed it....her new network basically strictly employs homophobes. Known and very proud homophobes who tell their churches daily that being gay isn't right or natural

Posted by: C.J | Dec 3, 2012 8:39:35 AM

2. Oprah's OWN network is really no different than those really creepy Christian networks. If you ever have time, flip back & forth between the christian networks and OWN. You'll forget which is which after a while. So much mention of religion, God, preaching, and from the same anti gay people employed by the Christian networks.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Dec 3, 2012 8:41:05 AM

3. I often wonder why of all the gay friendly and just all around ALL-PEOPLE friendly, and very prominent preachers out there, why Oprah chooses to give a show to three who are on record as saying they believe being gay is unnatural and don't believe in gay rights. It just makes you stop and pause. Would she give such a huge platform to preachers in Mississippi who are against interracial marriage? It sends a divisive message in my opinion. And when I once tuned in to her channel and saw someone who has been featured on this very site as an anti gay force, who now happens to have a program on the Oprah Winfrey channel, it makes me as a lesbian feel completely unwelcomed by her.

Posted by: Michelle | Dec 3, 2012 8:43:47 AM

4. Thank you Sally!

as for Oprah. Child please, she hasn't been 'gay friendly' since she had an emotional break down over the Gayle lesbian rumors where she said it hurt her as if she were called a serial killer. I feel like her hanging out with the Tyler Perry's of her circle has made her farrrr more religious than she used to be.

I distinctly remember in all her shows in the 90s she challenged narrow organized religious beliefs, and was more spiritual based. Now you can't tune into her network without having to be saved in every episode of every program. No thank you.

Posted by: Art Smith | Dec 3, 2012 8:45:57 AM

5. I hope Sally's popped an extra Boniva if she's actually "racing" her son...

Posted by: CC | Dec 3, 2012 9:21:01 AM

6. Tyler Perry is gay and we know it! He needs to come out ASAP!!

Posted by: Josh | Dec 3, 2012 9:24:35 AM

7. Oprah is not anti LGBT Nate Berkus,Orman, Chaz Bono...Iyanla just help a lesbian reconnect with her father two weeks ago, there was a doc about a TG girl a few months ago on OWN.Lisa Ling has done five shows on LGBT community on her show.Besides Logo and MTV 's Made and True Life OWN has had more LGBT related shows than any cable network

Posted by: Kim | Dec 3, 2012 9:30:24 AM

8. "It's important to have a parent speak about racing [sic] a magnificent, proud,intelligent, funny, lovable, sexy gay son."

I think you meant "raising."

Posted by: Jay | Dec 3, 2012 9:34:18 AM

9. wow, three troll-aliases in a row spreading some lies about Oprah, eh? are we angry she's a woman or angry she'e black? ;-)

Anyway, Field is a treasure and her son is so cute it's insane. *le sigh*

rock ON, family!

her words are the truth.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 3, 2012 9:42:42 AM

10. Art Smith, you're obviously clueless. When the hell did Oprah ever say that? Never. She said the lesbian rumors hurt her because it implied that she was lying, and she said she wouldn't lie about it because that would imply that there would be something wrong with it. Check your facts!

And, you CLEARLY don't watch her show because she isn't trying to "save" anyone (certainly not in the evangelical sense). In fact, she has challenged Joel Osteen, T.D. Jakes, and Ted Haggard (obviously) on their anti-gay stances. You may not agree with the fact that she's giving them a platform, but she certainly isn't giving them a free pass, nor is she trying to "save" anyone.

And, when T.D. Jakes, Joel Osteen, and Rick Warren kowtow to the Jesus-isn't-my-savior-and-I-don't-believe-in-a-jealous-angry-God queen of New Thought, it says far more about their conviction, I believe, than hers. If anything, she'll open their hearts and minds.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 3, 2012 9:49:12 AM

11. That picture is a bad angle for Oprah. :-/

Posted by: rexguy | Dec 3, 2012 10:17:07 AM

12. Love Sally, sweet and smart as I expected.

Posted by: RobWest | Dec 3, 2012 10:35:38 AM

13. I don't know....

Joel Osteen, TD Jakes, and Rick Warren are hucksters and self-righteous religious ideologues so if you're waiting for them to get enlightened, well, I wouldn't hold my breath. They have their book of ancient fairy tails, the word of GAWWWWWD in preacher-speak, and they've gotten very very wealthy by doing exactly what they're doing.

So at that point you have to ask yourself, since this person is homophobic and unlikely to change, do they have any great wisdom to impart that it's worth overlooking that? Not in my opinion. Their anti-gay preaching and politics aside, all they have to offer are feel-good platitudes and homophobia is becoming harder to overlook. It's a little like saying, "You know, when George Wallace wasn't screaming his head off about 'n*****s,' he was a delightful man to be around."

I doubt Oprah is personally homophobic but when you have your own network you are who you promote and those three are pretty dodgy.

The Sally Field interview looks like it will be good though. When I saw the clip of her talking about her son, I couldn't help but think how horrified I'd be at my mother calling me "sexy." That's right up there with passing around naked baby pictures.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 3, 2012 11:09:48 AM

14. Joel Osteen is not a lie Kiwi.

Posted by: John | Dec 3, 2012 11:35:20 AM

15. Hahaha I love how the first four comments are clearly the same person using different aliases. Said person has an EPIC ax to grind!

Andy: I think it's time you start linking comments to external accounts like Facebook or Google, as lots of other websites do. Cuts down on a lot of the nonsense and encourages people to OWN their wackadoodle positions.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 3, 2012 11:41:30 AM

16. Hate Oprah and her homophobia!

Posted by: Mose | Dec 3, 2012 12:15:04 PM

17. Uhhh...if you have so many anti gay presence on your network, then chances are you are giving them a free pass.

Posted by: Mose | Dec 3, 2012 12:15:33 PM

18. Her network is awful! absolutely rancid. All that Jesus self help hogwash. It's laughable. Really, just laughable. And the ratings are a tragedy.

Posted by: cortez | Dec 3, 2012 12:17:23 PM

19. Oprah Winfrey let Rick Warren, who recently stated on CNN that gay rights are not real rights, to host a life class on her show. A life class.

I find it deplorable. And that gays are sucking her ass above shows some of you have no shame.

Dignity. Look it up.

Posted by: Alabama Dude | Dec 3, 2012 12:20:36 PM

20. I'm certainly not the posters above, and have been posting here consistently for four years now, but there is no justifiable reason for Oprah Winffrey to continually invite these heavily homophobic speakers as not only guests on her show but pillars of inspiration. It speaks volumes and she's absolutely alienated me and my family with her recent choices on her network.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Dec 3, 2012 12:26:10 PM

21. @ JAY

How would you react to Ricky Martin having the Klu Klux Klan open his next show for him?
    And don't argue for one second that there is no difference between KKK and Rick Warren. I lived by Rick Warren's church. The anti gay signs he promoted his church members to put outside their homes in Orange County. The hateful commentary he shared about gay families in 2008. The comparisons to pedophilia he's stated in the past. To give someone like that a platform, then give them a high-five and hug them followed by saying their presence changed their lives and their viewers lives at the end of the show is absolutely endorsing that person's beliefs, all of their beliefs. If you're implying that Oprah checked some of Rick Warren's beliefs at the door. Then so too can Ricky Martin with the KKK.

*and no troll here guys. I haven't made a single post outside this handle. Go read other gay blogs and the outrage over Oprah's decisions with these men as hosts.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Dec 3, 2012 12:31:19 PM

22. I like Oprah and respect her tremendously but even I can admit her judgment calls in having a Jakes or Warren so prominently shown on her telecast is shady at best, and ignorant at worst. She's not an ignorant person, but damn if the people around her aren't making foolish mistakes by branding the network and aligning it with such miserable individuals.

Posted by: Jony-Jones | Dec 3, 2012 12:35:12 PM

23. I've noticed anytime Oprah's name is mentioned here, a few posters with the same writing style get very defensive if everyone's not praising her. Same over zealous fan or a PR group forced to make sure the Big O has her gays in lock step supporting her. Wouldn't want us to question her ($) motives ($) would they now.

Posted by: LipstickDiva | Dec 3, 2012 12:37:06 PM

24. I never thought Opra hung the moon. Never got what everyone saw with her. And now seeing so many of my gay friends comments about feeling betrayed by her; thanks in part to her showing true colors with OWN, I can tell them to now have their own "A HA moment" and see the fakeness for what it was.

Posted by: A50Port | Dec 3, 2012 12:38:53 PM

25. I have never been convinced that Oprah is as big an allie of the GLBT community as many in our community do and have over the years. What's the subject of this so-called Life Class - how to wrap homophobic bigotry in Christian niceties?

Posted by: Will Hoffman | Dec 3, 2012 12:41:55 PM